Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help With Detailing Black.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help With Detailing Black.

I am planning on detailing my black 01 Camaro when the weather gets nicer. The paint is in good shape but it has fine scratches that I would like to get rid of. I did a search and came up with some good information on detailing black but I was just seeing if this would be a good choice or if anyone had any more information or advice.

This kit from Zaino is relatively inexpensive and looks like it's what I need. I was going to check AutoZone for some other detailing kits.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you live?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jersey.

I have a friend that will detail it and he does a good job but he charges around $200. I'm not looking to pay someone to do it.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

couple tips...

Be easy with the claybar, don't be too abrasive and make sure the surface is not dry. Go too hard and you'll have to go with something a bit more abrasive to bring back the shine.

Don't apply in circles, it can give you swirls. You can usually do it on factory paint since its usually more durable but for a better shine apply according to the way the light hits the body, easiest rule of thumb is it usually winds up being the harder way to apply (ex, up and down on the doors and rear bumper, across on the front bumper) If its aftermarket paint, definitely don't do in circles.

Also i don't see an actual wax in that kit, best thing after the clay bar then polish is to wax on top of it. 3 best options i've seen are the NXT, 3M, and Mequires Cleaner. You can use the list below, all cleaner waxes will fall as such and the other 2 stages usually are labeled within each brand. I normally use NXT but i also made a habit of waxing the car every 2 weeks (aftermarket paint). 3M is good for shows and cleaner is good for DD's. Again thats just stuff from the store, there is a whole world for stuff online.

Brand Shine Longevity
3M Highest Shortest Life Span
NXT Medium Medium Life Span
Meguires Cleaner Lowest Longest Life Span
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) Buy an orbital polisher
2) Buy expensive polishes
3) Do not let the car leave your garage
4) Quit your day job
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlover129
couple tips...

Be easy with the claybar, don't be too abrasive and make sure the surface is not dry. Go too hard and you'll have to go with something a bit more abrasive to bring back the shine.

Don't apply in circles, it can give you swirls. You can usually do it on factory paint since its usually more durable but for a better shine apply according to the way the light hits the body, easiest rule of thumb is it usually winds up being the harder way to apply (ex, up and down on the doors and rear bumper, across on the front bumper) If its aftermarket paint, definitely don't do in circles.

Also i don't see an actual wax in that kit, best thing after the clay bar then polish is to wax on top of it. 3 best options i've seen are the NXT, 3M, and Mequires Cleaner. You can use the list below, all cleaner waxes will fall as such and the other 2 stages usually are labeled within each brand. I normally use NXT but i also made a habit of waxing the car every 2 weeks (aftermarket paint). 3M is good for shows and cleaner is good for DD's. Again thats just stuff from the store, there is a whole world for stuff online.

Brand Shine Longevity
3M Highest Shortest Life Span
NXT Medium Medium Life Span
Meguires Cleaner Lowest Longest Life Span
Thanks! You're right, I don't see a wax in that kit. I've used Meguires High Tech wax before, it seems pretty good. I've never clayed or polished the car though.

Originally Posted by Trojan35
1) Buy an orbital polisher
2) Buy expensive polishes
3) Do not let the car leave your garage
4) Quit your day job
Haha, the car is rarely driven.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that I'm looking at Zaino's site, I can't find a wax on it.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Z5 and Z2 are paint sealants, even though they're labeled as "polishes."
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cleaning a black truck sucks all together nuff said
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

no need to us a wax after the zaino z2pro.
the z2 pro will last much longer than any wax especialy any off the shelf wax.
i swear by zaino and i have used other brand that are expensive and zaino is the best and most durable by far.
but every one is not me and people like what they like so that being said.

to get any decent scatches out you will need a polisher like a porter cable.
tropicare(a sponsor) has really good deals on every thing u would need to get started and he is a very nice guy so get his # of his site and give him a call and he will set u up.
also his products are very good quality and no mater what wax or sealant u use its only as good as the paint finish underneath.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaun
no need to us a wax after the zaino z2pro.
the z2 pro will last much longer than any wax especialy any off the shelf wax.
i swear by zaino and i have used other brand that are expensive and zaino is the best and most durable by far.
but every one is not me and people like what they like so that being said.

tropicare(a sponsor) has really good deals on every thing u would need to get started and he is a very nice guy so get his # of his site and give him a call and he will set u up.
also his products are very good quality and no mater what wax or sealant u use its only as good as the paint finish underneath.
The scratches are very minor but I notice them so they annoy me ha. I guess they're just typical black car scratches/swirl marks.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to buy the Zaino kit. Myself and a couple friends are going to split it.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by shaun
The PC is a great machine for all new users as it is safe and friendly. If you have less patience for results or want a greater degree of speed and correction ability, I suggest the FLEX 3401.

For the scratches, I like to use the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on these and other harder clear coat surfaces. It contains a greater concentration of abrasives to work faster by gradually leveling the clear coat to remove them from the surface.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to bump this instead of making another thread.

I finally got around to using the Zaino kit(Yes, over a year later haha) and so far I'm rather dissapointed. The car is in good shape so I wasn't expecting a night a day difference, the problem is I barely noticed a difference! I did everything as per the instructions, I did not use an orbital buffer though. I was upset most with the Z5, it seemed like it didn't do anything. There were very minor scratches that I thought would easily buff out, I did two coats and it looked exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, the car looks great but it's more because it's nice and shiny now then the fact that it's smooth and scratch free. I don't know if I applied it wrong, again everything was done just at the instructions say, or if Zaino is just overhyped. I did it inside, it wasn't humid and the temp was around 70 degrees.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

you need a pc and the mezerna polishes from steve at tropicare/ his new site. that is the best stuff for black i have found......
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grifter
I was upset most with the Z5, it seemed like it didn't do anything. There were very minor scratches that I thought would easily buff out, I did two coats and it looked exactly the same.
Z5 is not meant to remove anything. It's a sealant that will fill very slight imprefections.

An abrasive polish (like ZPC, Menzerna, etc.) is needed to actually remove blemishes.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turtle black box works good for me and way cheaper than zaino
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Z5 is not meant to remove anything. It's a sealant that will fill very slight imprefections.

An abrasive polish (like ZPC, Menzerna, etc.) is needed to actually remove blemishes.
Then maybe it's false advertising? I'm reading the bottle right now,"Fills fine scratches and swirls." I'm not trying to be smart *** but to me that means it should have some affect on the swirls and fine scratches. I know nothing about detailing and body work but I've read such good reviews on Zaino and I'm just not impressed so far. Again the car doesn't look bad but I was expecting more for the money I spent on the kit.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I think it's pretty obvious that I misunderstood what the Z5 does. Talking it over with the guy who details car at work it's clear that I should of used an actual scratch and swirl remover like mentioned above.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell you car and get a different color

i have a porter cable, and when i want to remove swirls i use menzurnos Super intensive polish with the orange pad, then i used the swirl cutter that tropicare sold with the orange pad then i apply wax by hand

once you are done, put your car under a cover in your garage and never take the cover off or you'll have to wash/wax it the next day. haha. i just did all that, drove the car 15 miles and its dusty again. i hate black for that.