Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What other factory seats fit in my TA?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What other factory seats fit in my TA?

I need to change the seats in my TA because I have a huge rip in the driver's seat cushion. The problem is that it is my DD and I want to put factory seats from another car so I get better support. Those that have sat in cars with nice shoulder bolstering and side bolstering know what I am talking about. Aftermarket seats are just not in my budget and I want something that is comfortable on long trips. I can always recover them later to match my interior, so material is not an issue. I don't care about keeping power adjustments, since I will have brackets fabricated most likely.My questions are What will fit without any mods? What are factory seats that have GOOD bolster support? If anyone has done this, please tell me of your experience (cost, comfort, ease of installation, etc.) Thanks for any comments everyone.

Nick
Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...then I wouldn't bother with Camaro seats...I just swapped out my '98 Z28 seats for '99 Firebird seats and I like the Firebird seats MUCH better!

Does your TA have the seats with the lumbar support? Those are supposed to be GREAT seats in 4th Gens!

I've seen some posts around here with GTO seats in F-Bodies...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have to check out GTO seats. Mine do not have lumbar support. I was thinking like ZO6, BMW, Audi or S2000 seats.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I know Dodge SRT seats fit. Saw a car on here with them. I think they were from a SRT4
Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

GTO seats are expensive, large, and heavy. They are a difficult fit. You can get a pair of aftermarket seats from 6LE for $500.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...cPath=22_36_51

6 Liter Eater (6LE) is a sponsor.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I quickly just looked around ebay and saw GTO seats starting bid in the $600 - $850 range. I also found some racing seats similar to the 6LE seats for the $275 - $500 range starting bid.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will definitely keep the 6LE seats in mind, but I was looking to spend junkyard prices for seats. Also finding seats in a junkyard would allow me to sit in them to see if I like them with my frame. I just wanted to know what kind of cars to search for. VIP1, I really appreciate your input and like I said before, I will definitely keep the 6LE in suede as a backup if I can't find anythikng else. Does anyone have any experience fabricating brackets?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I totally understand what you mean about sitting in the seats first. I often travel for work and have driven various cars with various seat designs. Some good, some not.

I have not sat in the 6LE seats, but others have and like it. Hopefully you have some decent well stocked junkyards near you. Near me is 80's and 90's econoboxes.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

anymore on the dodge seats? are they any good? what about like newer grand prix (leather)?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbeauty2012
anymore on the dodge seats? are they any good? what about like newer grand prix (leather)?
The '04+ Grand Prix seats are very nice, but unfortunately since they were all 4-doors, you'll have to modify the seat track to make the seats slide forward if you plan on having access to the rear seats. I'm assuming it would be the same case for the SRT-4 seats that were mentioned.

Don't bother with the '97-'03 GP seats. I owned one, and they aren't any better than the seats in my Camaro. The '04 GP seats are much more comfortable, and they aren't too expensive
Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the GP seats have good shoulder and side bolstering? That is my main concern. My TA seats are comfortable, but don't hold me in during cornering. I want to be held in tight.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

what about cobalt SS seats? or even Pontiac G6 GXP seats? i remember liking those, and youd be sticking with GM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-09...Q5fAccessories

EDIT: after looking at those more, I think i want those now.

the GTO seats look way too big in the car.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

i dont think i could find more supportive seats for cornering than my factory TA seats. I know u dont have them but mine squeeze in on me tight as hell and im pretty fn skinny.

but as far as comfort they suck... they probably wouldn't be so bad with softer leather and a little more cushion.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im confused....
1- you say you want new seats cause its ripped,,,, but you said you dont care what material seats you put in cause you will recover them anyhow... why not recover your current seats?
2- if your looking for good side and shoulder support then your really only get held in tight with raceing seats,,, i cant see any factory seat working as much as you want it to, but as long as you understand this. I believe youll find seats a bit more supportive or sporty but not by much.

My opinion is get some import seats... there best... sence american cars usually arnt made to corner, the seats usually lack good side support. What about looking into a what factory seats did Recaro make,,, sometimes they would be relabeled with a different name just like any product. I know that they put them in mustangs, older trans am's,,,,1980's was a big yr for these guys,, Im thinking they even were in dodge daytona/iroc/shelby cars, correct me if im wrong. As for newer cars with good seats,,, my favorite side support seats would be from newer dodges like magnum or 300. If you want to stick in the seats stay away from leather as they make you slide too much,, even tho I like leather the best, just not ideal for cornering.

As for what seats that fit... i know 82-92 camaro/firebird bolt right in as long as you use your current tracks, and i think that fiero seats fit in too without mods, heck then you get speakers in the seats, cool,,, but they dont sound the best.

As for my favorite seats ive owned, were in a lowered s10 i owned... but they were orig. from a Mitsubishi, im guessing a 90's eclipse (I attached a pic). Come to think of it the 09 eclipse i drove had really nice seats in it also.
If I were you id go to a u-pick-it junk yard with alot of cars so you can walk around and look at each car and sit if you need to.... some cars will have some good examples and you can get a feel for what you want.
I dont think many non-gm seats are ganna bolt right in but i bet gm doesnt have as much to offer as other import brands. just my 2 cents
Attached Thumbnails What other factory seats fit in my TA?-chris-s-truck2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will put one up tonight of my seats. Not only will you see the huge rip in the driver's seat, but also the lack of side, thigh and shoulder support. Maybe all of you guys have a different set of seats than me because mine suck. I slide around all over the place when cornering.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

I'm in the same boat.......from a looks stand point.....the GTO seats are awesome. Anybody got any pictures of GTO seats in a Camaro?

Also....what about vette seats? Could they be placed on the fbody tracks?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WipFbody
Anybody got any pictures of GTO seats in a Camaro?

More Here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2281318/2

Not my car.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those GTO seats do look nice, but they really are huge! Does anyone know if they fit on F-body seat rails? Just curious...
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick D
Those GTO seats do look nice, but they really are huge! Does anyone know if they fit on F-body seat rails? Just curious...
Yep. They are really comfortable seats, but they are far too big for an Fbody. They just looks out of place.

Here's the thread with the SRT4 seats. They look pretty good I think.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...te-w-pics.html
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any other factory seats that work well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What other factory seats fit in my TA?