Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Deleting Trunk & Spare Tire Well

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleting Trunk & Spare Tire Well

Well this winter I have plans for some body mods to fit a new exhaust I have planned as well as fixing some rusty spots (thanks Wisconsin ) and deleting these pieces came to mind.

I have seen 1 other car that had it done, but my computer took a **** and I lost all of the pics I had saved.

Basically who has done this and what do you guys think of the idea? I really don't care about resale or anything like that so.....

Also to the guys that have a sub enclosure in the drivers side wheel well, would I still be able to use that style of enclosure if I get rid of the trunk area?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I relocated my battery to where the spare was. Added a tray and hid the wires for an ULTRA clean OEM-looking install! I recommend it! Other than that, I've seen LOTS of pics of rear-ended F-Bodies...most with an INSTANT trunk delete! I'd think that if anything you should use the trunk well as 5 sides of a sub enclosure if you're not worried about ever storing anything there again.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well I'm doing everything to clean up the rear and possible loose a little weight. I thought about a nice big sub enclosure with a couple of 12s, but I don't want to add alot for something that I hardly listen to. But a nice single 10 would be nice to get the bass when I wanted it.

I was also planning on moving the battery to the trunk area or spare tire well to clean up the engine bay. I'm also thinking mini tub because I'm going to an 8.8 thats 4" narrower than the stocker and would like to run some wheels with a nice big dish and not have to worry about any rubbing with some nice big 18s

I found a few pics of a white car that has the mini tub as well as some other mods to the trunk area thats exactly what I had in mind, but I was just looking for some other ideas to make sure its what I want
Attached Thumbnails Deleting Trunk & Spare Tire Well-2009_0212futral0002.jpg   Deleting Trunk & Spare Tire Well-diet2-1.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What exactly is the reasoning behind this? It seems like a feasible mod just dont really understand why you would need that much room under the backside of the car.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also will be looking into a mini-tub in the future. My 12" wide rims with 325-30/19 rims required a lot of hammering and cutting in the wheel wells! As far as that trunk well delete, I don't think it'll save you much weight but it'll definitely kill any chance of storage or even future selling the car to someone that might want a place to put the T-tops. Spend your time and money with go-fast mods and/or remaking the interior panels from fiberglass to loose the weight. I just can't make a good reason for that mod.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not looking to cut hundreds of pounds, or really care that much about it anyway, but just something a little different. I'm keeping the stock rear plastics and it will be carpeted and finished so I'm not worried about it.

Resale-don't care not ever selling the car, too much time and money invested
Ttop storage- hardtop check :shades:

I dislike how some people get all defensive about modifying these cars. It works the way it is so leave it alone. Well the motor ran fine, but it had to be modified. The car looked good but needed a hood, the rear end was working, but I installed a 9" We all modify these cars and kill the resale in some way or another to some buyers, but sometimes having something done differently and correctly can catch buyers intrest in the resale stand point. Plus its cool to have someone look at it and say "something looks different" or you can step back and say I built this or changed that

But seriously I was just seeing who has done it and looking for some pics, I don't need a reasoning for it, I don't like the deep storage area in my car that never gets anything hauled back there so I'm getting rid of it, just like my emmisions, my abs, my asr, my ac, my................
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I'm not looking to cut hundreds of pounds, or really care that much about it anyway, but just something a little different. I'm keeping the stock rear plastics and it will be carpeted and finished so I'm not worried about it.

Resale-don't care not ever selling the car, too much time and money invested
Ttop storage- hardtop check :shades:

I dislike how some people get all defensive about modifying these cars. It works the way it is so leave it alone. Well the motor ran fine, but it had to be modified. The car looked good but needed a hood, the rear end was working, but I installed a 9" We all modify these cars and kill the resale in some way or another to some buyers, but sometimes having something done differently and correctly can catch buyers intrest in the resale stand point. Plus its cool to have someone look at it and say "something looks different" or you can step back and say I built this or changed that

But seriously I was just seeing who has done it and looking for some pics, I don't need a reasoning for it, I don't like the deep storage area in my car that never gets anything hauled back there so I'm getting rid of it, just like my emmisions, my abs, my asr, my ac, my................
Just to be frank, and cut the BS...

your reasoning sucks. you were trying to make a case how everyone destroys the resale for no reason... how does a 9" hurt the value of a car? It may not raise it the cost of the 9" but it definitely doesnt hurt it... lol

Then you brought up abs. acr, ac... those are unneeded, I agree, but the reason I, you, others delete them, is to save weight, or just to simplify things.

