Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help with seat covers ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 12:10 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help with seat covers ???

got a set of 97 T/A cloth that i am going to buy leather seat covers to replace the cloth. anyone ever change out the seat covers? im just getting info on how hard of a job this is. i cant afford to have someone install them, cheapest ive found in town is 275.00 !!! i barely spent that for the covers.

should i leave this up to professionals or not?

thanks!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search in here, there have been quite a few people do this
swap when a sponsor had a group purchase on Katzkin leather
seat covers. I know those that bought them got an "install" cd,
with instructions that you can view on your computer. Maybe
one of them wouldn't mind helping you out.

I'm also looking to get some TA cloth seats and put leather on
them, but I spent too much money on xmas this year, so it will
have to wait.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:59 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

thanks, ill have to check into that. good luck with yours.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might check the combination price with an upholstery company. When I had mine recovered I was quoted about the same price ($275) to install Katzkin that I was intending to buy and bring in to the shop.

But when I asked them what the total price would be for them to order and install the price was only $100 more than the direct price of the Katzkin.

Installation is not that bad, about 3 hours for an experienced upholsterer. More for a novice.

It was worth the $100, turns out also that saved me. When they ordered the kit it came with the wrong headrest covers and they had to reorder. They ate the cost for their mistake. It would have cost me otherwise.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

The cd from katzkin DOES NOT have instructions how to do it on an f-body. What do you want help on? I did mine http://community.webshots.com/album/79456660FVNfJs Do you need to know how to remove the cloth skin. There are hog ring on the bottom under the seat. Remove the two side screws from the side of the seat backing. You will see two retainer clips that hold the headrest on their. Then you need to remove the side controls to get the skin off the side. Look at my pictures on the old leather and you can see what I am talking about. I am not to good at instructions but I am pretty good at the door panels. Here is the info. I can do them in about 45 min. Fab it up expoy it around 2 times and get the right screws. All in all it will take about 1 day to be safe. But I took 3 days just because I wanted the expoy to cure. Here is the screws I used . I went ahead and got 10x1/2 screws and 10x3/4 screws just incase the 1/2 arent long enuff and dont get enuff threads in.( went ahead and used the 10x3/4 screws). Also got some flat cut washers 1/4. Then to glue down the other tabs that cannot be screwed down I bought some epoxy adhesive industrial strength. They sent me the wrong ones they were for a 97 headrests. LOL I ended up using the 10x3/4 screws for the doorhandle and armrests.I also used washers to reinforce the surface area around the cardboard so it will be stronger than what it was. Also used the 16x1 screw for the speaker form and it worked out great also used the2- 1/4 washer to reinforce it too on both sides of the leather on the cardboard. So if you are doing your door panels these are some tips on what I did. Hope it helps they turned out great.

One thing that is handy to have to do the door panels is a dremel. This will help you grind the plastic off and get the cardboard off to put your new skin. GM doesnt use screws on the panel, they melt the plastic . So you will only use the screws for the arm rest door handle and part of the speaker form. The rest have to be glued. I seperated the panel skins. Then I took off the oem skin. Then I just traced it on the backside of the door skin with a sharpie. Then I put it on the cardboard to make sure it covered everything and cut it and used a razor knife to make the holes and slits for the tabs. Then I used fabric glue in the spray can 3m makes some real good stuff. Then pasted it together and did all of the above to put it back together. Another thing on the side of the seats for the front you will need to get someone or a shop to sew them on the sides I got mine done from an upolstery shop for 20 $$ .

Last edited by JMWS6; 12-23-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:14 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

yea, shop will do all seats for 400.....imma have a shop do it. thanks guys!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

That is way too high
Old 12-24-2003, 03:46 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

what is a fair price?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

If they are doing just the seats and no door panels no more than $250. For a pro it shouldnt take them more than 3 hours. MAX It only took me being a rookie 5 hours. That was allot of guess work too. So dont let them take you for a ride
Old 12-24-2003, 09:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

the price included the seat covers(400.00 ) and its gonna cost me 345+38 shipping to get the covers. cheaper for me to pay a shop than try it and end up spending more money in the long run.

happy holidays!!!

Quick Reply: help with seat covers ???