Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone ever added some courtesy lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone ever added some courtesy lighting?

(I know I have like a million threads going on, lol)

Such as extra courtesy lights in the interior, hatch, etc. I've been thinking about putting some white LED tubes or something underneath the seats, so that when you open a door or turn on the interior lights, they light up.

Anyone?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added 2 red 12LED's in the footwells that come on with the interior lights, along with swithcing the rest of the bulbs to LED. I pulled power from the cigarette lighter and ground is the white wire for interior lights that I tapped into under the dash. Keep in mind that although LED bulbs last the resistors built into them tend to burn out at least as quick as regular bulbs from my experience. I never took any pics of them, sorry...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

It's all good.. you can come install them for me.

I heard the interior lights turn on from the ground. So basically, I can use any power source and use the ground from under the dash, and they'll only turn on when the ground gets a signal, right?

So, white wire under the dash.. How did you tap into it?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
It's all good.. you can come install them for me.

I heard the interior lights turn on from the ground. So basically, I can use any power source and use the ground from under the dash, and they'll only turn on when the ground gets a signal, right?

So, white wire under the dash.. How did you tap into it?
- Elecrical wiring is the only thing I suck at... the lights and the start button are my only accomplishments so I'm not sure I should push it!

- Yes

- Yes... I tapped into it with a heat shrink "tap". Solder is probably better but it's in the interior?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

I used to be HORRIBLE at it. When I had my 3rd gen I wouldn't even use wire connectors, I'd wrap the copper around the damn switch prongs LOL.

How big is this white wire? Like 16/18 gauge? or is it huge? Hmm.. now to decide if I wanna do red for evilness or white for a classy look.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thin 16/18g, not a thick wire!
BTW... it says "Evil WS6" in your sig!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks dude.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Alright.. I have a question. I don't have the lights yet but I just did all the prewiring. Here's how it goes.

Quick splice on the solid white wire underneath the dash, on the harness to the left. (I was to believe that this is the ground for the interior lighting) I then ran two black wires (ground wires) one for the drivers side, one to the passenger's.

I then quick spliced onto an existing constant-power source red wire I have. From there, running two more red power wires to the driver & passenger side. Simple enough, a power and a ground for each side.

I took my test light, clamped it onto the power, and touched the test light to the ground I ran from the harness. With my interior lights on, the test light light's up. I then locked my car, shutting OFF ALL the interior lights.. and the test light was still on.

Is this just because the copper is acting as a ground source for the power wire, just like any other metal surface? Will my lights that I add in just stay on 100% of the time?

EDIT: ****.. I used the wrong white wire didn't I? I need the BCM ground, and I tapped into a white wire underneath the driver's side dash.. The wire I DO want is on the passnegers side isn't it.

Last edited by 98 WS6; 10-01-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just tapped into the wiring for the dome light. Wires are all hidden under the headliner, the carpet, or the center console.
Pretty simple really. And the UV light really adds a cool touch. Funny, how when I started to do this mod back in the day, I actually got comments from people that it was a little too rice...and then they got in (or saw my pics).

All UV LED flex strips.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I understand you can tap into the dome light too.. But I already wired everything. The BCM ground is supposed to control the interior lights on/off/dimming, and when they go off, the ground cuts signal rather than the power.

All i need to do is find the RIGHT bcm ground white wire, switch one wire around and I'll be done. I don't wanna run all new wires. Anyone know exactly where this BCM white wire is?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good cobrahunter

Quick Reply: Anyone ever added some courtesy lighting?