Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disabling fogs with HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disabling fogs with HID's?

Ok-

Just installed some HID's in the fogs - has anyone had any issues with the light coming on when locking/unlocking the doors?

I thought I remembered hearing this would kill the lights?

If so, how can I disable the fogs so that they don't light with the lock/unlock?

Thanks

J
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just turn them off.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yep^ if the fog switch is on they will turn on every time the parking lights turn on.... so turn off the switch when you get out.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I was thinking that if you're using a wiring harness with a relay that if you use a time-delay relay it would be a simple workaround?

You can leave the fog light switch on all the time and when you lock/unlock the car the fog lights wouldn't turn on because signal power wouldn't be on long enough to satisfy the time-delay for the relay and keep the contacts open (lights/ballasts see no power).

Of course, it'd be a lot cheaper to just turn the switch off every time you get out of the car.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got my headlights modified so that my lows and fogs stay on with the high beams and now my fog light switch doesn't work..

Is there verifiable info that the lock/unlock lights will kill the HID's? I thought I remembered there being another way to turn them off, other than just flipping the switch off..

Just another reason why I need to swap out the low beams for HIDs, then I can undo the high/low mod and flip the switch.. LOL..
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I to would like to know how to do this for when I put mine in
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Shouldn't you be able to turn the fogs off even if you did the all lights on mod? I would unplug those HIDs until you found a way to shut them off manually.... or they wont last long lol
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought there was a way to tell the car that when I hit the lock/unlock not to activate any of the lights..

Anyone know how to do this?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u need a simply relay ihad the same problem plus sometimes only one would go on ebay has plug and play relay harnesses that plug into the hid's and all you have to do is hook up a 12v power and a ground so they get 12v's all the time
Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kinda relay? Can you shoot me a link?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

just go to ebay and type in hid relay and find which bulb you have should find it in 2 seconds
Old 04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wound up just reversing the mod I did to the headlights since I'll be getting HID low beams soon..
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would get the relays kit anyway its like 15 bucks and its literaly plug and play then one wire to the battery and one wire to a ground heres a link to what im talking about you just need to get the right one for your foglight bulbs so its the right connector
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9005-...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I saw that.. I'll probably pick one up..
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I saw that.. I'll probably pick one up..
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tram
I thought there was a way to tell the car that when I hit the lock/unlock not to activate any of the lights..

Anyone know how to do this?
Not sure if this will work, and you already undid your mod to your fogs so you might not need this, but can't you adjust the alarm system or whatever so when you lock the car it doesn't flash and it won't honk?

I have done this to my car at one point. You pull a fuse, turn the key over to AUX and then press the unlock or lock on your keypad til the car chimes so many times.

It's in our manuals. It's the anti-theft system. You can make it so your parking lights won't flash went you hit lock on the keypad. That way your fogs won't get any juice because the parking lamps won't either.

And by the way, I have my highs and lows and fogs all HID. I just took out the bulbs today so I can put new 6k bulbs in. I had 10k and they were nice but kind of ricey and not as bright so going to pure white. If you want I can pm pics/vid when I am done re-installing them.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ yes you can set the alarm to arm without visual confirmation
Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did the fog/low with highs on mod wrong if you disabled your fog light switch.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Toofast3800 - thanks for the reply man.. That's what I was looking fir..

SuperBat - thanks for the critique.. I simply removed the relay and jumpered it.. "Wrong" is a bit subjective.. It was reversible in 2 seconds, I didn't have to rig it...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HIDs are not intended to be run in short bursts. this is why HIDs are NOT used as high beam in dual light(high/low separated) systems. They require a few minutes to heat up to full brightness. running them in short bursts harms the bulbs lifespan. Bi-Xenon HID systems use a metal panel to cut off the light at a specific point to create a Low/High system. Panel is up, Low beam is active. Panel is down, Full/High Beam is active. Its generally moved by a magnetic coil.

Bypassing is probably best done with a relay near the headlight controls at the dash. If memory serves the brown wire is the low beam trigger wire. install a relay that uses the Brown wire on the Coil connection for the Relay... 85 maybe. 30 is ground, 87/87A is the device you wish to power AKA.. Fogs. 86 should be 12v constant. this when wired up correctly will turn on the fogs with the lows, if you use the fog light wire coming from the headlight control block will have a secondary control. the foglight switch. the relay will allow power to flow when the lows are on, the switch then takes over as on/off when the lows are on.

Fogs will NEVER come on without the Lows on. since in F-Body's lows are on fulltime when the headlights are on this shouldn't be a problem.

Using HIDs in fogs without bypassing the BCM's control of the Fogs will lead to PHD(Premature Hid Death) !

Q: Will the shortened lifespan be huge?
A: Can't say. I still have halogen fogs. Thou they no longer provide useful light as my retrofit HIDs are far superior to the factory sealed beams! Its truly sad when Fog lights provide useful light for regular driving.

Quick Reply: Disabling fogs with HID's?