Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Painting Calipers

So im gonna be painting my calipers tonight. Im going with red on the calipers and gloss black on the brackets. Couple questions though. Right now i have the caliper off the bracket with the pads out, resting on top of the spindle. My plan right now is to mask everything off using a grocery bag, paint the the bracket, then mask everything else off, and paint the caliper which is still hooked up to the brake lines. Anybody else done it this way? Also, how did you guys prep your calipers for paint? I have been using brake cleaner to clean them but isnt brake cleaner not a very good paint prep chemical? Any other tips?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds just like what I did the first time and it worked.When I replaced brake lines I had them off and redid them which was a lot better but what you are planning will get it done.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i remove the brake lines, will fluid go everywhere? I would assume i would have to bleed the brakes when i'm done as well if i did this correct?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

also did any of you guys use primer?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm going to be doing mine this weekend too.

I bought actual caliper cleaner from dupli-color along with the high temp red caliper paint. I also picked up some self etching primer to spray on before I apply the color. After all that I'm going to finish it up with some high temp clear coat. I'm also going to apply some Camaro caliper decals too.

It seems like a lot of steps, but I don't really feel like doing this again. Also, I've heard that the clear coat makes the finish last longer and makes them easier to clean. Hope this helps. I'll post pics when I finish mine up.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

My last TA I left them on and just masked the hell out of everything. I cleaned them with simple green and then soap and water. Got all the crud out if it was baked on I got out the sandpaper. After that got the dremel out with sandpad on it and smoothed out some edges and such.

Primed them and let the dry hanging buy a wire hanger from axel. Once primer was dry I painted them. Let them sit for a hour or 2 in the sun heat and did next coat. Once that was done I laid 2 layers of clear on them.

While the calipers are drying I did the brackets the same way. I had mine done in 1 saturday and looked real good.

Just make sure you mask everything otherwise over spray sucks.

Im about to do this again tomarrow with out taking them off.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers