Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ode to the old school

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ode to the old school

Well i own a 99 T/A M6, but like the old school muscle cars. So i was tinkering around with the idea of putting and 1st or 2nd generation steering wheel in my ride. So i picked up this wheel for a GOOD price. Turns out everything bolts right up. The airbag is removed along with radio controls neither which i care about. Then i just had to fab up a small wire to operate the horn. Everything works great and the wheel is a smaller diameter than the stock one and in my opinion looks great. The first pic is initial install, the next two are after I wrapped the wheel in some new leather. I am going to find a shop around here to redo the wheel, i just need help locating a shop in San Antonio.
Attached Thumbnails Ode to the old school-car-wheel-1.jpg   Ode to the old school-car-wheel-2.jpg   Ode to the old school-car-wheel-3.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude that is BadASS!!!! Been wondering about that myself... didnt think it would work. That will go Great with my 2nd Gen Shifter ****!!! Good Job!!!

Edit: Maybe not..... just checked ebay.... at the prices!!! lol

Last edited by YURVIEW; 05-05-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LMAO, i have been trying to find the steering wheel they normally go for 125.00+ without any of the hardware to bolt it in.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

That looks real nice, you say it bolted right up
Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

That must be from a late-seventies Trans Am. All of the older muscle cars that I've driven have had a steering wheel that is no thicker than my pointer finger. The older cars' steering wheels feel quite awkward when driving, since in most modern cars, I swear they continue to increase grip size year after year.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to answer the first question, the wheel bolted right up. The only difference is the horn wire, which i cut mine down and soldered the end onto the horn button bracket for the "new" wheel. While i was cleaning and painting the parts for the steering wheel assy, i found a date of Sep 1972. So the wheel is pretty old. I kept the original foam on there and wrapped a piece of thin leather around the wheel and cross stitched it together.

Quick Reply: Ode to the old school