Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Arm-Rest Fix Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arm-Rest Fix Write-Up

Every time i do a project on one of my cars im always in too much of a rush to take pics and do a write-up, but for something small like this i figured id snap some shots and contribute to the site. Just doing a short little write up on how to fix your arm-rest if the hinge side is coming apart like mine was. I've seen this on other f-bodys, so i figure some of you guys might have the same problem.

Heres the problem....
The cushion/cover of the armrest separates on the hinge side, causing it to not want to open all the way without binding. ...not to mention it looks like *** imo (im pretty picky when it comes to my car).

This is all i needed to fix it...
Only about 6" or so of 16Guage Galvanized Wire

Heres what i did...
I used an awl to poke four holes in the leather. Then i took two pieces of wire and bent them in a "U" shape so i could snake them around the inside the cushion. Then i just ran the wire around the posts for the screw holes and twisted them together until they pulled the cushion/cover back in.
***Just make sure when your punching through with the awl and snaking the wire you dont push through the other side of the cushion***

You dont have to worry about doing anything to hold the wire down... When you put the hinge back on it will hold it down.

Pics of the finished product...

Hope This Helps Someone Out
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet man thank you. Mine is sticking out. Actually out so far that it doesn't interfere with the lid opening, but looks like crap.

I'll have to give this a go.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Nice idea for sure man, Im going to try it out too. Mines has the bulge on the driver side.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a good fix! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

"Sweet man thank you. Mine is sticking out. Actually out so far that it doesn't interfere with the lid opening, but looks like crap."

Same here.

The part in front of the button used to open on mine sticks out. The little piece of arm rest that is left in that area. It came apart and looks like total crap how it sticks out. I don't think its possible to fix that. I would love to get a new one because it looks horrible, but they cost so damn much! Always see them go on eBay for $100+!