Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

PIAA 510 install guide w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PIAA 510 install guide w/ pics

This is an installation guide for those with a Firebird/TA and wants to install some PIAA 510 driving lights in place of the factory fog lamps.

1. First remove the factory fog lights and bracket assembly. I found it easier to go from the bottom on the driver's side and from the top on the passenger side. On the driver's side you must remove the 10mm bolts that hold on the plastic cover beside the air dam. On the passenger side, you must remove one of the headlights to reach the fog lamps. There are three bolts holding on the fog lights. Remove these, unplug the harness and the whole assembly will slide out.

2. Remove the fog lights from their metal bracket. There are two plastic connectors on the bottom and a small torx screw at the top used for making adjustments. Also remove the plastic that was holding the spring and torx screw to the bracket.

3. You will need a dremel or air tool to grind down the hole where the plastic support was on the bracket. Elongate the hole about an inch all the way down to where the bend is and make it wide enough for the PIAA bolt to fit. Elongated hole.

4. The factory bracket has a bend in it toward the top. You must take this bend out so the bolt will have a flat surface so sit flush with the bracket. Straightened bend

5. The PIAA lights will be mounted upside down to fit the modified bracket. You can remove the lenses and turn them 180* by loosening two screws on the side of the PIAA lights. Then bolt the PIAAs onto the bracket using the supplied mounting bolt. PIAAs mounted

6. You will have to cut off the factory wire connector and solder in the PIAA connectors. These will be the only parts used in the whole PIAA wiring kit since we are using the factory fog light wiring system. PIAA harness plug-ins

7. Now bolt the brackets with the PIAAs installed back into the factory fog light location. The PIAAs will pivot so you can adjust them up and down. If they need to be adjusted left or right, use a washer to shim the bracket to where it needs to be. PIAAs installed

8. Go out on the road and see the difference the driving lights make. Make any adjustments. You can use a wall to aim the lights and have a friend drive towards you to make sure they aren't pointed too high.

Questions and comments are welcome. Let me know if I left anything out.

More pictures
Old 12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: PIAA 510 install guide w/ pics

Thanks for the write up!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I also have this same kit wired through the factory wiring. If you have or plan on getting a remote starter, use the piaa wiring into the battery because it will burn out your remote start unit (i have valet 561r) if the car is remote started with the fog lights set to on.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome... I have been thinking about doing this. Do you have any pictures of them on at night so we can see the clarity of the lights?

Does PIAA make a dual filament lamp like this? Would be nice to replace the factory DRL with nice clear white lamps. Actually... it might be even better to have them non dual filament because I hate the way mine look when the headlights are on. Maybe a simple on/off for the blinkers instead of bright/dim. Who is good with electronics and wiring that wants to try this?

Quick Reply: PIAA 510 install guide w/ pics