Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowered and offset seat bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowered and offset seat bracket

Hey all, mostly tall people. I am 6'2-3 and ever since I got my car Ive been a little uncomfortable driving it. If I sit up straight in the car half my view would be sun visor. I then changed my stock seats to 6LE seats, hoping they would sit lower, but they didnt. So I then deleted the slider and made the seat fixed position. After that driving was much much better and more comfortable, but then I caged the car and wanted seats that would really keep me in place. The 6LE were really nice, they just werent bolstered enough for my liking. Plus having a seat that wasnt fixed position would have been nice. So i then ordered a pair of Corbeau Forzas, which to my surprise basically made me sit with my chest in the steering wheel and my head was touching the ttop. Having just received the seats and not wanting to deal with selling them or shipping them back to Utah, I decided to make a custom bracket. Using the Corbeau seat bracket as a guide (made my life so much easier), this is what I came up with.

Using the bracket and putting the seat in and out of my car numerous times, I decided that a flat bracket offset 3" to the rear would be good. However the stupid layout of the fbody floor made things a little difficult. which is why the bracket is shaped the way it is.

the start of the template

Finished template and test fitting

All labeled, time for metal

Measured, cut and numbered using the template.

forgot to take a pic of the metal after it was all prepped, but here is the final product prior to drilling for the mounts.

New to TIG but what the hell, some weld shots.

And the final product in the car, just need to paint it and do a couple other minor things

Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Wow looks amazing man! Lets see the finished product and seat install!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn man, sorry you've had so many seat issues. Hopefully this fixes it all for you. On a side note "new to the tig"??? Seriously?! Those welds look like (almost lol) straight nickels, must be a pretty damn good welder for you to do that first time with a tig!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150
Wow looks amazing man! Lets see the finished product and seat install!
Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Damn man, sorry you've had so many seat issues. Hopefully this fixes it all for you. On a side note "new to the tig"??? Seriously?! Those welds look like (almost lol) straight nickels, must be a pretty damn good welder for you to do that first time with a tig!
Thanks for the kind words guys. I will be finishing up tonight. Just need to offset the right rear seat stud due to it interfering with the sliders, which I anticipated. So I am going to cut that stud off and offset 2" +- to the left with a new stud. Ill take more pics to make things more clear for other poor tall guys like myself haha.

Thanks 6LE yeah sometimes it really sucks being big/tall, I feel bad for guys that are bigger than me haha. As for my welds, thank you, it wasnt my first time with TIG but literally I only have a few beads under my belt but my machine is relatively simple for beginners so it makes things easier.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I think this is the first time I have said this, but im glad im short haha

nice bracket fab though hope it works for you!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, here is the final product including the offset of the stud. I had to offset it because it interfered with the slider of the seat now that the bracket is flat. I forgot to take a picture under the carpet of what I did, but i basically cut off the stud and plug welded a piece of flat stock using what was left of the stud. I offset it I believe 4" left. I am pointing to the original stud location.

Heres a pic of the bracket with the mount for the offset stud.

Another pic

and another weld pic, why not. I was trying out weaving with the torch

And finally the seat where its supposed to be.

All in all I am happy with the way it came out aside from one minor detail. I was concentrating so much on the height of the seat that I used a fairly thin piece of flat stock. Now with the seat in there, the bracket flexes which isnt really a big deal to fix, just annoying. I usually over engineer things because I like everything to be strong and solid, but this time it was an oversight on my part. I will have to take it back out and either gusset the bracket or double up the stock. Either way no big deal just a tad annoying.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Nice write up. I just installed my 6LE seats and I hate the height position and I am only 5' 10". The 6LE brackets were a complete waste of $, in my opinion. I bought them to save me time on install since I work a lot on the road and I am not home a lot to work on the car. The brackets required quite a modification of work to fit (removing material and hammering), and I even feel the final product has the seat slightly cocked to one side (requires more dremeling).

I have the ability to fab my own, but I bought the brackets to save time, which they really didn't in the long run. Add to the fact the seat sits too high I am really frustrated with the whole thing. The brackets were $200 and I feel I could have done the same for $30 and just a few more hours of my time.

The seats I received have a lever to adjust the back position. The photos on 6LE's site show a round ****. With the lever, there isn't much more room for the seat to be lowered before the lever unit hits the floor where it comes up to meet the bottom of the door. I doubt I can lower the seat more than 1/4" before there are interference issues.

I went with 6LE seats due to all the positive reviews online, but overall I am not impressed. Too bad too, I wanted new seats for years and now I am considering putting the stockers back in.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 03-16-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowered and offset seat bracket