Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clean aluminum heads to look like new

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clean aluminum heads to look like new

I'm trying to clean up my aluminum heads to make them look like new, there is burnt on oil that i'm struggling to get off. I'm wondering, what is the best way to make aluminum heads look new again? I read somewhere that someone soaks them in E85 for a few days and it removes everything, has anyone tried that, is that safe with assembled heads?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nickmkk
I'm trying to clean up my aluminum heads to make them look like new, there is burnt on oil that i'm struggling to get off. I'm wondering, what is the best way to make aluminum heads look new again? I read somewhere that someone soaks them in E85 for a few days and it removes everything, has anyone tried that, is that safe with assembled heads?
Just bring tyhem to any head shop...they make them look shiny and new.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stilealive
Just bring tyhem to any head shop...they make them look shiny and new.
I did but they didn't get off the hard burnt on carbon/crud.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Man...that sucks they couldn't get them shiny. Mine were 13 years old on my big stroker engine and had a lot of burnt areas. 100% gone after they cleaned them and rebuilt them.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't clean them well either. I think you should find another shop....
Old 10-24-2019, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383z
I'm surprised they didn't clean them well either. I think you should find another shop....
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed as well. The block came back with rust on the decked head surfaces as well because they didn't seal anything with wd40 while it sat. Not a lot of options in northern MN though. I suppose I'll have to start taking my stuff to Minneapolis in the future.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of things to clean aluminum with. Straight dawn detergent & stiff scrub brush can make aluminum shiny.
Then you have your acid type aluminum cleaners. You can get spray ac coil cleaner from hardware store. Acid can give a little bit of a dull white finish, though it will boil crap out of the pores.
Also a fine rotary wire brush on a drill can be great for cleaning up cast finish aluminum heads, leaving you with fresh aluminum surface.

Just a few options... Is engine still out of car? Personally I'd first scrub the crap out of the whole thing with dawn detergent. Let it sit on heads a little & repeat a few times. this will also get rid of oils . Then fine wire brush heads if needed & if block is iron, wire brush it , wipe down with alcohol & spray paint.
Get a face shield if using power wire brush, wires in your skin sting a little.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Plenty of things to clean aluminum with. Straight dawn detergent & stiff scrub brush can make aluminum shiny.
Then you have your acid type aluminum cleaners. You can get spray ac coil cleaner from hardware store. Acid can give a little bit of a dull white finish, though it will boil crap out of the pores.
Also a fine rotary wire brush on a drill can be great for cleaning up cast finish aluminum heads, leaving you with fresh aluminum surface.

Just a few options... Is engine still out of car? Personally I'd first scrub the crap out of the whole thing with dawn detergent. Let it sit on heads a little & repeat a few times. this will also get rid of oils . Then fine wire brush heads if needed & if block is iron, wire brush it , wipe down with alcohol & spray paint.
Get a face shield if using power wire brush, wires in your skin sting a little.
Thanks for the tips, I ended up using an acidic aluminum brightener and wire brush to scrub the bad spots and let them soak then pressure washed it off. I repeated that several times and got them pretty good, not perfect. I tried the e85 soak but it didn't remove anything. It did loosen up the soft stuff a bit though.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a gallon of aluminium cleaner from a truck stop a while ago. Brush it on and hit it with a scrub brush. This stuff works great.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Good cleaning agents and old fashioned elbow grease if your the DIY type.

Quick Reply: Clean aluminum heads to look like new