Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing adhesive residue on glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing adhesive residue on glass

Hey guys.

I have successfully removed the tint from my Trans-Am. However some of the stuff I used has now welded itself to my back glass and I can't seem to get it off. I don't have my camera at the moment or I'd take pics. It seems to be nothing more than just old glue that has run and re hardened on the windows. Nothing can get this stuff off though. I've tried glass cleaner (w/ ammonia) Tint-Off, Goo Gone, a wallpaper steamer hell I even tried some Seafoam on it!

I obviously need something stronger to get this crap off but what? If I can't get this off, I'm looking at over $300 bucks to get the rear glass replaced. I'll post up some pics to make this more clear as soon as the wife get's home with the camera.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

razor blade?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

It will come off with a razor blade, the only problem is I can't do that to the entire glass because of the defroster lines.

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a can of Acetone at a Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint dept. and it'll work, use it all the time for adhesive. Just don't get it on paint or fabric just dab your rag with it and rub in a circular motion and it'll disolve it.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
Hey guys.

I have successfully removed the tint from my Trans-Am. However some of the stuff I used has now welded itself to my back glass and I can't seem to get it off. I don't have my camera at the moment or I'd take pics. It seems to be nothing more than just old glue that has run and re hardened on the windows. Nothing can get this stuff off though. I've tried glass cleaner (w/ ammonia) Tint-Off, Goo Gone, a wallpaper steamer hell I even tried some Seafoam on it!

I obviously need something stronger to get this crap off but what? If I can't get this off, I'm looking at over $300 bucks to get the rear glass replaced. I'll post up some pics to make this more clear as soon as the wife get's home with the camera.
yes on the acetone. Also rubbing alcohol and vinegar both work. Vinegar works great for tree sap on windows also.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

OK I'll give the acetone a shot. Any worries with the defroster lines?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with a razor, if you nip or cut even 1 part of the defroster line it will not work anymore. I have maybe 2 lines I hit that don't work anymore. Your best bet is acetone or any kind of paint thinner and just rub the **** out of the stuff. It took me about 5-6hrs to get all the glue off my rear hatch for when I was retinting the car. Just so you know how hard it is..
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fccs
Be careful with a razor, if you nip or cut even 1 part of the defroster line it will not work anymore. I have maybe 2 lines I hit that don't work anymore.
Should be able to get a repair kit at the parts store. If memory serves, it's like conductive paint. You tape off the area around the lines and paint this stuff over the bad area to repair.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

try WD40 and brake cleaner also
Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

not sure what part of the country you are in but if you get a nice sunny day, put your car in the sun and wet a trash bag, stuff it up in the back window as best as you can and let sit for a few hours. This will make the glue soft again and should easily come off with razor blade, and rubbing alcohol.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

i just did this the other day on foxbody. after i removed all the tint and the heavy glue with a razor blade i used rags soaked in brake cleaner to take care of the rest residue. took about 2 cans and three hours to do all the windows but that stuff was really on there. i also read aircraft paint stripper was the best thing to dissolve the glue if you can find it.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Well the acetone hasn't worked either. I did try some aircraft paint stripper and it didn't seem to touch it much either. I didn't leave it on for very long though and it is a bit chilly in the garage.

I just don't understand how this stuff can come off so easily with a razor blade but no chemical is able to touch it? It's not the actual glue left from the tint. Any little spots of that I find I can take off with just plain jane ammonia glass cleaner. Guess I'll stop and get some brake cleaner and see how that does.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Here's where I'm at guys.

This stuff will not come off. I've tried everything. The brake clean and acetone didn't work. Looks like I'm going to replace the back glass. Either that or razor the whole thing and destroy the defroster lines in which case I'll need a new piece of glass anyway.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

something thats not quite as harmful but works good on all adhesives is 3M General Purpose Adhisive Remover. Used it on any and everything in the body shop. At least you can try it and if you do spill some on any plastic, leather, carpet, or paint it wont hurt anything.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coxta
something thats not quite as harmful but works good on all adhesives is 3M General Purpose Adhisive Remover. Used it on any and everything in the body shop. At least you can try it and if you do spill some on any plastic, leather, carpet, or paint it wont hurt anything.
See I've used some serious **** on this stuff. The paint stripper is no joke. So I don't see how anything that couldn't hurt plastic will take this off. If it's citrus based, it won't work. I sprayed it with goo gone and I think I actually heard it laugh. I'm probably out close to 30 bucks at this point buying different chemicals.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me bust this right now. i tint windows for 10 hours a day 5 days a week. use ammonia from home depot. works wonders. if that doesnt do the trick use some "greased lightning" de greaser and lay a black trash bag on the inside of the window so the degreaser is between the glass and trash bag and park the car outside for an hour or two. DO NOT HEAT with a torch or heatgun! do so and have fun picking up glass! after a few hours it will come right off. use a scrubbie pad similar to the rough side of a sponge to rub with. if it doesnt come off take it to a decent tint shop that has a steamer and i gurantee it will come off! good luck!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw the ammonia is like 4 bucks! PS i have seen ammonia make glue residue from 8 year old tint melt with. it also doesnt hurt carpet, plastic interior panels, or paint(from what ive seen) i wouldnt push ur luck though!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transaman98
let me bust this right now. i tint windows for 10 hours a day 5 days a week. use ammonia from home depot. works wonders. if that doesnt do the trick use some "greased lightning" de greaser and lay a black trash bag on the inside of the window so the degreaser is between the glass and trash bag and park the car outside for an hour or two. DO NOT HEAT with a torch or heatgun! do so and have fun picking up glass! after a few hours it will come right off. use a scrubbie pad similar to the rough side of a sponge to rub with. if it doesnt come off take it to a decent tint shop that has a steamer and i gurantee it will come off! good luck!
OK I'll give the ammonia a shot. I have tried using my wallpaper steamer on it already. Are you taking about the kind of steamer that has "powered" steam? Like the as seen on TV cleaner things?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget your doing this in a month where its going to be hard also. I did mine in May on a day when it was around 75 outside. You just gotta keep using elbow grease and be very patient, your back will probably hurt on that rear hatch sitting there doing that **** haha. If I had to do it again I would probably kill myself.