Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Girlfriend Backed into my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend Backed into my car

GF backed into my car, no damage to the bumper from what I can see. But the paint is spider webbed. I let my Insurance end because I am doing some mods to the car and I am not driving it at the moment. Now her Insurance is saying that because her and I live together and I don't have a valid policy of my own on my car at the moment. That they don't have to cover it. She has progressive by the way. Am I fucked? Or are they full of ****?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the fact that you live together has nothing to do with this matter. I would tell the insurance co. that straight up. Also, the point of having liability insurance is so if you hit another guy, even if he doesn't have insurance, he'll be taken care of.

I don't work for an insurance co. or anything but I think they are trying to give you the run around.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

are you on her policy? any time someone hits a PARKED car its their fault, the insurance does have to cover it.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ thats true the mail man hit my car and they had to cover it!

that sucks btw
Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Her insurance should cover it, they will do anything they can to try to avoid it though. That being said, you should never completely let your insurance go, my car has been on blocks for 2 years pretty much (Give or take a few test drives here & there) & I still have coverage on it. I just tell my insurance company I am working on it & want it insured for 0-10 miles a month. I still have the full coverage & its only a couple of $$ a month. Worth it for the peice of mind if nothing else.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

That's Progressive for ya. I've heard sooooo many horror stories from their company not wanting to pay out.

It might be cheaper than the others, but their coverage sucks.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Teching In

When I worked at DTC a plow truck hit my parked Saturn, which I didn't have insurance on at the time. They paid straight up, no questions asked. The insurance pay out was 3 times what I paid for the car.

Just wondering why you told them it was your GF and you lived together? I would have acted as it was random. You might have shot yourself in the foot by divulging that info. Now they probably think they can screw you over. I'd fight it though. I think you have a good case.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Even when having the car parked just having Comprehensive on it is a good idea. In case if fire, flood, hail, theft, vandalism, etc...

But even so, as the others have said, if she hit a parked car (in this case yours), it shouldn't matter if there was insurance on that car or not, her fault and they should pay to fix that car.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
GF backed into my car, no damage to the bumper from what I can see. But the paint is spider webbed. I let my Insurance end because I am doing some mods to the car and I am not driving it at the moment. Now her Insurance is saying that because her and I live together and I don't have a valid policy of my own on my car at the moment. That they don't have to cover it. She has progressive by the way. Am I fucked? Or are they full of ****?
You need to obtain a Policy Form Booklet from her Company, She can ask for one to be sent.

This is considered a At Fault Accident on her behalf. (AFA). It is generally covered under "Property Damage"

Laws vary from state to state in in the booklet they DEFINE EVERYTHING.

If you have NO insurance/vehicle in your name and you live with a signifigant other that does have insurance. Your covered under that policy (or any policy that you have permission to drive). She hit an un-insured vehicle that your apart of the policy and you got denied and Family members, Spouses, Children etc etc cannot use Property damage to fix an uninsured vehicle.

The biggest question is do you have your own auto insurance on ANY vehicle where your the named insured? If so then you could argue that your not domestic partners and you would need to sue her, otherwise suck it up and deal with it.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been in accidents where the other person was at fault and I claimed on their insurance, I never gave them any information about my own insurance. I dont know if they have ways of finding out, but as far as I know, my insurance never found out about them. As far as her insurance is concerned its none of their business really if your car is insured or not since their insured is at fault.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by mike171562
I've been in accidents where the other person was at fault and I claimed on their insurance, I never gave them any information about my own insurance. I dont know if they have ways of finding out, but as far as I know, my insurance never found out about them. As far as her insurance is concerned its none of their business really if your car is insured or not since their insured is at fault.
Well that all depends, was the person that hit the same person you were "living in sin" with?

I am a 50 State Lic. Producer of Property and Casuality Insurance and until the OP can respond on his current coverage situation. These two knuckle heads are considered domestic partners and you cannot sue them. The Fbody would need to have coverage prior to the loss.

We handle this type of policies all the time and Domestic Partner is considered to have the same rights and protection as a "MARRIED" couple.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Well that all depends, was the person that hit the same person you were "living in sin" with?

I am a 50 State Lic. Producer of Property and Casuality Insurance and until the OP can respond on his current coverage situation. These two knuckle heads are considered domestic partners and you cannot sue them. The Fbody would need to have coverage prior to the loss.

We handle this type of policies all the time and Domestic Partner is considered to have the same rights and protection as a "MARRIED" couple.
I would not consider us domestic partners. We have been dating for only 5 months and basically moved in due to the shitty economy. I believe in my state we have to live together for six or more years for it to become a legal domestic partners.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAMSONite
When I worked at DTC a plow truck hit my parked Saturn, which I didn't have insurance on at the time. They paid straight up, no questions asked. The insurance pay out was 3 times what I paid for the car.

Just wondering why you told them it was your GF and you lived together? I would have acted as it was random. You might have shot yourself in the foot by divulging that info. Now they probably think they can screw you over. I'd fight it though. I think you have a good case.

My GF gave up that info when she reported it to her company and they asked me about it. Shes not to bright when it comes to the way of the world. No Common Sense
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Contact the state insurance commissioners office.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

negative

My GF gave up that info when she reported it to her company and they asked me about it. Shes not to bright when it comes to the way of the world. No Common Sense
I always have to tell mine what to say in situations like that, they always want to go off and give away too much information.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

I would not consider us domestic partners. We have been dating for only 5 months and basically moved in due to the shitty economy. I believe in my state we have to live together for six or more years for it to become a legal domestic partners.
Domestic Partner does not need to state definition. It just needs to meet the insurance companies definition. As EVERY insurance co. that does business in Montana is regulated, all policy forms are accepted for the most part. I will bet my bottom dollar that is exactly how this is being viewed.

As I asked before, do you have ANY other vehicle other then your Fbody, that is currently insured??

Here is an example, you can google search this.

A Domestic Partnership is defined as two adults residing in the same household, of the same or opposite gender, engaged in a spouse-like relationship characterized by mutual caring and dependency who:

· are not related by blood to a degree of closeness which would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which they reside, and

· are not married to someone else

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-09-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Domestic Partner does not need to state definition. It just needs to meet the insurance companies definition. As EVERY insurance co. that does business in Montana is regulated, all policy forms are accepted for the most part. I will bet my bottom dollar that is exactly how this is being viewed.

As I asked before, do you have ANY other vehicle other then your Fbody, that is currently insured??

Here is an example, you can google search this.

A Domestic Partnership is defined as two adults residing in the same household, of the same or opposite gender, engaged in a spouse-like relationship characterized by mutual caring and dependency who:

· are not related by blood to a degree of closeness which would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which they reside, and

· are not married to someone else
Yes I do on my Yamaha R1 and DD Car
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, that sucks.. I would have been soo pissed!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i would've given her a donkey punch then a rusty fish-hook lol

seriously though i'd call the insurance back and tell them to fix it
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM
12 Second Club

That sucks

Quick Reply: Girlfriend Backed into my car