Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Making a Convertible into a T-top(TARGA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a Convertible into a T-top(TARGA)

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys thought about my idea and anyone that has either known or heard of anyone doing it so i can get more info. Im trying to decide if i want to do this so the more info the better, or if you just think its a dumb idea.

My Crazy way of thinking:
Ok guys, here's the deal, i have a 99 Convertible Camaro and im tired of the top. Its ragged and im over it, besides i have a one year old daughter and she doesnt do well with the top down. SO, i have been thinking, since the convertible has more bracing than the t-tops, why couldnt a put a t top sail panel, hatch onto my vert and fab up a targa top. Its something different and still keeps the stregth and regidity of the body thanks to the steel beams running down the sides of the car. I know i can get everything i need out of a junk yard other than the targa top which mabey i can talk to 6littereater about, other than that its just the matter of if everything will work together and how much work to convert from a vert to a sail panel. I have no clue how it is designed into the car so i cant even begin to start to know how much work this could be.

I would just trade it in on a t-top car but ive already done too much to this car, i dont feel like starting over again. Anyways, what are your thoughts guys? Please keep the negative responses down to a dull roar, i am just doing research.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be interesting if you could make it happen.
One big obstacle I see you running into is our trunk area, as you know we have an actual trunk and the t top cars have a hatch so a ton of cutting would go into it.
I thought about trading mine for a t top car but it looks so bad *** with the top down and as soon as we have nice weather the top will just stay down anyways.

Good luck man and I am sure someone will chime in and say why dont you just by a t top car and dont spend all the money converting, but thats what will make it that much better if you can pull it off.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I love that bar you have.....where did you get that?

Yeah, i was looking and it seems like the trunks are the same, its just the plastics that are different......but like i said, thats what it seems.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks I got it from Wolfe when they were running the Christmas special. Its the bolt in one but it fit perfect with no problems.
Its the 4 point but you can easily have someone convert it to a 5 or 6 point as you need it.

Oh when I mentioned the trunk I am talking about this bar, the metal support that runs along the front of the trunk. It would have to be completely cut out since the t-top cars dont have it:

Excuse the crappy system it is long gone, I couldnt hear it over the exhaust anyways lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Rockstar

I've always loved the C3 vettes with targa tops, so I'd say this is a great idea.
I've seen targa tops that will drop into the back glass space, but they were made to fit f-bodies with back hatches. I'm sure you could whip up a conversion on one of them if you had to.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

damn im retarded, i forgot all about that bar. no ****.

Oh well, i didnt wanna do that but oh well. How much did you pay for your bar? Its only a 4 point?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Got any more pics of the cage?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my ttops the wind blows really hard in through the top and into the backseats, to the point where it feels nice and comfortable in the front seats but can be way colder and windy in the back seats. I imagine it's the same with a targa. Just something to think about if you're going to have a little one in a carseat in the back.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea if I remember right it was under $500 shipped.

Here are a few more pictures, I am thinking about getting some padding to go on it but havent decided yet.

With a 4 point you dont have the door bars but me being 6"4 270lbs I opted not to have them but like I said a fabricator could easily add them at a later time if I need to.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a guy with a corvette convertible who made a zo6 roof into a targa from carravagio and bolted it onto his convertible. He had like 3 different roofs all at once it was nuts and awesome.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats awesome but sadly it looks alot easier to do on the vette than our cars thats for sure.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I think it would be easier to leave the trunk as is and make a removable hard top instead of the rag top like jeeps have. Still expensive and alot of work though.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

I swear man, i think your roll bar sold me on keep in the vert......it changes the whole look of the car.

How would i go about making a hard top?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

I just did a t top conversion on my car, talk about a PITA! I couldnt imagine how much work would be involved in your proposed project.

Having said that, where there is a will there is a way. Good luck to ya whatever route you choose. Just be ready for disappointments and difficult situations. I am about 100% positive it would be easier to pull all your mods and transfer them over to a t top car and start over.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Captain
I am about 100% positive it would be easier to pull all your mods and transfer them over to a t top car and start over.
i totally agree...the verts are quite a bit different from the coupes. As said before the trunk area is much larger in the coupes mainly due to the fact they have a hatch. Also there are lots of other small differences..trust me as you know i had a vert and have a t-top car now and they are quite a bit different
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You probably could do it but it would take a good bit of money, and skill.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

How about making a hard top for the vert......does anyone make them or has anyone fabbed one up?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vert_z
How about making a hard top for the vert......does anyone make them or has anyone fabbed one up?
i think that would be something that would have to be custom made and would probably cost alot of money. As you know the verts have a decklid with a small trunk while the coupes have a hatch with a larger trunk so you cant just buy parts from a coupe and make it work unless you were to somehow cut off the whole roof of a coupe and weld it on your car. I would seriously just take your parts off of your car, sell it, and get a coupe it would be must cheaper and easier. Also believe it or not it seems like the trunk and everything is a little different in a coupe
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vert_z
BTW nice car man and I also have a faded top but I found a place that sells the black tops for $480 shipped so I will just get one of those. Like I said though as soon as it is nice out no one will ever see the top anyways.
You should definitely keep your car man and get the roll bar, you will be happy with the appearance then plus theres nothing like cruising with the top down.

But I am trying to imagine what a lift off top would look like on our cars, may look a little cheesy or it could look killer. I would imagine regardless with the amount of work it would easily be a piece over $2000.
I ran into a Vortech supercharged 01 Mustang GT convertible at the drag strip last year, awesome guy and he had a removeable hard top that actually looked just like a hardtop GT but he paid almost $3000 for it...
He said the only problem he had with it was that the top was very heavy but he liked to leave it on because the track officials would let him run without a roll bar since he was low 13's (we are at 8000ft).

Due to cost I think thats why we dont see any removeable hard tops for our cars.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

yeah thats true...i guess i just saw a hard top on a miata and it made the car look amazing for what it was..... was hoping there was something like that for us too.

Quick Reply: Making a Convertible into a T-top(TARGA)