Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges

I was wondering I wanted to put two gauges in the a-pillar on my car. What gauges would you guys recommed. I was thinking air/fuel and tranny temp. Any suggestions? Also what size and color do you find easiest to see at night?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

I would go with water temp. and trans temp guages. If your putting them in a pillar pod, I would get 2 1/16".

I've got the Autometer Sport-comp guages in 2 5/8".
Old 11-17-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to run an Air/Fuel meter, dont buy one from Autometer. They are completely worthless, and are only a disco light show.

Before you decide on what gauges you need to know which direction your car is headed.

Nitrous--You will want a fuel pressure gauge (electric)
You will want an N2O press. gauge (electric)

Large Stall Converter--Tranny Temp gauge!!

Forced Induction--Boost and Fuel Pressure.

With all of these you will want a good Air/Fuel. Check with www.dynotune.org for thier electric gauges. I am changing all my motor gauge over to thiers. Now as far as what size. Dual gauge pod, with 2 1/6" should suffice for now. Atleast till you start adding alot of mods. Then you have to get creative about where to place them. Another reason I like dynotune. Thier little LED display gauges and a bit of velcro rock!

Happy head hunting!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats right, Air/Fuel gauge = useless light show as mentioned. I have one, not sure why I got it

For your car, I would go with water temp and trans temp. If you plan on getting NOS or a blower in the future you can replace one of these with the appropriate gauge. If you decide to get the water temp gauge, I suggest getting a M16x1.5 adapter to install the sender. You can put the sender in the head by the #8 cylinder, which is very hard, or you can put it above the starter, which is what did, using the adapter.... E-mail me or PM me if you need more info.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I have an Engine Oil temp gauge and a Trans Oil temp gauge on my a-pillar. There are the Autometer Phantom Gauges since I have white faced gauges in my cluster. Since you have an A4, I would highly recommend getting a Gauge for your transmission temp. And since you have a 2000, you should get a Water temp gauge, since the one in the cluster is useless.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Is the trans oil temp different from the trans temp gauge or are they the same thing?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverStunna
Is the trans oil temp different from the trans temp gauge or are they the same thing?
Same thing.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

is there any other places than the pillar that i cant put gages, i dont want to do the three gauge pillar cuz i think it looks kinda ricey.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the three gauge and don't think it looks ricey , it will make a good place for my turbo boost gauge

I think Autometer is the only company that makes them for our cars. Not sure if they have a full pillar for only two gauges, you might have to get a pod.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water temp and oil temp.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

were can i get a pod for our cars? you meen a pod like the ones mustangs have?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I think Autometer is the only company that makes them for our cars. Not sure if they have a full pillar for only two gauges, you might have to get a pod.
There's none that I'm aware of that are made for t-top or convertible F-bodies, that are complete. For example, Autometer makes their triple gauge pod, but it doesn't have the flat portion at the top of the windshield, so it will only work for hardtop cars. Lotek makes a dual gauge pod, but it doesn't have the lower side portion or the round vent built into it. You're expected to cut your stock one off, and mold it into the new A-pillar.

I've got the Lotek pillar, but I'm really not happy with it. If I hadn't gotten a deal on the gauges with the pillar, I would not have went with it.

Here's a picture:
www.unrealhp.com/misc/lotekpillar.jpg

Oh yeah, and about the A:F gauge from Autometer... I have one, and I'll say this; it's nice to have it there for a little peace of mind when you're at WOT and on the bottle. It takes readings off of your O2's millivolt outputs, which fluctuate at part throttle, but become steady at WOT. So whatever your PCM see's is what that gauge see's too.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
There's none that I'm aware of that are made for t-top or convertible F-bodies, that are complete. For example, Autometer makes their triple gauge pod, but it doesn't have the flat portion at the top of the windshield, so it will only work for hardtop cars. Lotek makes a dual gauge pod, but it doesn't have the lower side portion or the round vent built into it. You're expected to cut your stock one off, and mold it into the new A-pillar.

I've got the Lotek pillar, but I'm really not happy with it. If I hadn't gotten a deal on the gauges with the pillar, I would not have went with it.

Here's a picture:
www.unrealhp.com/misc/lotekpillar.jpg
I bought the Lotek gauge pod too, and I was totally disappointed. Complete waste of money in my opinion. And don't get me started on the quality of the piece. I didn't realize I was going to have to cut up my factory gauge pod until I got it in the mail. I went ahead and tried to get the section I cut off to stick to the Lotek pillar and it just wouldn't stay. So I threw it away along with the factory pillar I mutilated and bought another factory pillar and went ahead and ordered the Autometer Gauge pod. I love my Autometer gauge pod. Took it to a local paint shop were they painted it for me to exactly match my interior and the fit was perfect. Slides right over your factory pillar and I only used one little plug to hold it in place and it hasn't moved since. Great build and quality. They make two versions, one for hardtops and one for T-tops. And the make them in a two guage version, or three gauge version. I have the T-top, two gauge set-up. Nothing ricey about it.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Graphite_WS6
They make two versions, one for hardtops and one for T-tops. And the make them in a two guage version, or three gauge version. I have the T-top, two gauge set-up. Nothing ricey about it.
Do you have any pictures, or links to the gauge pillar that you have? I've asked a couple vendors to get me a three gauge pod for my car, but they all claim Autometer only makes them for hardtops.

Also, if you have pics, I would be interested in seeing some that show the mounting points, and edges of the Autometer pillar.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I have pics in my album

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291571911

I'm pretty sure Jegs has the gauge pod your looking for.

Autometers site says they have their pods for hard tops and T-tops just like I mentioned before.

http://www.autometer.com/hp/2003_cat...eworks/16.html

Oh, and by the way....I went out during lunch and took those pics of my gauges just for you.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

anyone do three gauges in the center vents in a t\a im thinking of doin that but i need pics and opnions

Quick Reply: Gauges