Sponsored by: DashLynx

door panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panel

hello,
how did you go about removing the different parts of the door panel, such as the arm rest and the center panel??
thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its a firebird/trans am.... you got to remove power window switch bezel, unplug pwr wdo, door lock, pwr mirror switches. Put switches and bezel aside. Remove black triangle mirror cover. Remove bezel behind door handle and bulb socket on the inner part of it. Theres a (+)bolt right under the arm rest, and another(+) on the pouch to the left of the speaker. Then pull the whole panel up a little, it is held by tabs, once you loose them, it pulls back facing your way.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're talking about disassembling the actual door panel, that would be difficult, but not impossible. The panel is assembled by melting the tabs that holds each section together. I had my inserts redone recently and it looks like it was a PITA to just get that part off, to get the whole door panel in pieces would be challenging!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This may help:
http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Instal.../DoorPanel.htm

Its not that hard. Just wear some thick leather mechanic or workman gloves so you don't cut yourself. I've wrapped my center sections in silver cloth.

I pretty much followed that writeup except that instead of re-melting the posts, I used a blob of LockTite Plastic Epoxy on each post and kept some pressure/weight on the panel to hold it together untill the epoxy hardened. I didn't use contact cement for the whole thing either, only the edges that get folded over so that I didn't get any glue bleeding through the cloth. I used some "carpet tape" also around the edge that doesnt get folded over to help hold things in place.

Click images for larger.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this inform...I will work on those door panels of my Z28 to change the color panels.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
If you're talking about disassembling the actual door panel, that would be difficult, but not impossible. The panel is assembled by melting the tabs that holds each section together. I had my inserts redone recently and it looks like it was a PITA to just get that part off, to get the whole door panel in pieces would be challenging!
As stated above the door panel is held together with heat welded tabs. You just need to cut the tabs, swap the pannel, then reglue the tabs. I swapped the lower carpet on a set of leather door panels to light gray.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

thanks alot guys this really helps!!

Quick Reply: door panel