Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Repairing a bent/cracked headliner?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing a bent/cracked headliner?

I took the headliner out of my TA just before I parked it for the season, thinking I would re-cover it over winter. Unfortunately, my highly un-automotive roomate didnt know what it was, and she folded it in half to store it!!!

Of course, its all cracked and torn now. Is there any way it can still be used? Is there any kind of strenghtener I can put on it to give it some rigidity again? Before you say "just buy a new one"... Im 24, broke, and live on a damned island and have no access to good wrecking yards where I could pick up a used one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone have a write up on how to remove blood stains from my trunk for when I'm done with my roomate?

Amanda
Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is basically cardboard, I'd just try to brace the inside of it with more. That's a bummer.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

amanda, i am currently doing the same thing (sorta) i'll put my posts in here on how i go about doing it, i was planning on wrapping it in "naugahide" i think that's spelled right, however it wasn't rigid enough (the headliner) soooo tomorrow i am thinking of goin out and experimenting with some fiberglass and resin to see what i can make come out of it, however i have managed to remove the fabric and it's just that crappy shell, i'm thinking i might just spread resin on it and go from there. but we will see, anyway i'll let ya know.

oh, what "island" are you on btw???

Last edited by 98LSI; 12-25-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: cuz i wanted to
Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing as well, however I have NO experience with fibreglassing.

I'm on Vancouver Island, its just off the coast of British Columbia, Canada. Its not exactly tiny, but its still an isolated rock with **** poor access to anything.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

wellll, i haven't fiberglassed either lol, but i plan on doin some reading. i'm thinking of running some down the sides (the length of the thing) then one down the middle from front to back, then filling in all the other spots, probably about 2 layers or so just to stiffen it, plus it will give it a good non porous surface to put whatever adhesive i plan on using to apply the vinyl. i'll put pix of what i have so far.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

ok, this stuff i found, made by DAP it's called WELDWOOD, it's a contact cement, comes in a red and black can, and it is holding pretty dammned good for the vinyl, (i'm doing my armrest) either way, it's something you might want to look into getting to redo your headliner, i haven't done the glass yet however.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I've got some decent 3M headliner glue (cant remember the actual name of it atm), so I'm good on that. More curious as to how your glassing works out! Definately put some pix up later!

Amanda
Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

ok, well i'm sorry but you might have to wait a few days, i don't plan on starting till thursday i think. but i am suscribed to this and i'm keeping track of it, just so you know to date i have spent about 30ish dollars on materials, that's 24 sqft of fiberglass mat, and one thing of resin. that should cover one solid layer and if i think it needs to be more rigid i'll add a second, and maybe a third, but it isn't load bearing, just a headliner. also go to walmart for the mat (unless you buy in bulk) for a 8sqft pack it was like 3 or 4 bucks. anyway i'll take pix as i go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repairing a bent/cracked headliner?