Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

is this rustproofing or part of the rocker?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default is this rustproofing or part of the rocker?

i was taking pics of the underside of my car tongiht and found a section of that rough stuff on the rocker looks like its all bunched up. i thought maybe sometime this year something caused that to move but i tried moving it with my hands and it won't budge, and i also found a pic of last year showing what i think is the same spot bunched up like that

is this anything to be concerned about? the car has 127k miles, is 15 years old, and hasn't seen a single northern winter btw.

this was taken last year and i think i can see the same bunch up of stuff in the background so i don't think this happened over the summer. i wonder why that would have moved or could it have just been an error in application? the white stuff in the foreground is probably paint or something, its the bunched up stuff in the background i'm referring to

Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like you kissed a curb. i dont think it will rust or anything but ive never had to deal with rust
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

i never have either. it's a southern car and i don't drive it in the winter up here. as for kissing a curb i'm not sure how that would have happened. its right in the middle of the drivers side of the car and there is no bend in the metal just the undercoating is shifted over. my guess is that maybe it was lifted up somewhere near there at some point maybe. i was just wondering if thats a factory coating or if it was added. it looks like its been that way for a while. I'm guessing maybe before i bought the car 5 years ago and i just never noticed it. the other pic taken last year i didn't notice it in since it wasnt that close to it.

there is a bend on the other side which i'm 99% sure is due to a blowout in the everglades back in 04 and the fact a florida helper had to use a floor jack to get under there to change my tire (i didn't have a jack so i had to call them)

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 11-12-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that same exact rough coating on my 95.. always wondered what it was. Just assumed it was caked on dirt or something? Rust coating would make more sense..
Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

it almost looks like maybe it was on jackstands or something when it was applied and they sprayed around that area instead of on it. hence the buildup around the spot thats bare. my carfax says that w/ 75k

Vehicle serviced
Paint sealant/undercoating installed
ABS system checked
Cooling system checked
Rear brakes replaced
Drive belts checked

this was done in 2002 at a dealer in pembroke pines, FL by the original owner.

so maybe the dealership did install an underbody rustproofing at that point. hmm.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has that kind of stuff on the bottom. At least, what's left of it. It is coming off in some places and rusting in others
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
My car has that kind of stuff on the bottom. At least, what's left of it. It is coming off in some places and rusting in others
between that rustproofing and the 5w30 underbody oil protection that comes standard on every LT1, my car is pretty damn spotless underneath. it might also help that it's never been driven in a northern winter

these 2 pics were taken 2 days ago. i have 127k miles.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 11-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stuff on the rocker panel itself is there from the factory & while they look the same, it's a different material that what the dealers use as an uncoating. Anything beyond the rockers and rear wheel wells was added after the vehicle was built, by someone other than GM.

Mine also has those same "flattened" spots on the rockers & has since it was brand new.

Shay
Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98-mongooSSe
The stuff on the rocker panel itself is there from the factory & while they look the same, it's a different material that what the dealers use as an uncoating. Anything beyond the rockers and rear wheel wells was added after the vehicle was built, by someone other than GM.

Shay
hmm. maybe that stuff is factory then. i wonder why its moved over in that one spot. i don't know that there is anything else added anywhere. i was thinking that stuff and whats in the rear wheel wells was added at the dealer in 02 maybe. Either way i think it's still pretty clean for a 15 y/o 127k mi car. around here they turn to rust within about 10 years or so. my 99 malibu DD has 103k and visable rust on one of the doors, one of the fenders and under the car. i'm glad my T/A hasn't been subjected to that salt crap from up here.

i do wonder why it appears the underbody of my car is unpainted. i've seen red and white and other color fbodies with shiny underbody paint. maybe thats the rustproofing. maybe my floorpans were repainted with some sort of rustproofing paint since they appear dull? or is that just how black cars are underneath?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are probably right that it happened when someone didn't lift it properly.
It is GM undercoating intended to stop stones etc. from chipping the rocker panel paint, provide rust protection, and to keep noise down. You could carefully cut the excess off, straighten the other area using a hammer and dolly and then recoat with good quality undercoat. I use either Eastwood or Duplicolor rubberized undercoat.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

thats the weird part. there is no bend in that area. thats why i don't think it was necessarily caused by a lift. there IS a bend on the passenger side as shown in one of the pics and i'm pretty sure i know where that one happened, btu the one on the drivers side isn't near a jack point and there isnt a bend in the rocker itself or the frame rail (where the bend is in on the other side)

I could probably just spray that area as is but is it necessary? i wonder how long it's been like that. since the car doesn't see snow/salt i wouldn't think that area would be any more or less prone to rust than any other area?

Search this Thread