Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you remove swirls on windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you remove swirls on windshield?

My windshield has a lot of swirls on it. How do I get rid of them?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the swirls in the surface of the glass, or just as a result of a really filthy windshield?

I had swirls in the glass, they were like very fine micro-scratches. I was told the only way to "fix" them was to replace the windshield, as glass isn't like a painted surface that you can correct.

I thought I'd just live with it, but I had so many of those tiny little scratches that it made driving at night when it was raining very scary as I couldn't see well from all the glare. I ended up having safelite auto glass replace the windshield. Cost a tad over $200.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I never use my windshield wipers. In the event that I get caught in the rain, I try to cut down on wiper usage.

I use some NXT 2.0 wax on the outside windows and it works well for minimizing the appearance of swirl marks on the windows. If that doesn't work, there is a special polish for glass that is used with a machine.

Afterwards, I would clean the wiper blades or replace them so they won't etch the glass anymore. Try not to use the wiper blades when the windshield is dirty. If my car is dirty, I usually wipe the glass down at the gas station if I'm caught in the rain.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Are the swirls in the surface of the glass, or just as a result of a really filthy windshield?

I had swirls in the glass, they were like very fine micro-scratches. I was told the only way to "fix" them was to replace the windshield, as glass isn't like a painted surface that you can correct.

I thought I'd just live with it, but I had so many of those tiny little scratches that it made driving at night when it was raining very scary as I couldn't see well from all the glare. I ended up having safelite auto glass replace the windshield. Cost a tad over $200.
Well, I can see a lot of swirls on the wiper blade's path. Maybe I hadn't been replacing my blades as often as I should. Crap.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
That's why I never use my windshield wipers. In the event that I get caught in the rain, I try to cut down on wiper usage.

I use some NXT 2.0 wax on the outside windows and it works well for minimizing the appearance of swirl marks on the windows. If that doesn't work, there is a special polish for glass that is used with a machine.

Afterwards, I would clean the wiper blades or replace them so they won't etch the glass anymore. Try not to use the wiper blades when the windshield is dirty. If my car is dirty, I usually wipe the glass down at the gas station if I'm caught in the rain.
I'm going to start replacing my blades more often now. lol. I wonder how much a place would charge to use the special polish on the windshield.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keeping your blades nice and fresh will help. I finally decided to buy one of the glass polishing kits, and it's out of stock at the place where I buy some of my product. I'm going to try it out when it come in. The truck sits outside and needs it bad. It needs more than the claybar and water/vinegar spray can do. I also have some customer cars that could use it.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99zee
Keeping your blades nice and fresh will help. I finally decided to buy one of the glass polishing kits, and it's out of stock at the place where I buy some of my product. I'm going to try it out when it come in. The truck sits outside and needs it bad. It needs more than the claybar and water/vinegar spray can do. I also have some customer cars that could use it.
Hey, man. Let me know how that goes. If it works pretty well, maybe you could do my windshield if you're interested.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Launching!

You could try this, I saw this product the other day on AG.net:
http://autogeek.net/lc-pro-glass-kit.html

I have not personally used it, but if you do use it let us know.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Hey, man. Let me know how that goes. If it works pretty well, maybe you could do my windshield if you're interested.
Sounds good. The kit I am looking at has pads that will fit on the Porter Cable. It looks pretty easy, if it works. I will let you know.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I saw in a thread where a detailer used a PC on the glass to bring it back to life
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...en-warned.html

Scroll down and you can see it
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

use this kit.
http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-pro.html
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Have you used it?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

They just used a kit on muscle car this last weekend on project red sled's rear window. It got rid of a huge deep scratch. It was their only option because they didn't make that glass anymore.
Sorry I don't know the name of the stuff, but might be able to find it on their site.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Have you used it?
I have not, but I would go with them because they have good products. I will be doing my windshield shortly and will be going with this exact kit.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Any updates from you guys trying about the polishing kits?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The kit I was looking at won't be in for a few weeks. I talked to the guy that does the extreme details and he uses a Gloss-it product and a rotory buffer. I will look at that if I can't get this kit soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99zee
The kit I was looking at won't be in for a few weeks. I talked to the guy that does the extreme details and he uses a Gloss-it product and a rotory buffer. I will look at that if I can't get this kit soon.
Is the kit on back order or something?

Quick Reply: How do you remove swirls on windshield?