Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

white gauge overlays

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question white gauge overlays

Been thinking about it for a while, and I've decided it's time to get the gauge overlays for the SS. Just wanted some feedback before I order.
1. Macewen vs. Dynopro?
2. Is this a pain in the a$$ job?
3. What about changing the bulbs, what colors look best? Mind you I don't want it to look like a riced up Accord.

Any info appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I have a set of silver Dynopro gauges on my car now and I love them. I will not lie to you it is a pia job, dropping the stering column really helped. I didn't change my bulbs so cant help ya there. The people at Dynopro where very nice, I got my stuff in 2 weeks no problems at all. The gauges just slip right over the needles, I practiced putting mine on with the backing still on the back of the gauges before doin it for real. when you do put the on for real turn your lights on makes it easier to line up
Old 11-09-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could you post the websites where I can purchase those gauges that you are talking about? I'd really prefer the kind that DO NOT require needle removal as I've heard HORROR stories about it not lining up anymore. I've got a NBM '01 Camaro SS. Looking for white during the day, blue at night, maybe with flame background.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

White face guages have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH RICE! Good greif Charlie Brown . . . .
Old 11-10-2003, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

I bought the white Macewen gauges. Had them done start to finish in about 25 minutes. Doesn't look like rice to me. I get compliments all the time from other F-body owners. I even have 2 white gauges on my a-pillar.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I like the white face gauges too (that's why I want them). I'm just not sure of all the freaky bulb colors and such. I thought that might be a little too ricey. But to each their own.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any good websites of where to get these white faced gauges?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check LS1 Speed sponsor------------->>>>>
Old 11-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

I've got the macewen. There has to be a better one out there. You can't even see the turn signals show through in the daylight. n: Pretty stupid. I never realized how much I looked down to see if they were on until I couldn't see them. They should have made that part clear rather than opaque.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bambeezer
I've got the macewen. There has to be a better one out there. You can't even see the turn signals show through in the daylight. n: Pretty stupid. I never realized how much I looked down to see if they were on until I couldn't see them. They should have made that part clear rather than opaque.
The trick to the MacEwen gauges is to install his Xenon 2x brightness bulbs. That way you get back the brightness you lost from the overlay and then some. I put those bulbs in the turn signal as well, and there is no problem seeing them in the daytime, even with the sun shining right onto the gauges.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have a link to a write up for this install. I have constantly heard it was a PIA, but a write up would be helpful to makle a full determination.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

http://www.streetillusionsracing.com/Josh/guages.htm

I found that link while searching around. I just ordered silver faced MacEwen's for my Camaro lastnight. Now I hear from the above post I need different bulbs to make my turnsignals work right. Which bulbs would I need and how many? What is this about changing them to the Xenon Blue bulbs?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Teching In

That write up is good for installing the gauges.

You do NOT need to change the bulbs for the gauges to work properly, they will work just fine with the stock bulbs. HOWEVER remember that if you are doing an overlay, you will lose some brightness in the guage and blinker indicators.

I chose to install Macewen's Xenon clear bulbs:
http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/xe12-5-2.html

Ryan MacEwen explained to me on the phone that the overlays reduce the brightness by about 20%, and the Xenon clear bulbs are about twice as bright as the stock bulbs, so you actually get a bit more brightness out of them.

They are all 194 bulbs and are very easy to install, the bulb sockets come out of the back of the cluster (you will see when you have it out of the car).

You need 5 bulbs for the gauges.
I also opted to change the blinkers and hi beam indicator, which requires three more bulbs. that is 8 in total.

Here are the results:

Old 11-13-2003, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

WOW! That looks AWESOME! Thanks a lot I'd started to doubt ordering them, now I just emailed him to see if I can have him send the bulbs at the same time to save me on shipping!

Correction, Ten minutes later he called me back. That's what I call good customer service!

Last edited by Addicted; 11-13-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

so we need the xenon clear bulbs? i dont want any ricer looking colors up in there
Old 11-13-2003, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rocco1005
so we need the xenon clear bulbs? i dont want any ricer looking colors up in there

I went ahead and purchased them. I wanted to easily be able to see everything especially the turn signals during the day. You can use different colors if that's your taste but I went with the clear ones that are said to be twice as bright as stock. I won't get the chance (might not even get to then) to see them when they come in or install them until Thanksgving break.

I'd recomend you find the phone number on the website or email Ryan. He was awesome to talk to and could help you out better then us. We are just repeating what we've heard from him.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Anybody out there used the dynopro auto white gauges? I like the SS emblem

http://www.dynoproauto.com/gauges1024.htm
Old 11-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by markgg
Anybody out there used the dynopro auto white gauges? I like the SS emblem

http://www.dynoproauto.com/gauges1024.htm
IIRC, the DynoPro guages are made by MacEwen, DynoPro just adds the small decals and resells them.

Therefore, they are of the same quality.

Quick Reply: white gauge overlays