Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting or dieing interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting or dieing interior

i would like to die or paint the plastic from grey to black in my trans am. have any of you guys attempt to do this??
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/intpaint.html

i just did the interior panels of a 78 Z28 im working on, and i followed these directions. but, i didnt use the same exact products. i can post up some pics in a little bit. it came out great.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive thought about dyeing the dash myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable spay bombing it. I think I may look for some products and give it a try.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/intpaint.html

i just did the interior panels of a 78 Z28 im working on, and i followed these directions. but, i didnt use the same exact products. i can post up some pics in a little bit. it came out great.

how much did it cost?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Launching!

i dyed (or painted) my dash last summer with some vinyl interior paint, forgot the name of it though. I was going to use SEM's version but the place i picked it up at was out. Anyway, it turned out PERFECT. Just make sure you get a satin black and not glossy because it will look tacky glossy.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any fear of fading, rubbing off, or cracking of the paint/dye on the plastic panels?

What can be used on the arm rest on the TA door panel? I just put in ebony panels and the arm rest has a little fading/worn spot. Anything that can restore this?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know some have used Krylon Fusion but most that have done it on here have used Sem Products and highly recommend it?
+1 on using a matte finish!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

well, unfortunately for me, i somehow deleted several hundred pictures earlier today. lots of pictures i can't just retake, so im a bit upset about that. one of the folders lost had the pictures of the interior trim/panels i redid at all stages of the process. i would retake some, but they are all wrapped up in the garage. making sure they're still in perfect condition when they go back in the car, which will happen once i finish with the floor, seats, door panels, and dash.

As far as price goes it wasnt bad at all, especially compared to buying new reproduction panels for the 2nd gen. at a few dollars per can, i probbaly used 2-3 cans of primer (i forgot which brand exactly), 3-4 cans of satin black paint made by Krylon, and a couple cans of satin clear coat, also made by Krylon. but, after one coat of the clear i didnt like the finish it gave so i actually went back over it again with the black. they came out perfect.

as far as durability, i've used this same Krylon paint on plenty of other projects, and it holds up great. and in reality, the interior trim is just plastic, its nothing special requiring any special paint. and i really dont know what anyone would be doing in their car to mess up the panels. not to mention that the '78 im working with will pretty much be a garage queen/ show car/ weekend car, so it wont be dealing with any nonsense that may mess it up.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Any fear of fading, rubbing off, or cracking of the paint/dye on the plastic panels?

What can be used on the arm rest on the TA door panel? I just put in ebony panels and the arm rest has a little fading/worn spot. Anything that can restore this?
was thinking the same thing being in direct sunlight...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by f-bodyguy
was thinking the same thing being in direct sunlight...
i'm a huge tint fan, so no car i ever own will be subject to direct sunlight. so thats no issue for me
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat

I think the only thing that can restore it would be the vinyl dye. Have you tried just cleaning it with a cleaning agent like Surf City Garage "Dash Away" or even just water?

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, a silicone lubricant spray like 3D Products Instant Spray or a rubber/vinyl reconditioner may work too, but it'll be slippery even if you buff it off.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-20-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Quick Reply: painting or dieing interior