Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

opinions on clear bra ....?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post opinions on clear bra ....?

I just got my front end repainted. I was thinking about investing into a clear bra but I would like to see if any one has ever done it before and how long they have had it ....?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I got my car painted I was debating on the same thing...but I ended up dwelling on the thought that the cost of a bra for our cars is almost equal to painting those parts again... so if you're tight w/ money just stick it out and then if details don't get most of those scratches just paint it again. That's my view on clear bras. I went to a few shops and they all quoted me close to $800 for side mirrors, front end, and a few other areas. I don't know how much the materials costs, in case you're planning on doing it yourself. Also, my friend's evo has had a clear bra on for the past 3-4yrs and besides a few little dings in the bra it still looks good. hope this helps in some way, shape or form.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize that you are asking about a clear bra, but I can't believe the old black vinyl bra's that were so popular in the 80's are still around. I had one on my first TA in 86. One corner of it came loose during a trip to Atlanta and flapped around and wore the paint off a spot the size of a tennis ball right in front of my tire. I still see them on this site occasionally. I see a red 370z around town with one lately.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
When I got my car painted I was debating on the same thing...but I ended up dwelling on the thought that the cost of a bra for our cars is almost equal to painting those parts again... so if you're tight w/ money just stick it out and then if details don't get most of those scratches just paint it again.
Exactly. Bras make the car look ugly and then the cost is right up there with a repaint anyway. Also, don't bras discolor the car over the area that's being covered?

I say life is better when we keep bras of off cars AND chicks...
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dubga
I realize that you are asking about a clear bra, but I can't believe the old black vinyl bra's that were so popular in the 80's are still around. I had one on my first TA in 86. One corner of it came loose during a trip to Atlanta and flapped around and wore the paint off a spot the size of a tennis ball right in front of my tire. I still see them on this site occasionally. I see a red 370z around town with one lately.

LOL bro sorry hear that about your 86 TA... there is couple of things I like about the clear bra and that is its made of urethane and its clear so there wont be any uneven fading plus they typical come with a five year warranty ....... not sure though about every where else but I know in Virginia it only cost $450 for the entire package w/ install (Front bumper, hood, sides ...ect) thats with military discount of course

I know in Va they take care of us military folks
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by myk
Exactly. Bras make the car look ugly and then the cost is right up there with a repaint anyway. Also, don't bras discolor the car over the area that's being covered?

I say life is better when we keep bras of off cars AND chicks...

there is no way in hell I would put a vinyl bra on not only do they discolor your car but can seriously scratch you entire front bumper if left on for to long b/c of rock chips getting inside the fold ....... I know must clear bra are used on BMWs and Mercedes but I hoping find someone in the forum that has used them and for how long .....
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

also myk your sig got me rolling ......
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

I'm a believer in both the removable bra and the clear bra.

I've had the clear bra on my 2006 Charger daily driver, since the car was new. This car is driven 12 months a year through hot summers and snowy winters. The clear bra has stood up great and saved the front end from some major paint damage.

I've used the removeable vinyl bra on my '99 Camaro SS since the car was new. I use it for highway travel only.

The bra has a few cuts from road debris, but the paint has remained untouched.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good lookin SS
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Teching In

If my car was a garage queen i might if i was going on a trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: opinions on clear bra ....?