Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sound Dampening w/ eDead V3.....

Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Sound Dampening w/ eDead V3.....

I just finished up doing this project on my '02 Z28 so I thought I'd let everyone know the results. First I took a couple test drives with a Radio Shack db meter to get a baseline. I went over a couple stretches of road that are reasonably smooth and got numbers at highway and in-town speeds. I also checked at idle and at a couple fixed rpm points. Then I blew the interior apart and applied V3. For those that aren't familiar, V3 is a semi-liquid sound dampener that can be sprayed or brushed on. I did a combination of the two but mostly brushed it on. I did most of the spraying on the inside of the quarter panels and on the wheel tubs where its hard to reach. I also removed the mid speakers and sprayed some in there. I applied 2-3 coats on pretty much the whole interior including the rear side panels up to the headliner (nothing on the doors, roof, or hatch). I used almost 3 gallons all together. When the eDead was dry I put down a couple rolls of Frost King since it's cheap - I figured it couldn't hurt. Then I re-installed the interior and went for a drive.

My initial impression - definitely an improvement in quieting down road noise and it helped some with exhaust noise, especially on the highway. It wasn't as much if an improvement as I'd hoped but I guess I have to resign myself to fact that I'm driving a Camaro, not a Cadillac! I haven't done anything in the doors yet maybe that will help some more. The car has a little more solid feel & sound though. Anyway, here are the 'before-after' db differences I recorded. All readings taken with the windows up and all accessories off.

Parked - Idle - 900rpm ..... -4db
Parked - 2000rpm ..... -3db
Parked - 3000rpm ..... -3db
Cruising 35mph - gear 4 - 1600rpm ..... -3db
Cruising 65mph - gear 6 - 1600rpm ..... -2db

Overall I think this is a good mod, although it was a lot of work. Doing it all myself it took pretty much all weekend. Sorry I didn't take any pics but there are plenty of bare interior shots around here. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm. not bad... I would be interested in seeing some weight differences.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd guess each gallon weighs about 10# so when it dries it has to lose a couple #s. I offset the additional weight by leaving the spare & jack out and putting in a can of fix-a-flat.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you happen to do inside behind the sail panel speakers? But it really sounds like u did a good job I wish i took DB reading before and after I did mine.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RsSean
did you happen to do inside behind the sail panel speakers? But it really sounds like u did a good job I wish i took DB reading before and after I did mine.
Ya, that's the mid-speaker I mentioned. I pulled them and sprayed quite a bit in there, on the quarter & wheel tub. I also brushed the sail panel around the speaker hole. Did you use eDead too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Dampening w/ eDead V3.....