Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intalled LED DRL bulbs, Now Blowing Fuses! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intalled LED DRL bulbs, Now Blowing Fuses! Help!!

Ok I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT. 3157 LED bulbs. I also went to Napa and purchased 2 electronic flashers, Signal-Stat 262 25 AMP 12V. I asked the EL12 and he "said" these were the same thing. Anyway, I intstalled both bulbs and both flashers. Turn ignition on and bulbs flash with each turn signal. However, when I turn my light switch on, the Power Accessory and Tail Lamp fuses keep blowing! I even reinstalled old flashers and same thing happens when light switch is turned on. Anyone have any ideas!!????

thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Process of elimination. Pull the bulbs and turn the lights on. If no fuse blows, then start installing one LED bulb at a time. My guess is one of the bulbs isn't made quite right and the dim portion of the bulb (that is on when the lights are on) has a short in it.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Kane, LEDs and GM fbodys just dont seem to go toghter too well, I have spent more money on trying to add these to no avail. I gave up after the first $50 I wasted on LEDS.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

lol I'm beginning to pick up on that...... Oh well, may be back to replacing plugs and housings......
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Hold on, don't give up on having LED's in your DRL's because someone gave up too fast. I had a lot of issues myself but have finally ironed things out and now have some killer looking DRL's.

Your one and only problem is, DONT buy the cheap LED's. I tried this as well because they look like they will work and you can't beat the price. I had crazy issues going on once they were installed including blown fuses, weird flash rates, one would flash and one would only stay lit and so on and so forth.

The only way you can get led's to work in your DRL's is to spend a little dough on these:http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/B...-p7114831.html

They are made to handle the spikes in power going to those harnesses and are very bright. They have not failed me going on 6 months. Oh and, I did not need and electronic flashers at all. The flash rate is even the same as stock. Go figure.
Hope that helps!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Kane, hang on I just ordered these http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/B...-p5846251.html, I will let you know, if you want to drop $50 on a pair of bulbs?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

what i said..
Old 07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
The only way you can get led's to work in your DRL's is to spend a little dough on these:http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/B...-p7114831.html

They are made to handle the spikes in power going to those harnesses and are very bright. They have not failed me going on 6 months. Oh and, I did not need and electronic flashers at all. The flash rate is even the same as stock. Go figure.
Hope that helps!
How does the brightness on those compare to an incandescent 3157? I just swapped to LED DRLs using another brand bulbs, and they're rated at 60 lumens on bright and 15 on dim. They seem ok, but they are noticeably dimmer than regular bulbs. I wouldn't mind something brighter.

On my car all I did was install the LEDs and a Tridon EL12 flasher. So far, so good.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys, but I think I'll just give on the led notion. I tried each bile separately and they worked fine. Install both and It goes to blowing fuses. And I don't want em bad enough to spend Another $50 for more bulbs, on top of what ive already spent, in the Hopes that they Might work. there are other parts higher on the Want List. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard bad things about the 60's......the 48's last and they are FRIGGIN BRIGHT AS HELL. I have 48 SMT Tower White-Amber (AW) 3157 from Autolumination.com...$27.00 each. I put them in with the EC 12 flashers and let both sides blink for 10 minutes each. They're fine still. Thats like 1 years worth of blinking.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
I've heard bad things about the 60's......the 48's last and they are FRIGGIN BRIGHT AS HELL. I have 48 SMT Tower White-Amber (AW) 3157 from Autolumination.com...$27.00 each. I put them in with the EC 12 flashers and let both sides blink for 10 minutes each. They're fine still. Thats like 1 years worth of blinking.

I can also vouch for the Autolumination 48 SMT bulbs. Just make sure to use led protectors.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427

I like this.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Is it possible to add a resistor in line. Wouldn't that put a constant load on it and maybe keep it from pulling too mutch current???
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is a late reply, but the reason it was blowing fuses was because the LEDs were soldered improperly or had a failed solder joint causing a short. I had a set of cheap eBay LEDs go out on me and they would cause the GAUGES fuse to blow when the key was turned to RUN, until I discovered the solder joints on the LEDs had melted and there was a pile of SMD LEDs laying in my DRL housing.

Replaced them with some different LEDs and all was good.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM

Please do your selves a solid and get SWITCHBACKS LED's I have them and they work great because they are hyperwhite when in driving mode and when the turn signal is used they flash in orange so impress everyone in your city and dish out 30-45 bucks on ebay for a good set of switchbacks : ) they also use the correct wattage and will not blow any fuses or relays so do it and put up some pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails Intalled LED DRL bulbs, Now Blowing Fuses! Help!!-photo-201-1-.jpg   Intalled LED DRL bulbs, Now Blowing Fuses! Help!!-photo-204-1-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSaint21
Please do your selves a solid and get SWITCHBACKS LED's I have them and they work great because they are hyperwhite when in driving mode and when the turn signal is used they flash in orange so impress everyone in your city and dish out 30-45 bucks on ebay for a good set of switchbacks : ) they also use the correct wattage and will not blow any fuses or relays so do it and put up some pics!!!
Those are ridiculously dim... I'll stick with buying a set of Autolumination brand switchbacks.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Those are ridiculously dim... I'll stick with buying a set of Autolumination brand switchbacks.
actually that was after 2 coats of night shades and I have black light housing so of course it looks a little bit dim not to mention this pic was taken during the day so all things considered MY switchbacks are not rediculous probably stronger then anything on the market ; )
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSaint21
actually that was after 2 coats of night shades and I have black light housing so of course it looks a little bit dim not to mention this pic was taken during the day so all things considered MY switchbacks are not rediculous probably stronger then anything on the market ; )
Niteshade explains the dimness, and I guess you may not have seen the epic 11-page long switchback thread where a bunch of switchbacks were bought and tested (including 60LED switchbacks): https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...itchbacks.html
or this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...one-makes.html
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Niteshade explains the dimness, and I guess you may not have seen the epic 11-page long switchback thread where a bunch of switchbacks were bought and tested (including 60LED switchbacks): https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...itchbacks.html
or this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...one-makes.html
Nope I guess I missed that thread but I have 60 SMD LED's and as I said they work great and scince this IS a thread in concerns with trouble shooting DRL LED's then why not switch out and upgrade to better bulbs such as switchbacks? Just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Intalled LED DRL bulbs, Now Blowing Fuses! Help!!