Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting the windows tinted this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Getting the windows tinted this weekend

So im getting my windows tinted this weekend. 35% is whats legal in MA but i dont even thing 35% is worth doing so im trying to decide between 5% and 15%. I'm pretty sure my rear window is already tinted 5% becuase even up very close you cannot see anything through the hatch. Opinions? Should i go 5% or 15%? Car is a black SS if that helps.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTBSully
So im getting my windows tinted this weekend. 35% is whats legal in MA but i dont even thing 35% is worth doing so im trying to decide between 5% and 15%. I'm pretty sure my rear window is already tinted 5% becuase even up very close you cannot see anything through the hatch. Opinions? Should i go 5% or 15%? Car is a black SS if that helps.
I did 5 and love it, although it sucks *** to park at night you get used to it and dont have to worry. Some other things that suck are at night in low lit places you cant see people walking say from a street corner till they are right where your windshield is, being paranoid about cops..blah. When i redo mine ill do 20 or 25 all around, but 5% looks awesome and you probably will love it. I vote 5 if you dont have issues with cops otherwise 20 or 25.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happy medium would be 20% all the way around..plenty dark, vision from inside is decent/good
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

several things to consider.

1) t-top car or hardtop? if t-top, is it just glass, or do you have shades? if you dont have shades, that is letting more light in, effectively making the other tints lighter as well. if you have shades, or a hardtop, it darkens the car more, so a higher % tint could be used and achieve the same effect as a darker tint in a t-top car with no shades.

2) do you drive at night? if so do your windows roll up/down with no issues? Anyone with dark tint who drives around at night can tell you that there will be times that you need to roll down the windows to go in reverse, because you wont be able to see out of any of your windows/mirrors.

3) how do you feel about tickets? I'm assuming that you don't care much, since you know the legal limit and your going below it. I'm the same, just know that you are putting yourself in the position to get a ticket every time your out on the road.

if you really don't care though, i'd recommend doing the windshield as well, since it lets in so much light it really makes the car brighter inside. if you were to do 35% on the windshield and like 15-20% on the doors, with the 5% you already have on the hatch, you'd have a darker car than one with just the 5% on the doors and nothing on windshield.

i have 5% on the hatch, t-top shades, and 15% on the doors, and although you cant see through the back/sides, you can see inside if your looking through the front, which i dont care for. There's so many variables with tint, its hard to just say go with one or the other. it really depends on what you want for the overall look/use of your car.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

oh and just for reference, the 35% is definitely worth it. I did this with the camaro after getting tired of be pulled over (like 8 times) and getting warnings for the tint, and finally getting a ticket.

5% on the hatch, 35% on the sides, shades in t-tops

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

do the t-tops come tinted from the factory? Mine are pretty much black. man this is gonna be tough. Atleast i have till saturday when my appt is to decide.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I have used to have 5% all the way around, and I kept getting pulled over for it. Finally I removed the side tint and re-tinted it with 35%. To be honest, I like 35% tint way better than 5% because it's not just pure black, it has a really nice shine to it and it's still tough to see through. It gives the glass a real nice "smoked" look, and I like it way more than I did for the 5%.

Had my 35% on for a few years now, never once got pulled over for it.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Crimson that car is just sex. 35% is the legal limit here too and that's probably what i'll be doing after seeing this. I just need to tint the t-tops or get some shades.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MTBSully
do the t-tops come tinted from the factory? Mine are pretty much black. man this is gonna be tough. Atleast i have till saturday when my appt is to decide.
the t-tops are darker than the sides, but they still let a lot of light through. i know of quite a few people here on the site who have gotten 5%, and even some who've done double 5% on the t-tops so they let practically no light in, and you can still see out. but the shade blocks 100% of the light.

Originally Posted by WS-Six
I have used to have 5% all the way around, and I kept getting pulled over for it. Finally I removed the side tint and re-tinted it with 35%. To be honest, I like 35% tint way better than 5% because it's not just pure black, it has a really nice shine to it and it's still tough to see through. It gives the glass a real nice "smoked" look, and I like it way more than I did for the 5%.

Had my 35% on for a few years now, never once got pulled over for it.
same feeling here. i actually don't care for the pure black look. next time i do tint, i'll probably do 15-20% o the hatch, and 35% on the sides and windshield.

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Crimson that car is just sex. 35% is the legal limit here too and that's probably what i'll be doing after seeing this. I just need to tint the t-tops or get some shades.
thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

15% sides, 5% everywhere else.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Here is my story, I have 5% on the t-tops, and on all the windows minus the windshield.. DUDE ITS DARK AS HELL!!! I have a hard time parking at night. PERIOD.

And I have almost hit stuff i didn't see..

I got pulled over for 5mph over.. and got nailed with a window tint ticket.. $120..these tickets double each time in the state of GA.. and 3rd time is mandatory court..

stay legal.. and you wont have to worry about cops or fines..
Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5% all around, 35% front windshield is how I roll.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Dude i have to agree with the stay safe from cops stuff. Cause in Atlanta the car itself is hot enough.lol. I have 20% all over and its nice it really actually looks darker than usual at night. Its easy to see also. My t-top im doing a 5% tint.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have 20% all the way around its a nice balance. Make sure u get your t-tops tinted or shades. I havent done mine yet its like a sky light lol.
On my old camaro i had 15% in the back 35% in the front. I liked it fronts looked darker than i thought it would. Never had any problems with tickets surprisingly MI law is any tint is illegal.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt recommend tinting the windshield. on my monte carlo i had 20% all around and 50% on the windshield and got 2 $445 tickets. but other than that i would do 20% on the windows, i plan to tint the hatch 5% and the windows 20% so that'll be mega dark.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 20 on my side windows and had a cop test it and it was like 14ish with the windows but it was pretty dark. During day it was good, but it is hard to see at night, you will need to roll down your windows to park and stuff. But I have the texas heat so I need that dark.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I have been hassled many times for window tint on my front windows, so I went with 50% this time to avoid cops. I have 5% on the rear with the dot matrix covered in black vinyl and T-top shades. The rear window tint and t-top shades make the 50% look much darker...Go this route if you want to avoid tickets.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

In my state 35% is legal 0n the sides and they put a special sticker next to your inspection sticker, if the tint is too dark, no inspection sticker until you remove it. They will also ticket if you get pulled over with any darker than 35%. The guy at the tint shop told me I would be surprised with the 35%, he said on "these cars" (fbodys?) its looks darker than it is, maybe due to the roof height, or whatever, anyhow I think he was correct, satisfied with mine and just one less thing to worry about, a tint ticket.
Attached Thumbnails Getting the windows tinted this weekend-0527001730b.jpg  

Quick Reply: Getting the windows tinted this weekend