Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clarification on ZL1 Hood....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clarification on ZL1 Hood....

To everybody who is confused and interested with all this hood talk, allow me to express to you what I am looking for.

The first picture is the hood i believe everybody wants ('00 ZL1 Concept).

The second picture is the DGMotorsports Big Block hood (slightly smaller).

The third picture is the VFN 3" highrise hood (similar, but not same).

Now, I believe I am in the same boat as many of you when I say I am looking for the hood in PICTURE #1. If anyone knows where to buy a functional version of this hood or if anybody knows of anyone who can fabricate a functional version of this hood please help us all out.

I can't stress this more: The hood in Picture #1 is different than the hood in Picture #2 and different than the hood in Picture #3.

WHERE CAN WE FIND THE HOOD FROM PICTURE #1??

I hope you all can understand my question and I hope this will help clarify what everyone is talking about when they refer to the ZL1 Concept hood. Thank you for your patience.
Attached Thumbnails Clarification on ZL1 Hood....-00-zl1-concept-02.jpg   Clarification on ZL1 Hood....-big-hood.jpg   Clarification on ZL1 Hood....-ls1-big-hood.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

I feel your pain man. I have been looking for the true John Moss hood for the past year and half. I have now given up on finding one, I'm trying to find more pics of the hood to get dimensions. My dads friend owns a custom fiberglass shop and I would like to see how much he would reproduce it for. I suspect it won't be cheap, back in the day when RT10 vipers didn't have a fiberglass hard tops he was making custom ones for $3,000.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never stop looking man, keep on keeping on, we need that hood!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people seem to think the ZL1 hood is the same as the SLP Ultra Z hood...
Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find A Place With Hood Scoops And You Will Find That The Zl1 Hood Is Off
A Old Stingray Vet. I Got The Kit And Had It Put On My Hood. I Also Had It Painted The Same As The Concept Zl1 Camaro. I Need To Get The Pic On Here.
With The Hood Pins As Well.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

The VFN 3" SS hood was designed with the ZL1 hood as a reference point. When I helped them come up with the design, we made the SS hood a 3" and not a 4" as planned, and softened some of the lines. The ZL1 hood was made by GM for the showcar and it not commercially available.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
Find A Place With Hood Scoops And You Will Find That The Zl1 Hood Is Off
A Old Stingray Vet. I Got The Kit And Had It Put On My Hood. I Also Had It Painted The Same As The Concept Zl1 Camaro. I Need To Get The Pic On Here.
With The Hood Pins As Well.
That's a great idea. I never relized it was a Stingray scoop. I could graft it on to a VFN light wieght Z28 hood and not have it cost me an arm and a leg. Please post up some pics, or email them to me and I will put them up for you.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
That's a great idea. I never relized it was a Stingray scoop. I could graft it on to a VFN light wieght Z28 hood and not have it cost me an arm and a leg. Please post up some pics, or email them to me and I will put them up for you.
I HAVE THE PIC ON MY FRIENDS CAMRA I JUST NEED TO DOWN LOAD THEM ON THE PC. WHEN PEOPLE SEE THESE PIC I KNOW THEY WILL DO THE SAME THING I DID. I KINDA WANTED TO KEEP IT TO MY SELF TO BE OG , BUT I NEED TO SHARE WITH MY F-BODY HOMIES. YOU CAN GET THE SCOOP IN ABS
OR FIBERGLASS. ABS IS THE WAY TO GO. $47 AT jcwhitney.com (SCOOP)

Quick Reply: Clarification on ZL1 Hood....