Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

who has preforated leather on their seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who has preforated leather on their seats?

where do you live (so I can see how hot the leather would be) and how have the seats held up? I want to use some of this when I redo my seats but didnt know about the long term longevity of the material. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

i love the look of perf leather seats, havent seem it in an fbod before though
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i love the look of perf leather seats, havent seem it in an fbod before though
the 93-97 (and i think up into 2002) trans am has perforated leather. here's my hawks 3rd gen parts upholstery and you can see it has perforated inserts as well. it was optional on the hawks replacement upholstery but since the factory had it and i wanted to try to get as close to oem as possible i ordered them with it.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them in White and love the look, holds up well.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
the 93-97 (and i think up into 2002) trans am has perforated leather. here's my hawks 3rd gen parts upholstery and you can see it has perforated inserts as well. it was optional on the hawks replacement upholstery but since the factory had it and i wanted to try to get as close to oem as possible i ordered them with it.
i stand corrected, maybe since my nor my friend's fbodys have leather i forgot what they look like
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

No different than the stock leather
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i stand corrected, maybe since my nor my friend's fbodys have leather i forgot what they look like
you guys also have camaros i'm assuming. I think the Trans Am/Formula leather was the only perforated leather.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

^i dont feel so bad now- yes only camaros lol
Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

All trans ams have perforated leather and it doesnt make an ounce of difference to me, my Audi and Viper both have solid leather and the trans am's seats are just as hot. BUT. It looks 100x better if you ask me. Do it for that reason alone! Adds an awesome detail. BTW i live in California. Today, March 24th, it was 81 degrees so i am in the heat. Only downside is spills can seap into the foam as to where solids it wont. Same as anything that gets on your seats like leather conditioner etc. Nothing like having a passenger get in after a detail and get out with little specs of dots all over their back!!! LOL ok really, thats bever happen but i dont see why it cant
Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by evilZO6
All trans ams have perforated leather and it doesnt make an ounce of difference to me, my Audi and Viper both have solid leather and the trans am's seats are just as hot. BUT. It looks 100x better if you ask me. Do it for that reason alone! Adds an awesome detail. BTW i live in California. Today, March 24th, it was 81 degrees so i am in the heat. Only downside is spills can seap into the foam as to where solids it wont. Same as anything that gets on your seats like leather conditioner etc. Nothing like having a passenger get in after a detail and get out with little specs of dots all over their back!!! LOL ok really, thats bever happen but i dont see why it cant
actually only the leather is perforated. the fabric behind the leather is not. i doubt anything would get into the foam.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
actually only the leather is perforated. the fabric behind the leather is not. i doubt anything would get into the foam.

But its fabric, and fabric absorbs things. And that fabric touches the foam. And foam absorbs things. Its really not as big of a deal as i'm amking it, but it grosses me out thinking about it. But its pretty!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evilZO6
have you noticed any micro tears in the leather around the holes? Thats the main main thing I am worried about honestly. The seats getting hot and then tearing around the holes due to getting in/out so much. They're going to be custom stitched and all, so Longevity is something I care about, Lol

and putting dots on my passengers just sounds like lots of fun!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

The leather seats in both firebird and camaro are perforated. This does help the breathability of the seats since the leather used is protected with a lacquer coat much like many leather couches are. This makes the leather less prone to damage. Many high end manufacturers do this and it's not just for looks.

In response to quote in post above. The leather in your audi and your viper would be of much higher quality than the trans-am, it is more breathable from the get go. If it were perforated you would probably be able to tell a bit of a difference. To the op go with the best quality leather possible , it's amazing what a difference there is for feel, comfort , and longevity of the material. Good luck on your project.

Last edited by 02nwZ28; 03-25-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had leather seats, sold them, and I just bought another set to put back in because I missed them.

The perforation doesnt make it wear any faster, just dont get it on the outsides where it usually wears bad.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
have you noticed any micro tears in the leather around the holes? Thats the main main thing I am worried about honestly. The seats getting hot and then tearing around the holes due to getting in/out so much. They're going to be custom stitched and all, so Longevity is something I care about, Lol

and putting dots on my passengers just sounds like lots of fun!
In my 99 there is no wear whatsoever anywhere, i have seen neglected cars that look like hell but when you give them a good detail is still in great condition. In my 96, there is a light wear pattern on the drivers side upper bolster. But i have had my 99 since new and have always kept it clean and conditioned and treated with oil etc. As long as you take care of it, it can handle it. The conditioners and oils keep it supple and supple leather can give and take and bend and twist a lot. My 96 was neglected and only shows minimal wear. Leather is one of the worlds most durable materials, it isnt going to crack easily. If anything, the holes help it breath easier and prevent warping becuase it gives the leather a point to releive tension theyre really helpful. Worse comes to worse, lets say you have a huge tear across the perforated section, as long as you've kept the seats in good condition, a shop can simply cut the threads holding that portion on and replace only that section. I had it done in my 2002 before i sold it and it only cost $125 ish.

Originally Posted by 02nwZ28

In response to quote in post above. The leather in your audi and your viper would be of much higher quality than the trans-am, it is more breathable from the get go. If it were perforated you would probably be able to tell a bit of a difference. To the op go with the best quality leather possible , it's amazing what a difference there is for feel, comfort , and longevity of the material. Good luck on your project.
My Audis interior is amazing, the viper on the other hand? I would rate it a FEW steps below my Trans Ams'. The plastic is worse and where the suede meets the leather has seperated several times and faded pretty bad but thats not what this post is about. Get them perforated!

Quick Reply: who has preforated leather on their seats?