Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Messing around, recent SS shot...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Messing around, recent SS shot...

The car was filthy, and it was a dreary day, but I didn't have any recent shots of it since lowering it more, so I decided to try a new style of shooting and editing in an attempt to compliment and bring out that grittiness in a few shots (because taking good pictures of a dirty car comes out horrible). I took a few more pictures and I'll work on them as I have the time and if I decide I like this style or not. I'm on the fence with it but I honestly think I just need better equipment to pull of the look I was going for in regards to the actual photography. What's new with the car though is that the amber turn signals are back in, it's lower than it was, 26" F ride height, 26.5" R ride height, and it's filthy because...well, because it just is. It's a driver, not a show car. Plus it's winter and going outside in the cold to clean it up isn't high on my priority list.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, what springs are you running?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Beautiful car! Everything about it is pretty much perfect.

PS, your Tide made my Gators look like a bunch of chumps
Old 12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that really makes me want a black car.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks awesome!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm running cut stock springs that come out to 325 lbs front springs and 145 lbs rear springs with a setup built around them (Bilstein HD shocks, modified upper shock mounts, upgraded bumpstops all around). Still have close to stock length suspension travel and a much lower car without picking up all the harshness of the other lowered F-Bodies I've had.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

am in love...isnt it annoying while driving when cutting stock springs??
Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Nice car i really want thoes wheels.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Thanks guys.

I'm running cut stock springs that come out to 325 lbs front springs and 145 lbs rear springs with a setup built around them (Bilstein HD shocks, modified upper shock mounts, upgraded bumpstops all around). Still have close to stock length suspension travel and a much lower car without picking up all the harshness of the other lowered F-Bodies I've had.
your car looks really good.

how do you come up with the spring rates?
what is the special valving in your shocks? where did you get them revalved?

the look is awesome!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Bilstein HDs are valved for stock springs. My rates went up slightly, but are still reasonably close to stock. The Bilstein HDs are probably the closest match to these springs.

On the rates I can't be 100% for sure, but JasonWW on these boards has done a lot of extensive work like this, and has the calculations posted up somewhere (stock rates + number of coils cut off and there is a way to calculate the rates based off of that). I rode around for a while on QA1s with the 275 lbs springs and QA1 shocks. The cut stock springs and Bilsteins definitely ride and handle better by a mile, but aren't much more harsh or stiff (I had to keep the QA1 shocks cranked all the way up just to keep the car for bottoming out everywhere because the springs were so soft).

am in love...isnt it annoying while driving when cutting stock springs??
Why would it be? Springs are springs. I didn't torch them and change the spring's metal properties. Just a quick, clean cut with a die grinder to keep heat out of the springs. They're just springs, not rocket science. If the rate is there it shouldn't be a problem. I've got more rate than a lot of the QA1 setups that are on a ton of cars on these boards and people daily drive those all the time. The reason I cut the stock springs instead of going with lowering springs is because I wanted a lower stance, which lowering springs could have accomplished, but I didn't want really stiff spring rates and a harsh ride since this is my daily driver. I know I'm leaving some handling on the table over lowering springs with more rate, but since it's a daily driver what I gain in ride quality is a worth-while trade off to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^is there a write-up on how to cut the springs or did you just go at it. it shouldn't be to hard at all, just curious. i did the heater-hose mod a few days ago and that made it much better in the rear, but i'm looking for lower all the way around. got any pointers for me?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

wow i thoght its the opposite! i thot lowering springs would b better for a daily driver! so they r stiffer then...goin to lower after i get my wheels
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Love it...the photography is great, rough background really does work for the shot.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
^is there a write-up on how to cut the springs or did you just go at it. it shouldn't be to hard at all, just curious. i did the heater-hose mod a few days ago and that made it much better in the rear, but i'm looking for lower all the way around. got any pointers for me?
Originally Posted by omarrakeen
wow i thoght its the opposite! i thot lowering springs would b better for a daily driver! so they r stiffer then...goin to lower after i get my wheels
I have a post in the suspension section. I just took the springs out all around and cut them with a die grinder. Cut quick, and take breaks in the cut to keep from heating the coil up. Heat = bad. Heat can change the properties of the metal, you can have coils collapse over time, bouncy ride, etc. A quick, clean, low heat cut with a die grinder or something similar and you're golden.

Some people like a really stiff ride. A lot of people daily drive with 500-600 lbs springs up front. That's way too much rate for me to be comfortable on a daily driver. I like it to be a bit softer, closer to stock. I lose out on handling, but I gain in ride comfort, and it's also better for weight transfer for when I go drag racing. It still handles better than stock though, especially with upgraded shocks. My car is just at home on the street as it is at the drag strip or autocrossing. A master or none so to speak, but definitely a jack of all trades. I like a well-rounded car.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

I agree too its my daily drive i would take comfort over performance...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 PM

I went to a few lengths to make sure it was dampened properly and that I had maximum suspension travel if you'll look in the suspension and handling section, but otherwise I still spent a lot less than going other routes, and got better results than just slapping some Sportlines on the car. If it's an avenue you think you'll pursue just do your homework and do everything right the first time and I'd bet you'll be happy with the results.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are those the HP wheels? what size are they? i love the look.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

great looking car man.

and damn, you call that filthy? dear god, my car is a dd i'd venture to say thats clean for me lol.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

That is one mean looking SS.
Very sick car
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks guys, it is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ssjason232
Are those the HP wheels? what size are they? i love the look.
They're RPM 505s, which look a lot like the HP Evo wheels, but don't have the fake rivets (a big plus in my book, if you don't like rivets the RPMs are the ticket, if you do then the HPs are the ticket).

Quick Reply: Messing around, recent SS shot...