Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Microfiber Towels all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Microfiber Towels all the same?

Like the thread title implies.... are all Microfiber towels the same? The reason I ask is I have about 3 different brand(no namers) towels and none of them seem to dry the way I see some microfiber towels dry in online tutorial videos or tv commercials (i know some use cutting/editing). But it seems to me that I should be able to dry a good section of the car, ring out the soaked up water, and continue drying until the car is done. Just tonight I was was drying the car off with a brand new microfiber and about half way through it felt like I was "drying" it off with a water logged sponge. No matter how hard I would ring it out... Anyways, any light shed on this would be helpful. If it comes down to shelling out a few more bucks to get a quality dry, then so be it.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Launching!

I have the super cheap microfiber towels as well and seem to have the same problem. They eventually become saturated and no matter how much you ring them out, they refuse to pick up all the water. I have a thing from walmart called the absorber or something which is some weird rubber feeling material and it actually works really well for drying the car. Not sure if that material is bad for the paint or if it drags debris through the clear while it's wiping though...hope not.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's kind of like everything else. There is a range of products out there. Shop around for some good quality microfiber towels. You have already seen what the lower end has to offer. There is also some microfiber drying towels out there if your trying to dry the car. The waffle weave towel dries very well.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You will get plenty of answers on this but some good reading on micro fiber and other auto detailing stuff can be found @ www.autopia.org which is one of several auto detailing forums on the net, personally I have found that "waffle weave" towels work the best for drying, these are a different variant of a micro fiber towel and for me they dry the best. Most professional detailers shy away from real chamois, fake chamois, cham-wows, water blades, and even dusters all due to micro scratches. Like I say, do some research and make your own decision, AND, you will get plenty of other answers on this subject. I have actually begun to ease off of the waffel weave towels cause now when I have the time, I blow most of the water off of my car with an electric leaf blower and finish up with a waffler weave, works great! YMMV
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't use microfiber towels at all anymore due to swirl marks. Every microfiber towel is different. Stay away from the cheap microfibers because they are made from overseas and are horrible quality!

I use 100% cotton towels and a California blade for drying now. I buy the big shower towels and cut them up. I use the California blade to get all the standing water off then hit it up with the cotton towels.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not all MFs are the same. Waffle weave MFs are the best for drying because of the pockets.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I only use the California blade , Air Hose to get into the seams and my baby I had for 3yrs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the best thing on EARTH . I do not let anything else touch my cars. For spray wax , I will use a micro rag that is the real deal no china **** ...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Cali Waterblade, gets approx 80% of the surface and then MF the rest off. It is not of high quality but I would like to get a couple of Waffle Weave towels soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use the Cali blade myself and use Meguires Micro towels cause i have enough of them from the times that ive bought there kit stuff like headlight restore and clay bar kits
Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any particular brand Waffle Weave towels those that have them would reccommend?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Showroom FX sells a nice waffle weave microfiber. I have the larger towel that he offers and it will pretty much dry and entire car without having to be squeezed out by hand.

It does get wet and heavy but if you keep squeezing the extra water out of it you should be able to dry an entire car with no problems.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaf Blower > *
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Leaf Blower > *
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ never thought of a leaf blower lol
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
^ never thought of a leaf blower lol
Zero surface contact - it can't be beat. It's especially effective if you've got solid beading already, but is still better even without.

The next best thing IMO is something with nap; that's why I'm not a fan of the Cali water blade or Absorber-like towels (the latter of which I just used about an hour ago because I can't find my WW ).

The only WWs I've used are the ones from Pak Shak, but I imagine that they should be equal across the board. When in doubt, CD test.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the money these are the best towels I have found.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SUPER_TO...mic_506_12.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SUPER_Ab...ic_703s_01.htm
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00393VQA8/...8&linkCode=asn

Upon doing some seraching on the net, looks like the very microfiber towel I'm talking about IS a Waffle Weave... albeit, like I described, is nothing but a weighed down sponge about half way through the drying process.... Unable to remove all water from the car because it is so soaked even after ringing it out over and over.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had great results with PakShak's:

Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
I've had great results with PakShak's:

^^^ I will give these a try. Advanced Auto Parts? AutoZone?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

The MF towels at Target are very good and pretty much do not scratch paint. They have low lint.

Always check the MF towels by wetting your towel with your particular soap/water and rubbing against a blank CD, if it scratches, don't use that towel.

I do this every time I buy new Towels, the Target ones have been very good.

MF Towels are pretty darn cheap, use them a handful of times and then throw them out or use them for cleaning engine bays. To Clean the towels I put them in the my laundry washer, a little bit of Dawn and some Vinegar in the rinse cycle, I use a second rinse, and then air dry.

I like to keep the towels separated for different uses, if you use a towel for rinsing, keep them together and wash them together, wax removal towels stay with wax removal. Clean then separately as well.

I use Optimum No Rinse as a car wash, this stuff is awesome, seriously, it rinses clean and when using a MF towel that doesn't scratch or mar a CD to dry the paint, you can rest assure you didn't scratch your paint.

Quick Reply: Microfiber Towels all the same?