Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Under car clean up

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Under car clean up

Not something that anyone will really ever see, but I thought since I had the T/A sitting on the rack with the transmission out to have the torque converter clutched replaced and upgraded, I figured now would be a good time to devote some much needed attention to the underside of my car. This car is my daily driver so I won't be getting to in depth with the over all look. I just want it clean and to be some what easily cleaned later on. I seriously doubt this car has been ever had the underside cleaned in its life.

For starters I started wiping down and getting rid of all the crud and prepping it all. Next step was taking all the fuel and brake line mounts down so I could clean those and their hardware and tape up the lines. For paint I just used good ole rattle can black with a somewhat dull finish. I only did the middle section and as much of the trans tunnel as I could get. Next week I'll get to the over axle portion and also figure out what I'm going to do with the fuel tank and some other parts. I'm thinking of spray lining the upper panhard bar brace and anything else I can take off easily. Anyway on to the pics. I'll post the rest of the progress as I get it done.
Attached Thumbnails Under car clean up-clean-up-001.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-002.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-003.jpg  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a couple pics of the work completed today. I still need to add another coat or two in a few places to even it out. I also took some steel wool to the lines to shine them up a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails Under car clean up-clean-up-006.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-007.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-008.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-009.jpg   Under car clean up-clean-up-012.jpg  

Under car clean up-clean-up-013.jpg  
Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

very nice, I'm thinking about some appearance mods and this one I like.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has a oil leak and its getting damn annoying but at least its protection from the element.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Got a little more work done on the car this week. Got the brackets made for the coil relocation on the driver's side and plug wires routed, still just need to make the ends for them once those parts arrive. I'll get a picture of the coil mounting once I get the wiring for them cleaned up this week. But here is a pic of it. I actually had to move the rear most two as they would be in the way of the a/c compressor once I put it back in. Like I said, don't kill me on the looks of the wiring, I still have to clean all that up as this was just a test fit.

Here's a quick shot of the passenger side with the coils and brackets removed.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

looks good. I'm thinking about priming and rubber undercoating mine, rattle can style. It should prevent rust and dampen sound a little.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep I do this once a year I spend approx 6-8 hours on the lift removing parts and polishing up the underside to get the car ready for the upcoming car show season. Once I am done you can eat off the underside of the car

Great job

Sean
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Did some more work last night. Got the driver's side coil brackets made and mounted up. Also started on extending the harness, but didn't get far. I decided to work on the suspension some. I lowered the front c/overs and removed the rear isolators to bring it down some. I think the front needs to come down a hair more, but I won't know until i get the transmission back in. The front actually measures about an 1/8" lower than the front, even though it doesn't look like it in this shot. I'm sure I'll have to tweak it some after I can get it all back together.

And to kinda help see where it was sitting before:
Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Well the coil relocate is finally done. Now I just hope it starts and doesn't have any misses. Also spent a couple hours scrubbing on the engine bay trying to get it some what cleaner. While bored at work this morning I had our spray liner tech go ahead and coat the a/c dryer. I also took some steel wool to the brake lines to try and clean them up some.

Driver's side coils mounted and wired up.

And the passenger side. It was a tight fit due to the a/c lines and compressor. Took some gentle "persuading" of the lines to get it all to go back in.

Next up is the wire mod on the passenger side and refinishing the bumper cover mounting pieces and also the associated mounting brackets and headlamp pieces you can see in the first pic.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's those little things that nobody sees that make you feel better when your out driving your car...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Look-n great bro.!!..........keep up tha work!, Nothin like havin a car that hauls ***! & Looks good! LOL!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man i really wanna do the coil relocation mod... just dont wanna spend the 150 on new wires... i just bought some new wires when i put in my headers...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
man i really wanna do the coil relocation mod... just dont wanna spend the 150 on new wires... i just bought some new wires when i put in my headers...
I've got $48.70 in my MSD wires and $21 in the LS specific MSD boots and coil connectors.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What did you paint the valve covers and lid with? I'm thinking of doing mine in wrinkle finish.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KW4life06
What did you paint the valve covers and lid with? I'm thinking of doing mine in wrinkle finish.
It isn't paint. Its Gatorhyde spray on bedliner material. We spray truck beds and other stuff here at the accessory store I run.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I thought it was
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Finally got the trans put back in last night and drove it home. The front end did come down quite a bit after it was all said and done. I'm really digging how it looks right now though.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

aren't you worried about water intrusion on the coils being @ the bottom, exposed like that, the no coil look,looks good though.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Not really. But it might bite me in the ***. I'm actually thinking of building shields for them. Just drove it home tonight in the rain and no issues.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question

Just curious what made you spray your ac dryer in bedliner coating? Any performance gain or loss? And you used rattle can paint on your undercarriage versus the bedliner spray, I would have thought that would be the perfect area for it, if it was there for the taking?

Quick Reply: Under car clean up