Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about VFN hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about VFN hood

So about 3 weeks ago the girls ex came and FUCKED my car. hit the side with his 2500, which pushed it into the back of my buddys crawler jeep which fucked my front bumper... so needless to say im getting some work done.

My old man said he would get me a new hood for xmas since i already had to have it painted cuz i have to have the hood painted anyway to be blended... So i want to go with a big VFN but i cant decide really which one or mounting option.

Its between a 4" cowl and a 3" SS hood. I kinda wanna go pin on to save the extra 100 and i like the look anywa, but where do i get pins for it from and how hard is it to put on a pin on hood and get it STRAIGHT? it will **** me off hardcore if its not on straight
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do it unless you have a place to set your hood every time you need to work under it or change the oil.

Pin on is ONLY PIN ON. You can NOT use the factory hinges with that hood, not made to support it or the mounting of them.

On a side note, I vote 4" cowl...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a LS car, but my vote would be for 3" SS hood:

Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
liqour enthusiest

cowl hood ftw
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Don't do it unless you have a place to set your hood every time you need to work under it or change the oil.

Pin on is ONLY PIN ON. You can NOT use the factory hinges with that hood, not made to support it or the mounting of them.

On a side note, I vote 4" cowl...

thats fine, its the only car in a 2 car garage lol

im still kind of leaning toward the SS hood, i mean it is an SS after all and the big hoods look SOOOOOO mean
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Please say you got revenge......
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Launching!

i say a 3'' cowl, or the 3'' SS hood, 4'' is just a LITTLE too much for my taste. And i say you take a bat to his windows and his knees. Screw that guy.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
thats fine, its the only car in a 2 car garage lol

im still kind of leaning toward the SS hood, i mean it is an SS after all and the big hoods look SOOOOOO mean
I agree and thought that as well at first but then I remembered seeing an SS with a cowl and thinking, "Damn, that is pretty bad *** because that is pretty damn rare..." not many SS owners would put a different than SS style hood on.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EATSGTS
Please say you got revenge......
Originally Posted by 00RedMaro
i say a 3'' cowl, or the 3'' SS hood, 4'' is just a LITTLE too much for my taste. And i say you take a bat to his windows and his knees. Screw that guy.
Its been taken care of lol. U dont come to my house and **** with my car after staking my house out and waiting for me to leave and get away with it. He is just a total moron obviously lol

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I agree and thought that as well at first but then I remembered seeing an SS with a cowl and thinking, "Damn, that is pretty bad *** because that is pretty damn rare..." not many SS owners would put a different than SS style hood on.
I see all the people with the sunoco or cowl and just kinda wanna be different. The only 3" SS hood ive seen in person was on Tosto's hugger orange drag car and i thought they look pretty mean on the ls1 4th gens. i still have a few weeks to decide/sell my old hood lol

really though as far as pins/pin on hoods, is there like a place everyone goes with as far as stud mountings or do they use dzus rails or does VFN send instrutions lol im lost
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Its been taken care of lol. U dont come to my house and **** with my car after staking my house out and waiting for me to leave and get away with it. He is just a total moron obviously lol
details? lol

And I would say go for the cowl, but since its an SS I'd got for the 3" SS hood. Can't really go wrong either direction, both look good. Are you just wanting the looks of a pin on hood? Because you could always add the pins to a bolt on hood if you really wanted too. It might sound like a good idea now, but I just think it would be a pain to take the hood off everytime you need to look under the hood, unless it's a racecar and you are trying to save every little bit of weight you can. I'd bet you could find the pins in summit or jegs magazine or someplace like that.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by green28
details? lol

And I would say go for the cowl, but since its an SS I'd got for the 3" SS hood. Can't really go wrong either direction, both look good. Are you just wanting the looks of a pin on hood? Because you could always add the pins to a bolt on hood if you really wanted too. It might sound like a good idea now, but I just think it would be a pain to take the hood off everytime you need to look under the hood, unless it's a racecar and you are trying to save every little bit of weight you can. I'd bet you could find the pins in summit or jegs magazine or someplace like that.
Im not so much just going for the look of a pin on, i do like the way they look and do not mind taking the hood off. the car sees 100 miles a month IF THAT. It sits in my garage next to all my snakes and my corvette and looks pretty and quiet till someone runs their mouth about it. It is on slicks and skinnies and is a forget cam only 11.7X car. As much as i like to think its a race car i know it isnt, but i can still dream lol