Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

macewen gauge overlay!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default macewen gauge overlay!!!!!

Ok so I installed my new Macewen gauge overlay and as i was installing them it seemed like if you got it to line up on the speedo and tach numbers just right then it would leave a huge gap on the top of the circle where the gauge sits over the needle... Then if you would get the circle just right over the needle it wouldnt line up quite right on the numbers like the numbers on the overlays weren't quite to the outsides far enough. Anyways I found a happy middle and glued them down... ****, now they look great and fine during the day but at night ohhh boy you can't even read the damn numbers.... I should've known but was just hoping for the best.... Any Suggestions??
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

ttt..
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gfeller2006
Ok so I installed my new Macewen gauge overlay and as i was installing them it seemed like if you got it to line up on the speedo and tach numbers just right then it would leave a huge gap on the top of the circle where the gauge sits over the needle... Then if you would get the circle just right over the needle it wouldnt line up quite right on the numbers like the numbers on the overlays weren't quite to the outsides far enough. Anyways I found a happy middle and glued them down... ****, now they look great and fine during the day but at night ohhh boy you can't even read the damn numbers.... I should've known but was just hoping for the best.... Any Suggestions??
You should be able to get them to line up correctly. You can pull them back off and reposition them. A picture of what you're talking about would help. Are they going on a Camaro or Firebird? If they're going on a Camaro are you using the Trans Am bezel?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

They are going on a Camaro... No transam bezel... The look perfect without it being dark... Its just like if you look at the numbers it looks like the whiteface overlays are not positioned high enough towards the top. However, if you were to move them up any farther the circle cut out for around the needle would be way out of position and look bad.... I tryed contacting macewen and of course his mailbox if full and I sent an email but I doubt i ever get a reply...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

They are going on a Camaro... No transam bezel... The look perfect without it being dark... Its just like if you look at the numbers it looks like the whiteface overlays are not positioned high enough towards the top. However, if you were to move them up any farther the circle cut out for around the needle would be way out of position and look bad.... I tryed contacting macewen and of course his mailbox if full and I sent an email but I doubt i ever get a reply...
Yeah, Macewen isn't the easiest to get a hold of. I would reposition the overlays to match up with the numbers. Then when you put everything back together and sit back I doubt you'll notice the gap around the circle. If you do this and still have a problem, post a picture.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

How would you recommend removing the overlays? What do you think would be the easiest to get them peeled off?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

How would you recommend removing the overlays? What do you think would be the easiest to get them peeled off?
I would just use my finger nail on the bottom corner and slowly peel it off. I've never personally done this but I've heard from other that have. If that doesn't work you may need to apply a little heat with a blow dryer or just do it on a hot day. The overlays have only been installed a day or two, right?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Yah only a day or two.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wait until it's dark outside or pull in a garage and close the door to align them while your lights are on. I had to align mine about 3 times before I was happy with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Do you pull the cluster, pop off the lens glass, then plug the cluster back in without the lens glass, then you can turn on the lights and allign them?? Then pull it back out and pop on your lens glass?

FINISHED??
Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you pull the cluster, pop off the lens glass, then plug the cluster back in without the lens glass, then you can turn on the lights and allign them?? Then pull it back out and pop on your lens glass?

FINISHED??
Thats what I did with the ones I purchased for my old 95 T/A. It's a pain but believe me it'll be worth the time.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zuuhlsT/A
Thats what I did with the ones I purchased for my old 95 T/A. It's a pain but believe me it'll be worth the time.
Yup, that's it. Don't forget to put the trip-reset stick back in I forgot everytime and had to take it all apart again!

Quick Reply: macewen gauge overlay!!!!!