Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am overlay/emblem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am overlay/emblem

I have a 98 white TA with the standard white Trans Am emblem on the doors. I want to change the scheme to white/black by adding black letters fills into the rear Pontiac and on the Trans Am door emblems. I have seen the composite overlays from emblempros.com and they look good, but does anyone have a closeup of these on a car? My concern is that the black overlay covers the emblem, but not completely, and some white shows around the edges. Some of the white is wearing off of my emblems on the edges with black showing through so I want that covered. Are there any others options? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

take the stock ones off. the emblempros ones are meant for replacing but also can be used as an overlay. As to the sizing, if u did want to put them over (i dont know why you would, they are gonna look like crap sticking out so far on the side of your car not to mention catching wax when you wax) they are the EXACT same size as stock but 10x the quality. I have spent to much money at emblem pros,lol I have never been let down once!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
take the stock ones off. the emblempros ones are meant for replacing but also can be used as an overlay. As to the sizing, if u did want to put them over (i dont know why you would, they are gonna look like crap sticking out so far on the side of your car not to mention catching wax when you wax) they are the EXACT same size as stock but 10x the quality. I have spent to much money at emblem pros,lol I have never been let down once!
http://www.emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/1687

Says specifically not intended to replace factory emblems. Is this what you are referring to?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Our pieces are exactly the same shape and size as the factory pieces are.
These can be use as overlays if you want, or as replacements. They will work either way.
We spent a lot of time on these. They are not just close to factory dimensions, they are exact.

Thanks, Roger
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
umm, if they are not meant to go on top of them, whey are they called "overlays"??? lets break it apart, over lay, made to lay over the existing ones.
i'll just assume you've never seen a car with them as overlays. becasue what you're saying is realy not true, they do not stick out very far at all. how do i know, i've had them. you have a camaro, which has no emblems that you would cover, camaros only have inserts, so thats probably why you have no experience with this.

back to you SilverV6Camaro, like Matt said, they fit PERFERCTLY over the sock pieces, so you wont have to worry about them not covering.

heres some closeups on my Trans Am. -unfortunately, i have no closeups of the door emblems on the car, which i removed completely for a cleaner look a while back.

i do still have all of the letters though, so heres some close-ups of them

heres a before/after look since i removed all the decals i had on the side (LS1tech on rear window, bird on pillar) and the door emblems. all i left was the LOTB badge.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=crimson_bird;12714211]umm, if they are not meant to go on top of them, whey are they called "overlays"??? lets break it apart, over lay, made to lay over the existing ones.
i'll just assume you've never seen a car with them as overlays. becasue what you're saying is realy not true, they do not stick out very far at all. how do i know, i've had them. you have a camaro, which has no emblems that you would cover, camaros only have inserts, so thats probably why you have no experience with this.

back to you SilverV6Camaro, like Matt said, they fit PERFERCTLY over the sock pieces, so you wont have to worry about them not covering.

i completly know what u mean buddy, but i think we are using different terminology. i understand overlay means over the existing one. my friend has a trans am and tried one of the stainless "overlays" on top of the door emblems. we both thought they stuck out too far and looked odd to us and a few others. it did catch wax because it had multiple places to catch it due to putting them on top of the existing ones. i was giving my two cents as to how it looked but just used the term "overlay" when i should have just used "emblem".

sorry for the confusion. to each his own i guess.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
umm, if they are not meant to go on top of them, whey are they called "overlays"??? lets break it apart, over lay, made to lay over the existing ones.

heres some closeups on my Trans Am. -unfortunately, i have no closeups of the door emblems on the car, which i removed completely for a cleaner look a while back.

i do still have all of the letters though, so heres some close-ups of them

heres a before/after look since i removed all the decals i had on the side (LS1tech on rear window, bird on pillar) and the door emblems. all i left was the LOTB badge.
Those pics are EXACTLY what I was looking for! The Pontiac fill in looks great!

I do agree with Camaro Ryder though that on the Trans Am emblem, they do seem to stick out pretty far. Those overlays are kinda thick...the emblem almost doubles in thickness.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Can't you just pull the stock ones off, and ONLY use the ones from emblempros? That's what I'm planning to do. My car came without the TRANS AM emblem on the side, the last owner had removed it. I want a set, and cant find any at a wrecker out here, so I'm just going to get the ones from emblempros and install that.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
Can't you just pull the stock ones off, and ONLY use the ones from emblempros? That's what I'm planning to do. My car came without the TRANS AM emblem on the side, the last owner had removed it. I want a set, and cant find any at a wrecker out here, so I'm just going to get the ones from emblempros and install that.
That's probably what I'll do, but then I'd go with real emblems, not just emblempros overlays. I'd get these genuine emblems...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2765
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used them as overlays and was not too impressed. They look much better as replacements.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i too think they would look A LOT better as replacements, as opposed to overlays. they only reason i didnt try that was because they all come as individual pieces. and i've seen a couple people try to do it, and have them come out looking pretty uneven.

how exactly do you guys plan to install them to have each letter perfectly level and spaced evenly? that was the only thing that held me back from doing that.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use some blue masking tape and set it across the top, bottom, left and right of the factory emblems. Basically making a frame of where the stock badges go. You could even go as far as masking around the straightedges of each individual letter to make a nice template. Then pull the factory stuff and apply the emblempros stuff right where the factory stuff was.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i too think they would look A LOT better as replacements, as opposed to overlays. they only reason i didnt try that was because they all come as individual pieces. and i've seen a couple people try to do it, and have them come out looking pretty uneven.

how exactly do you guys plan to install them to have each letter perfectly level and spaced evenly? that was the only thing that held me back from doing that.
Actually, when I took mine off there was an outline of hard water where they were. I was gonna clean it up, but it ended up letting me get them all in the perfect position.

Quick Reply: Trans Am overlay/emblem