Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leather Interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Interior

I am planning on installing leather interior in my car. Has anyone done this, any good or bad thoughts. Also, where is a good place to purchase the leather? I got the OK to do this and I want to go ahead. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, I have the light gray inhterior now. I was thinking of going with dark seats. The interior already has a combination of light and gray in the dashboard. What do you guys think.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Leather Interior

Personally, and I'd like to stress that this is completely MY OWN OPINION, I'm not very fond of leather seats. While I do like the leather in the door panels, and the shift ****, I HATE LEATHER SEATS. Not just on my Camaro, either. My wife's Jimmy has leather seats, and it drives me to distraction. Here is the short list why...

Reason 1: Winter. Icicles forming on my @$$ is just not comfortable.

Reason 2: Summer. T-tops + direct sunlight + shorts or bathing suit = dimple pattern burned into your @$$.

Reason 3: Cracking. All kidding aside, extreme temperature changes will cause your leather seating surfaces to crack, split, or deform no matter how well cared for. Here in Maryland, it is entirely probable that the ambient temperature can vary by as much as 50 degrees in as little as 24 to 48 hours. This stresses ANY material, but leather seems particularly suceptible.

While still in warranty, I had to have my seating surfaces replaced twice. Now that it is out of warranty, I'm going to chuck the stock seats and put in some Corbeau VX 2000 seats.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

These sites offer leather seat upholstery that's said to be far superior to the stuff GM calls leather....whenever finances allow, I thought a custom combination of neutral w/ navy blue inserts (Katzkin) would look excellent in my Z28...

http://www.classicsofttrim.com/index.html

http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html
Old 12-14-2002, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my seats custom upholsered in two tone leather and had red bowties embroidered into the seats. Ran $2,400. Expensive, but sure turns heads.

Both my SS's have two tone seats pics. in the sig.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Teching In

There are lots of places to get leather interior. you might actually be better off buying some seats out of a vehicle that has been wrecked. it will run you $900-$1000 or so.

Also, if I might make suggestion. People complain about leather seats being cold in winter, and too hot in summer. www.inseatmassage.com sells a very nice seat heater for less than $100, and a combination seat heater/seat ventilator for about... $150, I think. If you have upholstry put onto your existing seats, you might want to have heaters/coolers installed at the same time, just to make things a bit cheaper overall.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking to replace my OEM dark grey leather with white. Any options other than a GM dealer?

Quick Reply: Leather Interior