Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with paint. Plus new partz!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with paint. Plus new partz!

I needed to have my bumper repaired and repainted recently so I took it to a body shop and gave them the U 320 C paint code from inside the door and this is what they came up with. It's supposed to be Mystic Teal but I don't know which one is the factory color and which one is wrong. The car has been repainted before but both previous owners swear the color is factory. What do you guys think?

I also gave a friend of mine $250, my stock hood, wing, and cloth seats in return for a set leather seats, an aftermarket SS wing, and a real Sunoco hood. Who's the ***** F****ng man?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MTM is a very hard paint to match being the type it is. Your car currently is the right shade, it looks like mine (and mine is factory paint). They painted your bumper too light of a shade.

What really needs to happen is they need to have the car there when they paint the bumper (and hood and spoiler at this point) so they can match as close as possible and then blend it on the fenders and quarters.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Well crap! I bet this is going to cost me more money than I really wanted it to huh?

I have been tossing the idea around of changing the color all together to Electron Blue Metallic. My buddy's vettes have been this color and they look very nice. There really isn't much purple about that color compared to most of the other blues out there.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you change the color of the car it will be even more expensive, as you'll have to paint all the door jams and all that stuff.

I personally like MTM. Electron blue is cool but I love the way MTM can be so green at some angles and a deep blue at others. I'm planning on repainting my whole car this summer but I'm keeping it the same color.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Teching In

stay mystic, have they tried to blend it? looks too blue on bumper cover
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

i like the color of the bumper better than the rest of the car actually.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
i like the color of the bumper better than the rest of the car actually.
cosign
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
cosign
Agreed.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

so whats the deal with your friend? is there a reason for this generosity
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I agree that the color on the bumper is nicer than the car. I really think the bumper is correct. I really can't get the rest of the car to flop the blue color no matter what time of day or angle I take the pic.

No, they didn't even have the car when they painted the bumper.

My friend was trying to get rid of his Z28 for months but couldn't move it for the price he was asking so he lowered the price for the buyers by selling me the hood, wing, and seats. Sometimes fortuine smiles on us. This is proof.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex41
I agree that the color on the bumper is nicer than the car. I really think the bumper is correct. I really can't get the rest of the car to flop the blue color no matter what time of day or angle I take the pic.

No, they didn't even have the car when they painted the bumper.

My friend was trying to get rid of his Z28 for months but couldn't move it for the price he was asking so he lowered the price for the buyers by selling me the hood, wing, and seats. Sometimes fortuine smiles on us. This is proof.
The bumper is deff not correct!!! You have others on here with mystic cars telling you that. My painter is the man and knows his ****. The whole car has never been repainted.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

No, no, no...By no means am I calling YOU a liar. I just don't know if Troy is sure about his side of the story. He claims never to have any paint work done but both rear quarters and both doors have been repainted. The hood and bumper used to be red and the drivers front fender used to be black.

Please don't take offense to this thread. I'm just really confused after seeing all the other Mystic Teals on here looking more like the bumper than the car.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

The bumper is not the right color man it is to blue to MTM the car is factory color and I am sure of my side of the story I never had any paint work done on that car here are some pics of when I first got it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...7-new-guy.html
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

I say save up a whole repaint personally. That newish color looks a lot better
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

It could be a simple as the wrong shade or not as many coats as it needed for full coverage. If they can get the color closer they won't need to blend the quarters, but defiantly have them reshot the front cover and blend fenders when they paint the hood. I usually don't charge much more to blend fenders because it doesn't take much more time or material while they're at it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
I say save up a whole repaint personally. That newish color looks a lot better
+1

I know it's not what the Op wants to hear, but if you have to paint the hood and spoiler anyway....lol I really really like that color on the bumper
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
+1

I know it's not what the Op wants to hear, but if you have to paint the hood and spoiler anyway....lol I really really like that color on the bumper
I started to get my hood and my bumper painted when i first got the car a few years ago and have the entire car detailed over/under. But a realized, a: its a winter DD right now : B: its got 170k almost as she sits and C: its impractical.

I painted the hood myself as the original owner had like 1 layer of paint on it. Yeah its got no clear, yeah it has orange peel but its the semi same color, and goes well with the 20 foot rule.

Im doing engine bay, under over, everything when she is done with modding( 1 or 2 years) It will look better, LAST longer and be much easier to maintain and add some to whats left of the poor vehicle value. It will no longer be a DD and I wont have to worry about waxing the paint off of it, and it will all be dead on.

Wait it out man, it will be well worth it.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

I finally got ahold of my body man today and he agrees that he's the one who messed up the color.

I apologize to anyone I may have accused falsly here. I just kind of lost my head when this all went down and I started looking for excuses other than the obvious.

All that being said, he quoted me $1200 to paint the whole car the correct color, wet sand, and buff it out. That's not bad but the shop is renound for taking its sweet *** time.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex41
I finally got ahold of my body man today and he agrees that he's the one who messed up the color.

I apologize to anyone I may have accused falsly here. I just kind of lost my head when this all went down and I started looking for excuses other than the obvious.

All that being said, he quoted me $1200 to paint the whole car the correct color, wet sand, and buff it out. That's not bad but the shop is renound for taking its sweet *** time.
Id jump on that deal if it isnt your DD.. make a contract first though...

Quick Reply: Need help with paint. Plus new partz!