Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ULTRA Z HOOD OWNERS>>>PLEASE REPLY

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ULTRA Z HOOD OWNERS>>>PLEASE REPLY

Am looking to buy the Ultra Z hood shortly and just curious how it works. It says it works with the stock Air Box setup. I am not seeing how this is possible with the lid on . To use the Ultra Z RAM, do you remove the actual lid so that it seats directly to the filter when hood is close therefore allowing a RAM mod? Please reply and explain how the hood is functional....

thanks
Old 12-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

It works just like the SS hood except it doesn't have to go through the channels to reach the front of the airbox. The scoop is directly in front of the lid opening. There is just a baffle in teh scoop to keep rain out. It works perfectly with stock air box. In fact, you can also use the larger WS6 lower air box with the hood because the hood allows for more clearance for that box. I will get pictures up if you want.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

I would like to see the pics if you don't mind... I am just having trouble seeing how it could help with power gain. Don't get me wrong... I am getting it because i like the way it looks, but it claims to help performance as well and am just not seeing how it hooks up to help out the air box as it is closed off from the top. Only removing the top of the lid would allow it to "RAM" so to speak
referenece this weblink for the "suncoast Z" hood... this is what I imagine as totatlly functional compared to the Ultra Z.. note the airbox mod that comes with it to make it truly "RAM"

http://www.lmperformance.com/877/1.html
Old 12-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Let me tell you this... It will not give you a noticeable power gain, but it WILL help with lowering Intake Air Temperatures (IATs) while driving around town, and during races. It is more of a cold air induction than a "Ram-Air" hood. The effectiveness of Ram Air is still in debate. Many believe it to be a myth, including me. I just love the looks of the hood and that my IATs while driving around are only a few degrees higher than the air outside, and the faster you go, the colder it gets (especially at 150+ )

Oh and it's nothing like the Suncoast one. The Ultra-Z hood just routes air to the front of the airbox.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

so then if you had it to do over again would you grab the suncoast z hood to serve both purposes then or stick with the ultra Z?
Old 12-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I would stick with the Ultra-Z hood. It just looks incredible:

Old 12-27-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dosent SLP sale a kit that seals to the hood?? Ive heard it works great with a FIPK, I just dont have the money to buy one..

Wes
Old 12-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Well, if you can call two small strips of rubber a kit to seal to the hood, then yea. But, all these Ram-Air hoods are mostly for looks and good ol' cold air induction.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep BBZ28 is right... Bought mine about two years ago strictly on looks alone.. I have felt no gains in power at any speed, but on a side note, I get alot of compliments on it..
Old 12-28-2003, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You wont gain much if any from the hood, but a friend of mine pit a WS6 hood on his T/A, then a lower airbox (at a later time) and said he noticed a good difference with the lower airbox. With the Ultra-Z hood, like mentioned above, you can fit this airbox under the hood. But like BigBlackZ said....it just looks good

Old 12-28-2003, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

arctic... your car is **** dude.... your look is what I am going for.... ultra Z hood..... boyd coddington smoothie 2s here tho on BFG 275s

thanks for the info guys.. i agree.... gotta go with the ultra on looks alone with this one ragrdless of performance
Old 12-28-2003, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Cokeroker. I searched for a while to find pics of this hood on a white car and never found one, so just bit the bullet and picked one up. I really like it. Next move for me is going to be to lower the car. With the 18's in the back it looks OK, but I really need to put that front end on the ground
Old 12-28-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

I am gonna do the ultra Z hood, black billet grill, white corners with smoothie 2 17X10 wheels with 315s out back and 275s in the front.... should look pretty sick.... can't wait

am also going with the eibech springs / bilstein shocks-struts which will put her about another inch closer to mother earth
Old 12-29-2003, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

I like this one. ..yup ..its my car

Last edited by Bharnz; 12-29-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

i liked the double vision as well, but just don't want to look like a firebird too much. I am trying to keep it camaroish all the way and stay true to form... it looks **** though, just not my style

Quick Reply: ULTRA Z HOOD OWNERS>>>PLEASE REPLY