Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can Hail chip your cars paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Hail chip your cars paint?

Yesterday we had a big storm roll through and my car was parked outside for the first time in forever. Of course the biggest hail ive ever seen came with it. There were some probably 1.5+ in diameter. Now its been through small hail before and no damage but this time either tones of extremely small chips come from nowhere or im going crazy. After the storm i washed the car and on the rear quarter panels and hood/lights i noticed a alot(~25) of tiny chips ive never noticed before. Now could large size hail cause this or not. No dents from what i can see I think the ripple marks were already in the quarter panels before so idk. Now im wondering if i should make a claim or not and such.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can rocks chip your paint? Same answer.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

well ive heard from some that they have only seen dents caused by hail but after today I got a good look at the rear quarter panels and hood and they are definitely chips that were never there before so hopefully my insurance doesn't screw me.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Of course. Why couldn't it chip your paint?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go grab an ice cube and throw it at your car. Chipping will occur.

...don't do that. How bad are the chips, and how many of them are there? It's RIDICULOUSLY easy to fix chips yourself. All you need is a can of matching paint, a toothpick, and some sandpaper (wet). Then you'll have to polish out the sanding marks.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 WS6

...don't do that. How bad are the chips, and how many of them are there? It's RIDICULOUSLY easy to fix chips yourself. All you need is a can of matching paint, a toothpick, and some sandpaper (wet). Then you'll have to polish out the sanding marks.
lmao. The car was parked on a curb during the storm so the upright side or passenger side quarter panel took most the damage. The chips are very small probably a millimeter. I would say 15 on the passenger quarter, 3-5 on drivers and 30 all over the esp. the headlights. If it was like 5 or less than i would try your route but from going to near immaculate paint to 50 millimeter chips i cant have that.

My friend said that the insurance agent is prob going to try and say the hood chips are from highway driving chips. What could I do to convince them otherwise?? I mean there were a couple before but nowhere like this.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you know how to take closeup (MACRO) pictures with your camera? try posting some up. take the pictures at weird angles looking across the paint - try holding a flashlight to shine light that might expose subtle dents. even if its not visible without looking at it with flashlight or sunlight at odd angles, if it is there, it is technically damaged and should be covered.

there's gotta be some dents from the hail, but i can't see how it would chip the paint. a rock has tough sharp edges whereas hail usually is generally softer and even the dense hail with hard edges would make small dents.
if you've got no dents.... probably freeway chips, but then again you could have had some wind blowing debris around (like a mini tornado through some rocks/gravel near your car). i'd think if there are no dents, if you called it wind blown debris there could be some covered claim.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
do you know how to take closeup (MACRO) pictures with your camera? try posting some up. take the pictures at weird angles looking across the paint - try holding a flashlight to shine light that might expose subtle dents. even if its not visible without looking at it with flashlight or sunlight at odd angles, if it is there, it is technically damaged and should be covered.

there's gotta be some dents from the hail, but i can't see how it would chip the paint. a rock has tough sharp edges whereas hail usually is generally softer and even the dense hail with hard edges would make small dents.
if you've got no dents.... probably freeway chips, but then again you could have had some wind blowing debris around (like a mini tornado through some rocks/gravel near your car). i'd think if there are no dents, if you called it wind blown debris there could be some covered claim.
Pretty much it, most often hail is very round. You must realize hail is generated and shaped by updrafts and gravity and the supercooled water droplets in clouds will attached to it, sometimes they won't be round at all since the generation process is very chaotic - we would experience dents and chips on the Ford Explorer we used in Oklahoma when I use to chase storms from "spiky hail."

Example:

Nasty SOBs.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never seen hail like that! thats wicked!

When I worked in the body shop we had a lot of hail damaged vehicles come through. The only time I seen cracked paint was when a stone would hit right on the edge or corner of a panel. All the rest were just dents with no chips. I'm not saying it can't happen, theres a lot of variables to account for, but I'm just saying I didn't see it in the couple of big storms we had come through and the 100's of vehicles that got nailed.

By the way, repairing hail damage is the least fun thing to do in a body shop! IMHO I hated it unless we were just replacing panels with new ones.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you guys think there is a shot in hell for the car to be repainted? Both the rear quarter panels and the hood are pretty bad so what are they just going to blend everything? bc I don't the paint to look different everywhere.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

It all depends on your insurance company and what the body shop quotes you. I kind of doubt they'll paint the whole car tho.

Quick Reply: Can Hail chip your cars paint?