Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinting a Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting a Windshield

I'm wondering, does anyone make a tint that could be used on front windshield to cut down on heat and interior fading but not really have any darkness to it? I guess I don't know enough about the film to know if this is possible without adding darkness.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb

I have also wondered the same thing. I never really checked it out myself, so I am subscribing to this thread.

But when my car is parked for any length of time, I have a windshield shade that custom fits the whole windshield. I got it through one of the vendors on here.
LINK

I had it in the car the other day and it was 92*. The car was in full sun for hours and I got in the car and it was warm, but not really uncomfortable. I am buying it for my other cars (not Camaros).

Last edited by 1998 B4C; 07-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

i have a friend with probably 10% tint on the windshield. It looks great but in the rain or at night, it is awful you barely can see to drive it. Maybe something a little lighter wouldn't be to bad.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, that's what I don't want to happen. I'm looking at this for my daily driver. I don't want to have to do the shade thing, but if that's my only choice, then I will.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the same tint that goes on the other windows can go on the windshield, many people do that.

and there are different shades depending on how dark you want. 50% and 35% will be about the lightest you can get, yet they will still offer uv protection.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

I have my trucks windshield done at 35% and LOVE it! You cant even tell when looking out
Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

I don't want normal tint on front. Way too dark for MI law. Need something that looks like there is nothing on the window from outside in front.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

i just googled it (windshield UV) and found some stuff. I didnt really read them since i have no interest in them, but figured you'd be interested in checking them out.

http://windshieldtinting.com/

http://www.tintworld.com/services/au...otection-film/

http://www.prescriptionwindshields.c...onalhybrid.htm

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-sho...indshield.html

http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...4235&WT.srch=1

**just realized the 3m stuff is for residential use, but they probably make the same stuff for automotive
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

for whatever reason i know a lot of gto/g8 guys here in AZ who have done it.

the main one that comes to mind has limo tint all around except for the 'shield, which had the limo strip and the rest was like 20%.

Way darker than id ever go; i can barely stand my dads car w limo (5%) all around, but it did amazing things heat wise.

for legal sticklers its pretty illegal, although most cops wouldnt notice the lighter ones; the gentleman above had some sort of prescription for the tint
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3m does make one. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ineWindowFilm/
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by porksoda
Thank You. gonna mark that one.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by porksoda
yeah i figured they'd have it. its probably the same stuff just marketed for auto use
Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Launching!

i have 30% on mine and love it.

They do make UV resistant films that you could use. I would just get a good tint(UV resistant) applied at a high percentage
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinting the front window is illegal BTW.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

I have been pulled over twice for my dark side windows....cops has never noticed the front being tinted. They wouldnt even be able to check because the meters they use require you to roll down your window enough to slide the meter over the top edge.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by whytryz28
different states have different laws. in california you're not supposed to do anything to the front windows other than what the factory put on. Other states allow different percents to be used, etc. So there's not just a blanket law that applies everywhere.

But either way, since when do laws stop people from tinting windows....
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MurderedOut
i have 30% on mine and love it.

They do make UV resistant films that you could use. I would just get a good tint(UV resistant) applied at a high percentage
OK, thanks for input.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I know. so are the sides here in mi, but that's never stopped me. Even had a Dr. Note for it, that is legal.

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
different states have different laws. in california you're not supposed to do anything to the front windows other than what the factory put on. Other states allow different percents to be used, etc. So there's not just a blanket law that applies everywhere.

But either way, since when do laws stop people from tinting windows....
Agreed!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I'm wondering, does anyone make a tint that could be used on front windshield to cut down on heat and interior fading but not really have any darkness to it? I guess I don't know enough about the film to know if this is possible without adding darkness.
Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I don't want normal tint on front. Way too dark for MI law. Need something that looks like there is nothing on the window from outside in front.
there are quite a few newer films that do exactly this. most of them are pretty clear - as clear as regular auto glass which is about 75%. they all pretty much cut down on UV (fades interior and ages/kills you) by about 99.9% then the real expensive stuff will advertise more heat reduction with less loss of light transfer.

i just got my front windshield "tinted" yesterday. my side windows were done a while ago and i waited to see how i felt about those before doing the windshield. they advertise about 30-40F cooler and i tell you it is a huge difference. i roll down the window and actually start to feel my skin cook.

i went with solargard ultra performance 75 on the side windows and llumar air 80 on the front windshield (i'd recommend using the same film on all 3, but it ended up working out great anyway since they were so clear). they're both "nano technology" ceramic film without the metal that interferes with cell phones and radar detectors. you could go darker than 75 - shops were recommending 55 to me, but i thought that was cutting it too close.

you really cant tell there's any film on the windows unless you're in the car and notice you aren't burning up in the sun, or put on polarized sunglasses and see a rainbow effect on some dark surfaces. if i put the window down part way, you can see the difference, but looks like the glass was made that way.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Bobdole. Good info. I've always had atleast a 35% on front sides and usually a 15 or 20% on rears. So I love my tint and the privacy. If I don't have tint I feel like I'm in a fishbowl. I just don't go too dark. Never did a windshield. I think I'd like to try some of that llumar air 80 on the front. Might check with my local shop that has done my last few tint jobs to see what they say.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tinted windshields look good, but definatley a cop magnet!

Quick Reply: Tinting a Windshield