Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

clay barring the right way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay barring the right way?

ok well i got a clay bar for christmas and i tried it today. so i washed the car theni clay barred the hood first well i noticed it left a residue so i re washed the hood bad idea so again i clay barred then used a terry cloth towel to wipe the residue off much better idea but i still have like streaks you have to look at it a certain way to see them.. am i doing this right?? the streaks are like darker ... am i just not wiping hard enough or what?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

With my Zanio, I mixed a small amount of car wash and some water in a spray bottle and used this for lubrication, I rubbed the bar on about a 2'x2' square then wiped the soap/clay residue with a terry cloth, There was still some residue left but after I completed the whole car I gave it a good wash. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-26-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you using a "lubricant" ? Either use a diluted mix of say "dawn" and water, or the solution that comes with the clay bar. Sounds like you are letting the surface between the bar and the paint dry out. It sould always remain wet.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Launching!

i am using this lube that came with it but yea the wind was blowing it dry a bit is there such a thing as too much lube? also does it matter how long and how many times you do this? the more the better ?? how do you know when you have been over an area enough? i noticed the strip between the t tops was much smoother then the hood ...
Old 12-26-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say never too much lube. You don't ever want the dry clay touching the car surface. As too how many times? It comes with practice. The best test is to take a thin plastic bag, out your hand in it, and gentle rub your fingers over the paint, you sould "feel" roughness, then clab bar the area and run your fingers over it. It does not take a ton of work, it is time consuming to do the entire car.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Launching!

after i worked on thehood some i noticed spots that i thought were gone but i guess the wax hig them a bit but now that i did the clay bar i can see every flaw (blk car) i have what looks like stains from bugs, and birds**t and a few rock chips it appears what should i do next to get as many of these flaws out of the clear coat?? also after clay barring if i wash my car again after fixing these flaws will i have to clay bar again?
Old 12-26-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say...no. The clay bar removes the contaminants from the paint and prepares the finish for polishing and sealing...kind of like a deep cleaning. You should only have to clay periodically to remove heavy contaminants (i.e. environmental fallout, rail dust, etc.)...
Old 12-26-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

What you need to do first is wash the car with dawn to get all the old wax off, then you dry it, get a bottle of car wash, mix a cap of that with water in a spray bottle and use that for lubrication.........spray like a 2ftx2ft area and work with that, go over the entire car, and then re wash it again, I would HIGHLY suggest that the surface of the paint be cool and do it in a shaded area where there is no direct sunlight.......

After drying your good to go for your first clean coat of what ever you are applying....

Quick Reply: clay barring the right way?