Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leather Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leather Interior

Does anyone know how possible/how realistic it is to get Heated Leather Seats into a 99 SS? I currently have cloth interior and have been looking at leather out of other SS's.. but I would LOVE to have heated leathers-- Any idea on costs? Who to call? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks in Advance.
-Garrett
Old 01-20-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-20-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Default Absolutely!

Go here: Firehawk Dual Heated Seats
to see my Firehawk setup.
It comes with lighted LED toggle switches and they're toasty!!!
The set is available from Fast Toys.
I've had mine for a year now and they're awesome.
Had mine installed professionally at an auto interior shop.
Not easy; you need someone to remove seats and leather covers, then you need that same person to understand electrical wiring. They're tapped into the power seats and then under dash into fusebox.
Mine switches are in my center console and look STOCK
Old 01-20-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

goto www.autoleather.com and check out their custom leather, and seat warmers, you can check out pics of my leather done by them at www.ssgraphix.com/car/pictures.php

-Steve
Old 01-20-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice lookin interior man.. damn. So sexy. Thanks for your help guys, I'm thinkin of doing a Leather+Heated kit in a couple of weeks so Ill keep you updated, thanks again for your help, CANT WAIT!!

-Garrett
Old 01-20-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

You can do the leather yourself. I did mine myself. Just take your time and you'll be okay. Taking the seats out of the car is painless. Taking the top half of the front seat covers off is easy. Taking the bottom of the seat covers off is a PITA! But very doable. Our cars have some industrial velcro attached to the foam cushions; no hog rings, so once you get the seat cover lined up smooth it down and you're all set. The back buckets have small rings that hold the material to the seat frame. Those can be removed and attached again with needle nose pliers. The one piece seat back is cake, you just have to remove the seat belt brackets and the swivel brackets at the bottom corners to get the seat back out.

As far as wiring the heated seats up, I'm assuming it is pretty simple. You'll have a power, ground, and then a switch you can mount anywhere. If you are tapping into the power seat harness, you shouldn't have to mess with the fuse box at all. Only problem is you have to make sure you turn the heated seats off before you leave the car. I'm sure you've noticed the power seats have 'power' even after you turn the car off.

Best thing you can is pull the seats out of your car (very easy) and take a look at 'em, you'll likely be intimidated at first, but the more you familiarize yourself with them the more confident you will be. Doing it yourself sure beats paying some upholstry shop 300-400 bucks when you can do it yourself over a weekend.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kpowr82
You can do the leather yourself. I did mine myself.

As far as wiring the heated seats up, I'm assuming it is pretty simple. You'll have a power, ground, and then a switch you can mount anywhere. If you are tapping into the power seat harness, you shouldn't have to mess with the fuse box at all. Only problem is you have to make sure you turn the heated seats off before you leave the car. I'm sure you've noticed the power seats have 'power' even after you turn the car off.

Doing it yourself sure beats paying some upholstry shop 300-400 bucks when you can do it yourself over a weekend.
PRECISELY why you don't want to be cheap and take the rigged approach. Me? I PAID a PROFESSIONAL the low fee of $200 and it took HIM all morning and into the afternoon to do it properly.

Only problem???????????????
Guess what; I have NO problem. Because the professional wired into my fuse box, I have the safety of knowing that in case I DO forget to turn off either one of the seats, they will be off as soon as my ignition is off. There is zero chance in my car of ever coming out and finding my seats on fire

'Ya gets whats ya pays for...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from cloth to leather and the seats really arnt that cold (last week for -10 to -45 with the windchill factor) when you first sit in them.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dawg One
PRECISELY why you don't want to be cheap and take the rigged approach. Me? I PAID a PROFESSIONAL the low fee of $200 and it took HIM all morning and into the afternoon to do it properly.

Guess what; I have NO problem. Because the professional wired into my fuse box, I have the safety of knowing that in case I DO forget to turn off either one of the seats, they will be off as soon as my ignition is off. There is zero chance in my car of ever coming out and finding my seats on fire

The wiring is probably easier than covering the seats. I would rather do it myself keep my $200 and brag that i did it.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

KPOWR82 do you have any pics?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my leather myself, it's a PITA. Wiring the car would be cake compared to it.
I would say a cam swap is easier than the leather swap...no joke.
-Steve
Old 01-21-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I meant just new leather seats out of a totalled 98 SS. Not re-covering =/
Old 01-21-2004, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

I did mine a few months ago when they had a gp on them. It is alot easier than people are saying. I did mine in under 4 hours taking my time while vaccuming and cleaning the carpet. I also conditioned the leather when I was done. I started on the back buckets just in case I messed something up. Seeing those hog rings, I thought the whole car was like that and thought it would take me forever. The buckets are the hardest to do. After the buckets it takes no time at all.
I will be putting in seat heaters from autoleathers really soon.
Good luck on the install.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

i've got a group purchase with another leather seat company on two other forums. I've email Tony and he talked with the company and hopefully it will be posted on here. if you like to get in on it or know someone who does email or pm me.

thanks,
thomas...
Old 01-23-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onehardmaro
The wiring is probably easier than covering the seats. I would rather do it myself keep my $200 and brag that i did it.

MYBLKSS: I don't have any interior pics yet, and my car is covered in about 6in of snow right now.

I really don't think a PROFESSIONAL could have done a better job covering my seats than me simply because it doesn't take a professional to do it (there is nothing technical about it, nothing specialized) and they wouldn't care about my car the way I do. I needed everything to be perfect, line up perfectly and fit perfectly.

My only complaint is with the seatcovers themselves. They have the same pattern as the stock, but the material they used (which is supposedly "above and beyond what GM uses") feels cheap. It has a texture to it as opposed to feeling smooth like my stock covers. It almost feels like pigskin. On my leather seats however, only the inserts are leather, everything else is vinyl. But even the real leather just doesn't feel right. Not a very high quality product. Got mine from leatherseats.com
Old 01-23-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dawg One

Well, the problem is you're out $200 because you didn't take the "rigged" approach. According to you, I rigged my seats because I didn't pay somebody else for the labor (*EDIT: Sorry, after re-reading your post, it looks like rigged referred to the electrical work*). It's not like I fabricated the seat covers myself. If you're somebody who pays somebody else to do all of the work on your car, then I feel bad for you. You will never become familiar with your car, and you will never be confident enough in your own mechanical ability. Somebody who does that *in my opinion* is not an enthusiast, just someone with the green burnin' a hole in their pocket.

Oh by the way, in many cases you'll find that this so called "Professional" has nothing more than a high school diploma or GED. Surely he isn't a certified 'Leather Seat Cover Installer'.

Last edited by kpowr82; 01-24-2004 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather Interior