Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in projector headlight setup for 98-02 Birds
Yes
96.75%
No
3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Interest thread - 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight Retrofit COMPLETE **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Interest thread - 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight Retrofit COMPLETE **PICS**

UPDATE - FINAL PICS - POST #125

Many of you may have seen what I've done with my LT1 Bird Bi-Xenon projector retrofit found in the appearance hall of fame :

93-97 Firebird Bi-Xenon FX Projector Retro-fit

I am looking to release a setup for the 98-02 Firebirds which will offer the following:

- Easy to install (no cutting of anything (wiring/buckets) making it easy to return back to stock..if you wanted to. ) Complete Plug-n-Play

- Aesthetically attractive

- Low-Beam will use a projector with HID (color would be an option)

- High-Beam will also use a projector but with a halogen lamp (HIDs could be used but not typical for this application i.e. HIDs don't like to be flashed)

- Sealed from the elements to avoid damage/dust, etc.

The quality of the finished product will easily exceed what I've done with my own car since this would be a product sold to those interested. I could look to offer just the low beam as the standard kit and the high beam setup could be optional.

Obviously, the price tag would certainly be higher than the HID kits for sealed beam or conversion housings, but this kit will easily exceed the performance of those setups offering the cutoff and light output only a projector can offer. I believe it will be more attractive as well.

Please post in the poll and if there is enough interest, I will go ahead with the fabrication and make this happen. I am not a sponsor on LS1Tech so please forgo PMing me since I want to work within the guidelines of the forum and become a sponsor before I sell or post anything further.

Thanks for reading and hopefully there will enough interest to get me moving.

-Brian

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 02-19-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: completed pictures
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will you sell just the housings/projectors? For those with HIDs already in stock housings that have ballasts and everything...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This would be great! It would be much easier than trying to mix and match different parts. Count me in.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Will you sell just the housings/projectors? For those with HIDs already in stock housings that have ballasts and everything...
x2. I'm tired of not getting the full use of my HIDs because I have to aim them so low as to not blind on coming traffic. I'd definitely pick up some housings and projectors!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
j0n
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
I would imagine that the HIDs in the stock housings will not be compatible with any projector setup.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Estimated cost?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian-
I'm in Piscataway as well. Let me know if you would like to use the car for anything.

Sounds like a good project.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skorpion317
This would be great! It would be much easier than trying to mix and match different parts. Count me in.
Depending on the existing HID kit being used, it may work with the projectors I will be using. The HID kit I'm thinking of using has a well proven track record so without knowing which kit you have, I wouldn't know how the quality compares either.

Originally Posted by Joshu
Estimated cost?
I'm still working this out as I have a good idea of the components I would use and working actively with various vendors to obtain better pricing. I do not want to make these kits overly expensive but do want it to be done right. Expect comparable pricing to those who have built these themselves with a premium for the extra work involved to make this a seamless install. Most of the retrofits done by individuals for these cars have required cutting and only include the low beam. I would prefer to show a finished product before I release pricing so there are no surprises.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by j0n
I would imagine that the HIDs in the stock housings will not be compatible with any projector setup.
but his kit will still require ballasts, which a stock/HID setup will have
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a great idea! I would prefer to just use a standard type bulb with a projector lens tho if it would work. Like an H7 or something like that. Would that be possible?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Depending on the existing HID kit being used, it may work with the projectors I will be using. The HID kit I'm thinking of using has a well proven track record so without knowing which kit you have, I wouldn't know how the quality compares either.
I actually don't have an HID kit, and I'm interested in a plug and play setup.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting, price would def. be the main point.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
interesting, price would def. be the main point.
im with him. but this sounds like an awesome idea if its plug and play
Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
This is a great idea! I would prefer to just use a standard type bulb with a projector lens tho if it would work. Like an H7 or something like that. Would that be possible?
Yes this may be possible depending upon the projector I ultimately decide to use. HID projectors typically use a D2S HID lamps however they do sell H7 adapters which will allow a H7 kit to work.

Projector choice will be limited due to the relatively small space provided by the existing low beam area. I have a few projector sets coming to determine which offers the best fit, price, and performance.

Price will certainly be the big factor here and I'm aware of that. Pricing is expected to be well below the fixed headlight conversions available but certainly above your run of the mill HID kit to put into stock or conversion housings.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

as long as it is cheaper than the breathless kit and doesnt have one round light and one square (which you said both will be projectors) i think you have a winner
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Definitely interested, I have 90mm Hella Projectors with H7 bulbs in my fog lights. That set up it is so bright I can't tell my main lights are not on! I now drive almost exclusively with just my fogs/driving lights and my headlights doors down (no cop problems so far). I put the halogen conversion in from eurolamps. They SUCK. Yes my low beam is now brighter(still not enough to over power the Hella's. BUT the high beam lenses they provide are actually low beam lenses so the spread the light. I called them thats all they ever provide. I pointed they have different stock numbers it basically a scam. I receive NO extra illumination from them! In fact they make my Fogs go off so it gets worse. I know I could relay my fogs if I wanted.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
as long as it is cheaper than the breathless kit and doesnt have one round light and one square (which you said both will be projectors) i think you have a winner
Totally agree!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am interested in just a projector setup for the low beams as I don't need high beams that bad. I have a set of the euro-lamp conversions with an HID upgrade in them but the cutoff and light dispersion sucks still, especially compaired to my saab's with projector lights.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed you're in Jersey, and I'm in PA but work in Jersey near Trenton. Even if you don't go into production, I'd pay for you to do a one off set for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im down!

Quick Reply: Interest thread - 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight Retrofit COMPLETE **PICS**