Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cant get rid of the dirt marks on the car. Any suggestions to get them off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get rid of the dirt marks on the car. Any suggestions to get them off?

I washed my car yesterday but the dirt marks are still there (it's a black car). Right now I'm using Turtle wax Ice car wash, so I don't know if there is something else that would work better.

Also, when I first got my car, the paint had a real nice shine to it and the dirt wouldn't stick so much and water would just slide off the car. What could I do to get that again?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off technique is ridiculously important.
Secondly turtle products belong on the shelf of walmart and should not be purchased.
Third, wax the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brickyard
First off technique is ridiculously important.
Secondly turtle products belong on the shelf of walmart and should not be purchased.
Third, wax the car.
Quoted for truth. It probably needs to be properly polished and waxed. Not spray on wax, preferably machine applied carnauba wax.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure what you mean by dirt marks

Like has been mentioned, technique is very important. I would say that quality products are number one though. I use all Meguiars stuff but any of the Mothers, Tropi-care, Zaino stuff is top notch too.

The other key with a black car is making sure your wash mitts and towels are a material that isn't gonna scratch such as microfiber. Also, be careful not to drop either your drying towels or your wash mitt on the ground and if you do don't use it again until it's been washed. Dirt and stuff you can't even see will be on there and leave those lovely swirl marks.

Get yourself a clay bar kit and use that after you've washed and dried the car. They are very easy to use and work great for removing the bonded crap that you feel when running your hand over the car. Same as the other stuff though, if you drop it, DO NOT USE IT. Throw it away.

I usually replace my wash mitt and drying towels every year just to be safe.

If you're not comfortable using a buffer or a Porter Cable unit take it to a detailing shop and have them do it. They do a much better job than you can do with just your hand.

Last edited by waldershrek; 03-31-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

you prob should clay bar the car. I use Zaino products. please leave the turtle wax stuff at the store.If you clay bar the car and then use some z5 that should take care of the dirt marks. It will also make the water fall off your car again. If you need help I can help and give you step by step instructions.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like stated above, its all in how its done. Use good quality products and microfibers. Black is tough, but can't be beat when done right. Where are you located? There maybe someone close that can get you headed in the right direction.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
I washed my car yesterday but the dirt marks are still there (it's a black car). Right now I'm using Turtle wax Ice car wash, so I don't know if there is something else that would work better.

Also, when I first got my car, the paint had a real nice shine to it and the dirt wouldn't stick so much and water would just slide off the car. What could I do to get that again?

you could wax the car. turtle wax i car wash solution is great, but you need to wax the car atleast once a month to keep the pant in good shape