Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vinyl Overlay problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Vinyl Overlay problem?

Hey guys. I ordered some Vinyl overlays from Brent Franker for my bird. Not sure if I'm doing this right. The vinyl he gave me looks different than the one in his pictures.

I put the bird on my license plate cover. I took the vinyl off of the contact paper and cut around the edges to place it:

I thought it was supposed to just stay like that, but now I'm not so sure. When the vinyl dries, should I be able to peel off that extra clear cover stuff shown in the pic? It doesn't make it look very good up close :\ Anyone know? here are more pics:

Thanks guys! I don't wanna apply the others without knowing. The wings would be a bitch to cut around if so and if I wasn't supposed to do that, then that will just suck. I wanna know if the front is supposed to peal off after drying. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put some more Brent Franker vinyl oN my car today, the only things that should come off are the piece against the adhesive, and the front cloth-like piece. Anything coming off other than those isn't something that should be happening. Get ahold of Brent, I know he will be anxious to correct whatever the issue may be regarding your problem. I'm very pleased with the products/service I've received from him.

Last edited by MjMaro; 01-07-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the vinyl reflective or regular? Did you use the water method or dry method to put em on?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm, now Im a wee bit worried. Here's what the wing looks like:

you see that clear stuff that peels off the paper? Is that supposed to stay on over the black parts and Im just suppossed to trim it away around the edges or will that peel off and just leave the black parts after its dried? If you look in the background, it doesnt look that good close up because of the edges. Is that normal?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

It's regular. I sprayed the over with water with a drop of soap in it and the back of the vinyl and lined it up
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming it wasn't cut properly or something to that extent.... just contact him and I'm sure you'll either get a new one or give you some pointers. it should not have that clear adhesive parts around the vinyl
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

It originally came with a lot more clear stuff. I cut around it cuz i thought that was what I was supposed to do. Then I put it on and I was like "oh. That doesnt look very good up close"
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
I'm assuming it wasn't cut properly or something to that extent.... just contact him and I'm sure you'll either get a new one or give you some pointers. it should not have that clear adhesive parts around the vinyl
+1 may have just been something in the way it came out of the machine? Brent will take care of you I'm sure, you shouldn't need to do any sort of trimming to get things looking right.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're all noobs. That clear stuff come's off.
What you've got is Clear adhesive paper, black vinyl, white contact paper.
You remove the adhesive (clear) and vinyl and then apply vinyl then remove the clear.
It's there so that you can apply the decals easier. More surface area for you to hold/grip/maneuver.
Snipez- place the decal in place, and rub the black part out. REALLY well. Like with a credit card or something. Then slowly peel away the clear part.
Easy.
Brent does GREAT work.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Front:

Back:

That's how all mine have come, I just take off the back, apply them, then peal off the front.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
You're all noobs. That clear stuff come's off.
What you've got is Clear adhesive paper, black vinyl, white contact paper.
You remove the adhesive (clear) and vinyl and then apply vinyl then remove the clear.
It's there so that you can apply the decals easier. More surface area for you to hold/grip/maneuver.
Snipez- place the decal in place, and rub the black part out. REALLY well. Like with a credit card or something. Then slowly peel away the clear part.
Easy.
Brent does GREAT work.
THANK YOU. i was waiting for someone to get it. i thoght i was gonna have to type it up.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Super-bat Glad I msged you this link on AIM BTw Crimson, your TA is f'ing SICK

Almost done drying now.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

There ya go, all is right with the world again lol
Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"Application Tape", & I see both the clear stuff in the OP application & the paper tape in the Z28 application above.
And it doesn't need to 'dry'. The water is used to help 'move' the decal into place where you want it, then squeegee out the excess by pressing the vinyl in place, & it should be done.
Wipe dry.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
"Application Tape", & I see both the clear stuff in the OP application & the paper tape in the Z28 application above.
And it doesn't need to 'dry'. The water is used to help 'move' the decal into place where you want it, then squeegee out the excess by pressing the vinyl in place, & it should be done.
Wipe dry.
I tried explaining that to Snipez. It's a sticker, not glue. There's no "drying" needed. I think for the size of the decal he used WAY too much water.
Just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Overlay problem?