Cutting out the trunk also isnt a mod that people are gonna get all fired up and flame you over... just mock you.

Its worthless... it doesn't help you at all...

You said you dont use the space? I dont use sixth gear much, or my window switches... but im not gonna waste money ripping my trans apart to pull that unnecessary gear out. lol

Again, I really dont care if you do or not, but im bored, and I find it amusing that youre fighting for the idea. let it go. lol

Goodnight. lol.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

On a side note, lol, I have thought about doing this...

but it my reasoning is a bit different. I was planning a custom rear mount turbo... A big one. and that would allow me more room for turbo.

Like someone already memtioned... what do you need the space below for?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
On a side note, lol, I have thought about doing this...

but it my reasoning is a bit different. I was planning a custom rear mount turbo... A big one. and that would allow me more room for turbo.

Like someone already memtioned... what do you need the space below for?
Well as I mentioned before my car is from the north where they use salt and lots of it and apparently the previous owners thought that these cars drove good in the winter months but my car is a little rusty and rather than try to refab something why not do something a little different. Plus it gives me more room for exhaust, turbo, whatever else comes up down the road.

I'm not argueing for someone to agree with me, but it seems as though if someone has an idea to do something different than the rest they get flamed for the idea. I was just saying that these cars work from the factory, theres no reason to mod them but we all do. I'm just looking for something a little different for instance I'm cutting out the rear seat pan and welding in new metal that will allow me to run traditional true duals. Why? Because I think that these cars (most cars) sound better if they have tailpipes that are longer than 6" plus I want everything to be tucked up as good, or better than stock and be hidden from the back. My tailpipes will be hidden because in my opinion the camaros look better with no tailpipes.

I'm also going to a mini 4 link or mini ladder bars (probably ladder bars) with an 8.8 rather than the TA setup with a 9" or whatever. And when the 8.8 goes in I will be building my own air bag brackets and installing air springs rather than coils (no air compressors or tanks though) I will also be fabbing my own watts link down the road when I have the rest of the rear suspension done

Basically I'm a fabricator and like to challenge myself. If you don't like the idea thats fine, but just don't get pissed when I do it for no better reason than I want to
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my Trans Am is all sorts of ripped apart right now just because I want to change most of it, so I hope you're not grouping me with the "purists" around here that think the only mod an F-body owner should do is wax. LOL You said for exhaust. Well if you would have mentioned that you wanna run two mufflers AND resonators from a 06 Silverado, I would have understood why you need the space. LOL OK, all joking aside. Is all that cutting, welding and fabbing worth the time for something that doesn't change anything? Cut and fab a pan for under the back bumper "for aerodynamics" (when you go 300+ mph) or more for the look. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to flame anybody's project nor ideas but as I've looked at every piece of my car, with an eye for modification, I just don't see that being worth the effort. If you do it tho, good luck and I hope it turns out like you hope! While you're doing all that cutting and welding, fab up some mini tubs for me!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, to my knowledge he didnt delete the pan/well, but insaneauto86 made a diffuser for his lt1 camaro. Id look over his thread (if it wasnt the one you already had pics of) to give you an idea of the aerodynamics involved; quite a few people gave their input.

IMO it comes down to desire vs necessity. If you wanna do it, do it, but it WILL be a good amount of time and work, so make sure you plan it well (either for a turbo underneath or a system on top or whatever). Aside from that, picsordie
Old 07-04-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My trunk and spare tire wells are gone. Search the drag section for pics. I'm mounting a fuel cell where the trunk was and moving my muffler where the original fuel tank was. Also mini-tubbing it so removing the spare tire wells only makes it easier.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
My trunk and spare tire wells are gone. Search the drag section for pics. I'm mounting a fuel cell where the trunk was and moving my muffler where the original fuel tank was. Also mini-tubbing it so removing the spare tire wells only makes it easier.
Ya I looked up the pics man and it looks good.

I see what you guys are talking about now creating a big air pocket there. I still want to delete everything, but I'll probably do a plate on the bottom to help with drag like insane did.

Thanks for the input guys and I'll keep you posted on what heppens

Quick Reply: Deleting Trunk & Spare Tire Well