Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bulb to LED List

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I figured I'd upload a couple pictures of how mine turned out with LED's...it's exactly what I wanted. These are the "Cool White WLED-xHP6" bulbs behind stock overlays.

As you can see, my Alpine head unit (CDA-9886) lights up blue and white...so I wanted the slight blueish tint...the combo of a cool white bulb being just a little more blue than white, and the stock overlays having a slightly blue hue to them also...It all matches up perfectly.

I also did LED bulbs in the rearview mirror (my 2000 has the older style mirror, and it's a late 2000...I think the newer mirror might be 2001-2002 only) and in the dome light, as well as in the door panels and headlight switch...did some soldering on the headlight switch, and I need to take the passenger side door panel apart again, I think I assembled something improperly...the light doesn't come out nearly as well on that side as it does the drivers side.

I'm also working on dissassembling a spare set of stereo controls from the steering wheel and figuring out what to do with some SMD LED soldering to make them light up the same as right now they look yellow in comparison to the rest of the interior.

Yes my car does have 190,457 miles on it...yes it does have the original clutch still too .
best guestimate as to total cost + total hours invested?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question

did some soldering on the headlight switch
Just wondering what soldering your refereing to? My 99 headlight switch only had one small bulb on top in a screw in socket, take the socket out, swap bulbs, screw the socket back in...did I miss anoither one some where?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent about $55 and it took me about an hour total.

When I swapped the bulb in the socket in my headlight switch, it didn't want to maintain a solid connection, so I soldered the tiny wires to the contacts in the switch...if yours stays working without it, then yeah, no need to solder.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That definitely seems worth it! Thanks, Mike!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

For those of us that have no idea what so ever what an XYZ bulb is could we post some pictures. Obviously, I am seeing the end results are very nice. From what I am gathering most of these are just simple pull the old bulb out and put the new LED in there?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really helps! Especially since I am looking for LEDs.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
For those of us that have no idea what so ever what an XYZ bulb is could we post some pictures. Obviously, I am seeing the end results are very nice. From what I am gathering most of these are just simple pull the old bulb out and put the new LED in there?
This picture is the WLED-HP6 that works very very well in the dash (I borrowed the picture from the Superbriteled's website...I hope thats ok, if not I hope a mod will let me know without banning me and I'll remove it). Twist the sockets out from the back side, pull the original bulbs out, pop these in place of them...the small circuit boards are designed to go right into the socket where the old bulbs were located...then just put the sockets back in. They come in all sorts of colors at the Superbriteled's website.

I think in the picture I posted, the speedo and tach look a little brighter than the other 4 gauges...but in person, everything is very very very evenly lit, I'm very pleased with the results.
Attached Thumbnails Bulb to LED List-wled-whp6.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Yeah, that definetly helps. I am much more of a visual learner so seeing things is the way to go. I understand now.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

I should point out you CAN still dim the dashboard...but it's not nearly as adjustable as it used to be...I don't care because I like it bright...but if you like it dim, this is not the route to take. I can shut the light completely off still, which I also love to do on a dark road at night when the cruise control is keeping my speed under control (Alpine head unit "blackout" feature kicks *** here too)...but the range I can dim it in is pretty slim.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

NOTE: on the green and blue leds for high beam and turn signal, I find the leds mentioned above are not brite enough for daytime running, for those you would want a driect firing led versus a spread out one like the ones above, IMHO.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a little write up I did on our site for our overlays. (but we've got pics all over our site of LED's in gauges, stock and custom):

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...p?topic=1077.0
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
NOTE: on the green and blue leds for high beam and turn signal, I find the leds mentioned above are not brite enough for daytime running, for those you would want a driect firing led versus a spread out one like the ones above, IMHO.
My green and blue are bright enough for me. But I don't look for the signals, I can hear it ticking. The high beam is just never on so it doesn't matter...but it looks sweet when I do flick it.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

This picture is the WLED-HP6 that works very very well in the dash (I borrowed the picture from the Superbriteled's website...I hope thats ok, if not I hope a mod will let me know without banning me and I'll remove it). Twist the sockets out from the back side, pull the original bulbs out, pop these in place of them...the small circuit boards are designed to go right into the socket where the old bulbs were located...then just put the sockets back in. They come in all sorts of colors at the Superbriteled's website.

I think in the picture I posted, the speedo and tach look a little brighter than the other 4 gauges...but in person, everything is very very very evenly lit, I'm very pleased with the results.
do we have a sponser here on LS1 tech and normally sell's these? or a kit? some of mine are burned out and i'm dying to get in there and replace them but just not sure what I need
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

So is it a big deal if the 4410x9 Festoon LED Bulbs in the rearview mirror and the Fixed Loop Festoon Bulb in the dome light stay very faintly lit when the lights are off? As soon as both ends of the bulb made contact they are dimmly lit, enough that I wouldn't notice unless i was looking for it. This isn't going to prematurely burn out the bulb or run down the battery would it? I wouldn't think but this is my first time dealing with LED's so I had to ask.
I actually only got one mirror LED in, could not get the second one in because I bumped one of the metal holders and could not get it back in place so gave up on it last night. Also couldn't get the door lights out, but read through the thread and found some tricks I'll have to try tonight.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured I'd upload a couple pictures of how mine turned out with LED's...it's exactly what I wanted. These are the "Cool White WLED-xHP6" bulbs behind stock overlays.

As you can see, my Alpine head unit (CDA-9886) lights up blue and white...so I wanted the slight blueish tint...the combo of a cool white bulb being just a little more blue than white, and the stock overlays having a slightly blue hue to them also...It all matches up perfectly.

I also did LED bulbs in the rearview mirror (my 2000 has the older style mirror, and it's a late 2000...I think the newer mirror might be 2001-2002 only) and in the dome light, as well as in the door panels and headlight switch...did some soldering on the headlight switch, and I need to take the passenger side door panel apart again, I think I assembled something improperly...the light doesn't come out nearly as well on that side as it does the drivers side.

I'm also working on dissassembling a spare set of stereo controls from the steering wheel and figuring out what to do with some SMD LED soldering to make them light up the same as right now they look yellow in comparison to the rest of the interior.

Yes my car does have 190,457 miles on it...yes it does have the original clutch still too .

Easy performance sells the boards so you dont have to soldier. I got some white ones from them.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

and I need to take the passenger side door panel apart again, I think I assembled something improperly...the light doesn't come out nearly as well on that side as it does the drivers side.
Did that help at all? I got mine back together and noticed the same thing last night but didn't have time to mess with it anymore.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Ordered my dome, trunk, and glove LEDs thanks to this thread
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what LEDs to use for the yellow running lights ('01 Camaro)?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

anyone know how to get the hvac bulbs out of their sockets? i cant seem to pull them out.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbotransam09
anyone know how to get the hvac bulbs out of their sockets? i cant seem to pull them out.
pliers

Quick Reply: Bulb to LED List