Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LEDs in speedo *idea*

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs in speedo *idea*

Ive been going through several of these threads and came up with an idea.

the stock camaro overlay has a bluish tint, so getting a McNord overlay would be a good start...from what Ive read its clear.

so If I went with an WLED xhp5 in white, my numbers should be a bright white with bright red needles. (changing needles is a option if the color i choose doesnt match)

My idea would be to apply violet transparent vinyl to the rear side of the McNord overlay in order to achieve the bright white/purplish color. I know it would be tedious putting the vinyl where the white shines through. I havent seen the rear side of the overlays, so i dont know how hard it would be...Im just brain storming. I like the idea of having all the white show violet, possibley having some green needles......

does this sound like it might work? ideas?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i'll be doing something similar with my mcnord overlay. i didnt know anything about transparent vinyl, so i was considering using cellophane. i want to use a couple different colors, so i figured that would be the easiest option, and just you all white led's. But i may try the vinyl instead, that'll be easier to install than what i was planning.

i'm planning to use either green or blue on the main numbers, with something different for the signals. i'm not sure yet though, i 'll figure it out once i actually get the thing in.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Ive used the transparent vinyl on tail lights....I figure the hardest part will be to cover the white where its real close to the red. If it doesnt look good, you can just peel it off. I think I might give it a go.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds easy enough to experiment with, and reverse if it doesn't come out well. Give it a shot!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Here in the film and TV industry we use "gels" to change light colors. They're VERY high heat and still let tons of light through (they're essentially colored pieces of thin plastic). Google a place called "Film Tools" in Burbank, they have all kinds of colors of gels. Also, I'd recommend xHP6 LED's to get a slightly better/even light pattern.

Remember, the more places to stick your "gels" or tints, the less surface area you have to stick the overlay to your cluster. The whole backside is an adhesive, and if you try to remove your "gel", you might remove some adhesive. But I like the idea.

i'll see if McNord's got an extra overlay sitting around and maybe I'll try it for ya. Film Tools is just 6-7 minutes from my house, I'll see what they've got as far as colored gels.

Quick Reply: LEDs in speedo *idea*