Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

firebird super white lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default firebird super white lights

does anybody know if you can get superwhite lights for birds?headlights and fog lights.i was also looking at the sylvania superstars.they look kind of whit in the picture at auto zone.anybody try them?and please no responses about buying a hid kit
Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the sylvanias are bright, but they aren't that "bright white" like you'd expect. i put them in about a month ago when i got all new bulbs for the car. i'm okay with them, but for that true white look for a bird, i've only seen that achieved with hid-and i, like you, dont really want to go that route.

i'll get you a couple pics tonight to show you how they look.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
the sylvanias are bright, but they aren't that "bright white" like you'd expect. i put them in about a month ago when i got all new bulbs for the car. i'm okay with them, but for that true white look for a bird, i've only seen that achieved with hid-and i, like you, dont really want to go that route.

i'll get you a couple pics tonight to show you how they look.
thanks alot.i remember when my bro had a civic one time with super white bulbs and they were sweet looking.I noticed in autozone you can still buy the bulbs for most cars but cant find any for our cars.ill probly just try the sylvanias
Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive been told my silverstars are bright as hell, heres a pic of mine. all lights are silverstars.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Veteran

NEVERMIND, i retract my statement. they arent silverstars i have. didnt pay attention when i bought them, kragens had to special order them and i asked for the "bright white" ones, but didnt really think about it once i got them in. after seeing hitman's i will now be buying all new silverstars. ^thanks for posting that pic.
-i have these

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-25-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
NEVERMIND, i retract my statement. they arent silverstars i have. didnt pay attention when i bought them, kragens had to special order them and i asked for the "bright white" ones, but didnt really think about it once i got them in. after seeing hitman's i will now be buying all new silverstars. ^thanks for posting that pic.
-i have these
yours in that pic are around 3200K. mine are 4000K. not sure if you can get ultras, those are even brighter than mine. oh and try pep boys, they seem to always have silverstars in stock
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Veteran

alrght thanks. i'll probably check them out tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately, Sylvania doesn't make SilverStar in the 4701 & 4703 size.

On top of that the SilverStar line is over priced and technically not as bright as their cheaper XtraVision line.

Its an optical trick. The coating on the SilverStar bulbs makes the light look whiter, but its actually slightly dimmer since the coating blocks some light, but the optical illusion of being whiter makes you think they are brighter. If you but the same bulb Silverstar next to XtraVision, the Xtravision will be brighter. This is in regards to the regular SilverStar line. I don't know about the Ultra line. Maybe they compensated for the coating and actually made the bulbs brighter. But like I said above, all this is a moot point since Sylvania doesn't make SilverStar in the 4701 & 4703 size.

You can confirm what I'm saying about the brightness just by going to Sylvania's website and reading their lumen ratings for the bulbs. Also, you can read the back of the package. Their brightness claims on the front of the package are in comparison to a worn off-brand bulb, so of course a new bulb is going to be brighter than an old bulb. I'm not making that up. Read the back of the package. It actually says that the comparison is between the brand new bulbs and some old worn bulbs.

If you want brighter Halogen lights for your Camaro instead of T/A, take a look at HIR bulbs (Halogen Infrared Reflective). They produce more light than regular Halogen, but are harder to find and more expensive. Watch out for the many fakes on ebay. One quick way to tell is by the coating. HIR does have a coating, but its not blue. I guess faintly iridescent would be the best way to describe it.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-25-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are those the sizes for a ls1 firebird?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Are those the sizes for a ls1 firebird?
Yes.

Low Beam: 4703
High Beam: 4701
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

^yea the xtravision's do put out a good amount of light, i just like the bright white look. so i want them for appearance/function. but since they dont make the silverstar line for the 98+ i guess i'll look for another
Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont buy silverstars for your foglights. they only lasted me on average around 1 year before they would blow a bulb. not a good investment for $55 imo. on my formula i went on ebay and purchased yellow 880 fog lights after blowing a second set of silverstars and they were much brighter than the silverstars ever were and didnt run anywhere as hot as the silverstars did.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else been decently pleased with switching from the stock Firebird headlights to the xtravision headlights?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

yeah silverstars BLOW!

they barely looked whiter and where not nearly as bright as the cheapo stockers...

i had one blow on me in less than 3 months replaced it then the other side went out after 6 months... i put the stocker back in on one side. once i saw em side by side i wanted 2 smack myself for ever payin extra $$ for the silverstars
Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm confused then... is Hitman using SilverStars as he's saying he is?

I always thought we couldn't have SilverStars on these cars. Do those Sylvania Xtravision lights work on our cars? Are they really brighter than the normal Sylvania sealed beams?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

sorry i was referring to the fog lights as mentioned by chryslerkid.

i'd say they don't make em for the headlights as VIP1 has never given me wrong info
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I'm confused then... is Hitman using SilverStars as he's saying he is?

I always thought we couldn't have SilverStars on these cars. Do those Sylvania Xtravision lights work on our cars? Are they really brighter than the normal Sylvania sealed beams?
apparently silverstars arent made for LS1 birds. but for LT1 birds all the front bulbs are available in silverstars. H4666ST are the headlights, 880ST are the fogs. the corners take a different bulb, dont remember the part number
Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

You will need to convert the sealed beams and use super white bulbs or something. No sylvania bulb will have the look you're looking for due to their lame DOT standards. Go here http://www.eurolamps.com/eurolamps/c...headlights.htm it is what you're lookin for.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ben77
You will need to convert the sealed beams and use super white bulbs or something. No sylvania bulb will have the look you're looking for due to their lame DOT standards. Go here http://www.eurolamps.com/eurolamps/c...headlights.htm it is what you're lookin for.
If you go this route, might as well upgrade to the HIDs. You can buy kits off of ebay for like $40. The results are great

Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea but he doesnt want hid lol. i love my hids heh

Quick Reply: firebird super white lights