Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Suede Headliners

Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suede Headliners

I'm starting to tear apart my interior and wrapping my tan plastics in black vinyl and was thinking about getting some black suede and doing the headliner. I found some microfiber suede that looks good, but what are your thoughts? And if you have a suede headliner please post up some pics. My headliner fabric is starting to sag and its tan and I want all black
Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

What condition is the foam under the fabric on the existing headliner in?

Assuming it is in good condition, remove the old material from it, carefully...

Apply the 3M #93??? Foam adhesive, works awesome, to both the new material and the existing foam on the board. Allow it to become very tacky, almost dry, this will allow you to press the material to the foam without it bleeding through into the actual suede.

If you press them together before the adhesive is somewhat dry, the glue will saturate the material when pressed...

-Rick
Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I know how to do it, but thanks for the input. And I think the adhesive is super 90, that what I have used on past projects.

But I'm mostly looking for different types of material and some pics
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I've been thinking about using some black mirco suede on my headliner also. I'm just not too sure how well it might form to the corners.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheRedBird
I've been thinking about using some black mirco suede on my headliner also. I'm just not too sure how well it might form to the corners.
Its actually pretty easy. Just go slow enough to do it right, but fast enough to keep the glue from hardening up.

We did my dad's truck headliner a few weeks ago and made the mistake of covering the whole area with glue and by the time we got done with one side the glue was dried on the other. We used 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. I think the stuff is awesome, but it sets up pretty fast. This time I'm going to do smaller areas instead of the whole thing at once.

The edges you can pie cut and fold ove eachother. hey will be covered up by the trim panels unless you have t tops. But then just make sure not to get any wrinkles going around the edges.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Launching!

gonna be doing the same soon but in navy blue suede. thanks for the tips on the edges
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98NBM1
gonna be doing the same soon but in navy blue suede. thanks for the tips on the edges
No problem man.

I'll try to take some pics of when I do mine. I'm no professional by any means, but I'm kinda picky when it comes to stuff like that.

Right now my car is stripped to the carpet and this weekend that will be out. Hopefully I will have some black carpet and black seat belts and a black rear seat LOL in a couple of weeks. Now all I need is front seats.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheRedBird
I did mine with black microsuede. Never did one before and the hardest part was getting the headliner out.

For what it costs to have one done it is definitely worth doing it yourself. I did one half, then the other, only because I didn't have any help.
Make sure you wait until the glue gets almost dry/tacky. I have one section where the glue just started to bleed through in small spots but with the crossing sheen of the suede it's not really noticeable.
The more stretch in the material you use the easier it is to make it contour. Mine was 2-way stretch (stretched in 2 directions) which I would recommend to make the job easier.
Keep in mind if you want to get creative you can cut and glue foam under the material in different shapes (like flames/logos) that will look embossed in the material. What I will probrably do is ghost an image with fabric paint onto the material. Maybe a firechicken in charcoal on black? Depending on how long this thread is around I'll try and get a pic but I must say it definitely looks better than stock!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

IMO flames are over done and a simple clean install looks best. But a firechicken would be pretty cool and I have tossed around the idea on putting Z28 or SS on the headliner, but I personally decided against it. But IMO flames belong on hot rods and some truck have pulled them off really well, but I don't know about 4th gens

But post up some pics of your headliner, I'd like to see how yours was done.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have any pics of suede headliners?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice. I'll probably do this soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suede Headliners