Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Couple of quick questions about painting calipers and chrome plating the brackets

Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Couple of quick questions about painting calipers and chrome plating the brackets

My damn car got hit on Sunday by some jackass that left the scene while I was at the beach. But good news today, gonna get the whole car painted out of the deal through insurance.....and it needs it big time...12 year old paint. I do have to throw in like $400.00 because this shop can't put it all on the insurance company, but thats cool with me.

While its down the body shop is going to let me take all 4 calipers and brackets off so I can first sand and polish them real smooth.....then paint them. I will be chrome plating the brackets.

Questions are:

Calipers:

Whats the best paint kit to buy? I want them painted red and very smooth like the exterior paint on the car is smooth.

OR....after I sand and polish them, can this painter thats doing my car hit them with the same color red that he's doing my car with??? Just a thought.

Brackets:

Is it ok to sand them and polish them before chroming, or should they just go straight to the chrome shop?

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 05-18-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the calipers cleaned up and smoothed out and have the painter paint them to match. I sanded the casting marks off of mine before painting them and it didn't take too long. You can do the same thing with the brackets just paint them in a contrasting color or the same color. I used Plastic-Cote Caliper paint from the parts store. Can't help you with the chrome process. I would assume they would need to be clean and smooth and ready to be dipped or you will have to pay the chromer to prep them.
Attached Thumbnails Couple of quick questions about painting calipers and chrome plating the brackets-rotorf3.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99zee
I would get the calipers cleaned up and smoothed out and have the painter paint them to match. I sanded the casting marks off of mine before painting them and it didn't take too long. You can do the same thing with the brackets just paint them in a contrasting color or the same color. I used Plastic-Cote Caliper paint from the parts store. Can't help you with the chrome process. I would assume they would need to be clean and smooth and ready to be dipped or you will have to pay the chromer to prep them.
So the car body paint will handle the heat of the calipers?

Also, should he clear coat them too?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
So the car body paint will handle the heat of the calipers?

Also, should he clear coat them too?

Yes, I cleared mine after the decals. As far as the body paint holding up, I don't know for sure. I have had no problems with mine with the spray paint. Just looked at the can and it states "900 degree coating". You could also have them powdercoated. That turns out nice, but it gets expensive. I spent a few dollars for paint, primer and clear and a full days work.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99zee
Yes, I cleared mine after the decals. As far as the body paint holding up, I don't know for sure. I have had no problems with mine with the spray paint. Just looked at the can and it states "900 degree coating". You could also have them powdercoated. That turns out nice, but it gets expensive. I spent a few dollars for paint, primer and clear and a full days work.
How about that Dupli-Color brush on kit......

Then I can have him clear coat them.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regular BC/CC will hold up fine, so you can have the body shop do it with the car. You just have to be careful bleeding them, or switch to DOT-5 fluid, it's much safer for paint.

The caliper brackets should be smoothed by somebody. Either you do it or the chrome shop will do it for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the brackets close and that will save you some money. The chrome (shop if a good one) will still need to do some prep I am sure...the one I use fills in all the pin holes and pits with brass before plating. Its a very time consuming and expesive process to say the least...

Here are mine...I had mine 90% smooth when I carried them and they still had over 20hrs in finishing them all:

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Get the brackets close and that will save you some money. The chrome (shop if a good one) will still need to do some prep I am sure...the one I use fills in all the pin holes and pits with brass before plating. Its a very time consuming and expesive process to say the least...

Here are mine...I had mine 90% smooth when I carried them and they still had over 20hrs in finishing them all:

Looks friggin great.

So you have the calipers chromed??? No problem with heat from breaking?

Looks like the inside surfaces of the brackets are a little rough, which is ok I guess since you can't see that when installed. So just the visible surfaces really need to be smoothed out by me, right????

What shop did you use, maybe I'll send them there. How much did they charge for all that?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

Making me think that chromed calipers is the way to go....and just smooth out the brackets and paint them red.

I just thought there might be a problem with heat if you chrome a caliper.

Hmmmm.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whistler
Regular BC/CC will hold up fine, so you can have the body shop do it with the car. You just have to be careful bleeding them, or switch to DOT-5 fluid, it's much safer for paint.

The caliper brackets should be smoothed by somebody. Either you do it or the chrome shop will do it for you.

Whats BC/CC?

What do you mean DOT-5 is safer for paint? Do you mean it will stay cooler so it doesn't hurt the paint on the hot caliper?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

97ramsst,

One other question.

Can I just get the visible surfaces of the calipers chromed and then maybe a inch or so around each edge, but not the entire thing?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Looks friggin great.

So you have the calipers chromed??? No problem with heat from breaking?

Looks like the inside surfaces of the brackets are a little rough, which is ok I guess since you can't see that when installed. So just the visible surfaces really need to be smoothed out by me, right????

What shop did you use, maybe I'll send them there. How much did they charge for all that?

Yes, the whole set up is chromed and there is no problem from heat...they dont get that hot.

The inside surfaces are rough...you cant see them. Smoothing is VERY VERY VERY time consuming and expensive. There is no need to spend time on something you can see. You can smooth your own but they will still need attention by a pro to look their best. Pits need to be filled and sanding lines removed and so on. Like I said there is over 20hrs in prep time on these and they were already "smooth" when I carried them in.

I use S&H Chrome in Madison, TN. Google them and give them a call for a quote...but be prepaired its not cheap. Powder Coating them "near chrome" maybe a better solution if your worried about price.

97ramsst,

One other question.

Can I just get the visible surfaces of the calipers chromed and then maybe a inch or so around each edge, but not the entire thing?

No, its not like powder coating...you have to do the whole thing.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Pics on the car:

Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Heres some brackets that i powder coated with chrome 160%. They had been on vehicle a while so there not as nice looking as they were, but still looked nice! and cheap about $20 for powder.
Attached Thumbnails Couple of quick questions about painting calipers and chrome plating the brackets-lg_035.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Pics on the car:

Looks damn nice. I've seen so many guys polish the hell out of theirs for days and they still don't look anywhere as good as the chrome.....and it won't last either without alot of polishing maintenance.

What did all yours cost with the 20hrs of prep.....? I want to know just so I have an idea if I want to spend that much or just totally forget the idea.

All I would do is chrome the calipers and paint the brackets red....I think I'd like that best.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Looks damn nice. I've seen so many guys polish the hell out of theirs for days and they still don't look anywhere as good as the chrome.....and it won't last either without alot of polishing maintenance.

What did all yours cost with the 20hrs of prep.....? I want to know just so I have an idea if I want to spend that much or just totally forget the idea.

All I would do is chrome the calipers and paint the brackets red....I think I'd like that best.

Thanks.

Sent you a PM....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple of quick questions about painting calipers and chrome plating the brackets