Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauge bulb removal question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge bulb removal question!

alright well i just got to put my 6LE overlay in the car last night and i went to replace my old bulbs with LED's, but i ran into an issue that i just wanted to check up with first before i go breaking everything...
i pulled my cluster out last night and twisted a couple of the bulb sockets out and tried to easily work the bulbs out of the sockets, but they wouldn't budge... they basically got to a certain catching point and stopped coming out... and the base of the socket says something about replacing whole unit instead of just the bulb, so i didn't know if there was some sort of trick to getting these out, or if i just need to quit going easy on them and just yank them out... but let me know if there is some sort of trick with these or whatnot, because i tugged on one for a while and it just kept feeling like it was going to break the whole socket
i tried searching for anything remotely close but every post was just pictures of what i want, lol which is led gauges
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty sure the bulbs are soldered into the bases... When I did my truck I'm pretty sure this is what I used.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

For what It's worth... the LED's in my truck are the "superbright" ones everyone gets and although the led lasts forever the tiny balast in the bulb burns out faster than a regular bulb, Mine are less than 2 yrs old and dying. I won't put them in my car because it is too much of a pain to take the cluster out!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be different on the LT1s then. On my 98 the sockets just twisted out, and the bulbs are standard 194 bulbs that pop right out.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I think they are different. When I did my cluster bezel out of an LS1, I think I swapped the bases because the bulbs just pop out of them and the LT1's were soldered in.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome... glad to find this out because i went to work today (auto zone) and asked a couple of the guys that i work with and they said we sell the sockets that just take a standard replacement bulb... so i went ahead and bought the 4 we had and ordered a few extras... so hopefully these will work...
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...egoryCode=4075
and for future reference if anyone searches and needs to find these the dorman part number is 85835 if these are the correct ones... i'll let ya know this weekend when i throw them in
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Launching!

I looked at mine and I remember pushing the metal tabs in to pull them out. But I'll probably just buy some of the LS1 ones or something like that

Quick Reply: Gauge bulb removal question!